Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 403

Iowa game analysis

Here are some of my quick reflections after watching the game at Kinnick (not on TV):

1. The play calling at the beginning of the game seemed quite varied, particularly in comparison with the Tulsa game. I was surprised we didn’t try to do more with the bubble screens, but maybe that was just respect for Iowa’s CBs.

2. Speaking of Iowa CBs, both their CBs and WRs were taking lots of extra shots after plays. Reeves got caught taking a shot back on #11 who just laughed at him for taking the bait. I don’t remember who, but somebody took a hard shot on Knott right in front of the Iowa bench after a play. Knott gave him back some talk and face time, then walked away. He knows when and where to make his statements!

3. Our DBs and LBs are showing some incredible ability to break up passes. Several times, the crowd thought they had a catch, only to see the ball rolling around on the ground.

4. As much as I hate to admit it, I thought their LBs looked a lot like ours in terms of tackling. Fortunately, ours are better against the pass (as noted above).

5. McDonough seemed to step up. He was pressuring the QB, disrupting the line, and even getting in on action near the sideline. I thought he played big in stature, not just making big plays. As much as I like the idea of rotating a ton of DLs in, I like McDonough staying on the field.

6. Of course, the interceptions were disappointing, but I was more concerned with the sacks and lost yardage by Jantz. For instance, on the 2nd and Goal from the 2, Jantz went right and had nothing, but couldn’t throw the ball away because he had already tucked it under his arm. And on one sack, he had Horne wide open downfield. He missed Bruns on another. I supposed that I would prefer a sack with the ball than an interception, but I would like to see him work on throwing the ball away. As for the goal line interception, I want to see a replay because I think the LB may have been hiding behind the ref.

7. Bruns is a player and a leader. After he dropped the TD, he motioned to Jantz to get the ball up. Yes, he should have caught it, but Jantz should have thrown it a little higher. I didn’t sense that Bruns was down on Jantz, just that he wanted a TD. Later in the game, I saw Bruns going all the way down the sideline high-fiving guys and trying to get the team thinking positive. He is my early prediction for a captain next year, especially if he can establish himself as a consistent contributor from the position (such as blocking better, not just wanting TDs).

8. I also saw White making a big deal out of some motion to the sideline from the field. On the next play, they went to him and he got tackled immediately. It seemed like they had a play, perhaps like the one on which he beat Iowa last year, that he could call for when he wanted it. However, he has to learn not to telegraph it to everyone in the stadium.

9. We didn’t connect well on most of our downfield passes, but I loved to see them. You can’t replicate downfield passes very well in practice. I think we are going to make some explosive plays once Jantz and receivers get in sync for these long downfield plays. We have the speed and Jantz has the arm (although I think all the long passes were thrown with the wind).

10. Lastly, what else needs to be said . . . Jake Knott!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 403

Re: Iowa game analysis

I'm curious to hear what some of the rest of you think about some of these things. For instance, did you see the extra hits on the ends? Are we trained on how to draw penalties from them when they start doing this? Iowa's CBs and WRs seemed to be.

What about Bruns? Is anyone else impressed by his leadership (potential)?

What did you think about the downfield passes? Were they just poorly executed? Or should we take a positive from the fact that we were trying them in a close game?

Recruit
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    6. Of course, the interceptions were disappointing, but I was more concerned with the sacks and lost yardage by Jantz. For instance, on the 2nd and Goal from the 2, Jantz went right and had nothing, but couldn’t throw the ball away because he had already tucked it under his arm. And on one sack, he had Horne wide open downfield. He missed Bruns on another. I supposed that I would prefer a sack with the ball than an interception, but I would like to see him work on throwing the ball away. As for the goal line interception, I want to see a replay because I think the LB may have been hiding behind the ref.
    My friend and I were talking about this as the play was happening. It was more apparent on the play right before hand, but it looked like he had strict instructions to run the ball as he didn't look to pass at all on either play.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 532

"3. Our DBs and LBs are showing some incredible ability to break up passes. Several times, the crowd thought they had a catch, only to see the ball rolling around on the ground. "

This. Loved watching this happen. Timing was impeccable.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 299

We got way too conservative after his first INT, and he always needs to look downfield. Horne was so wide open it was ridiculous. Really tought Danny Mac was calling plays.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 168

Our O Line needs a whoopin after the way they played the 2nd half

John Walters is my hero

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,736
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    Our O Line needs a whoopin after the way they played the 2nd half
    For the most part, I agree. But the play right before White's fumble, Steele handed off to White going right tackle, but the line had made a gaping hole in the middle of the field. The whole was big enough that White could have strolled to the goal line, picked a daisy, tied his shoe, and then stepped over for the score.

Made me think that the OL execution was correct, but somehow Steele and White got mixed up and were attacking a different spot on the line. Instead, they ran right to where the OL was pushing the DL.

But of course, that was only my observation from my couch in Texas. Hopefully the guys get everything cleaned up next week.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 792
    Given: 181

Here are some of my quick reflections after watching the game at Kinnick (not on TV):

There were no sacks in the game by either side.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 72

1. The play calling at the beginning of the game seemed quite varied, particularly in comparison with the Tulsa game. I was surprised we didn’t try to do more with the bubble screens, but maybe that was just respect for Iowa’s CBs.
    A lot of our second half struggles on offense may be attributed to having a rookie offensive coordinator. How much Messingham learns from this could be key to our offense performing well in Big XII play.

3. Our DBs and LBs are showing some incredible ability to break up passes. Several times, the crowd thought they had a catch, only to see the ball rolling around on the ground.
    I'm real starting to believe that our secondary is the best yet under Rhoads. We have 15 pass break ups so far this year, which is by far the best in the Big XII (second best is Oklahoma with 9), and second most interceptions (behind Kansas with 5). For some perspective, in 2007 we only had 24 ON THE SEASON. We had 45 last year, which is the most we've had under Rhoads.

Recruit
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Iowa made some great adjustments at half and shut down our running game and mixed coverages enough to disrupt Jantz. ISU has a long ways to go.

-- Iowa is down this year and made the Cyclone offense look pedestrian at best. It comes back to execution. Jantz has to make the throws. He has ample time in the pocket and open receivers. Like last season when the pressure is on Jantz makes mistakes. Western Illinois comes a good time. If ISU gets a big lead I would expect to see Barnett.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 998
    Given: 1,835

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I'm real starting to believe that our secondary is the best yet under Rhoads. We have 15 pass break ups so far this year, which is by far the best in the Big XII (second best is Oklahoma with 9), and second most interceptions (behind Kansas with 5). For some perspective, in 2007 we only had 24 ON THE SEASON. We had 45 last year, which is the most we've had under Rhoads.
    This. The secondary has been fairly unsung so far, as everyone is (rightly) talking about the tremendous LB corp and the 12-deep DL, but the secondary has been terrific. By my untrained eye, Durrell Givens has been the best player on the defense whose last name doesn't start with K.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

#6 - That's a designed run. Not a pass. That is why it was tucked under his arm and not a pass

#7 - Bruns is a player but a leader? Leaders don't complain to their QB after dropping a TD that was an easy catch for a tight end. And that was a catch that you have to make. Thrown away from the defender where only Bruns can catch it.

Recruit
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

An improved secondary should help the D-line get home a few more times this season. It would be nice if ISU had a speedy end to cause some havoc at the line of scrimmage.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 648
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    This. The secondary has been fairly unsung so far, as everyone is (rightly) talking about the tremendous LB corp and the 12-deep DL, but the secondary has been terrific. By my untrained eye, Durrell Givens has been the best player on the defense whose last name doesn't start with K.
    I have thought Washington and Givens have been just as good as our LBers.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 998
    Given: 1,835

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    #7 - Bruns is a player but a leader? Leaders don't complain to their QB after dropping a TD that was an easy catch for a tight end. And that was a catch that you have to make. Thrown away from the defender where only Bruns can catch it.
    I agree with this, except his name is Brun, not Bruns.