Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

Anyone else like this?

My tussle with Flag Guy and superfan got me thinking. I think part of my problem with them is in the significantly different way we approach being a fan. I know a lot of you like to be as loud as you can and show as much spirit as possible. I am completely the opposite, but I don't consider myself any less of a fan.

When I go to football games, I show up about 20 minutes before kickoff and find a decent seat. For the most part, you won't hear a peep out of me the entire game until it is over. I am so focused and nervous for the game that I am completely silent. If I'm watching the game on TV, I prefer to watch it by myself. I can't stand watching with people that don't know what is going on or who any of the players are.

I also bought student tickets for basketball, but I am not in Cyclone Alley. I am very quiet at basketball games as well. I have no problem standing up and I will never complain about anyone yelling during the game. It just isn't something I like to do myself.

Is anyone else like this?

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Anyone else like this?

No, I'm pretty much as loud as I can be for 60 minutes. At home watching TV is no better, my wife knows when the Broncos are on there's going to be some yelling, it's a given.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Umm...no. I have a hard time believing what you're saying, too. If you are that big of a fan, you should be able to show emotion about your team. Not to mention utter a single word as you've apparently made clear you don't do. If you are looking for people who know what's going on and know the players, most of those people are the people like flag guy and superfan...the guys who spend months looking forward to the season, learn the rosters, know depth charts, know who is good at what and all that sorts of stuff.

If you're just a quiet guy, then that's fine. But if you can't say a word during a game, or get emotionally involved in the activity beyond an "I'm here" level, then I'm sorry, but that makes you less of a fan.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    My tussle with Flag Guy and superfan got me thinking. I think part of my problem with them is in the significantly different way we approach being a fan. I know a lot of you like to be as loud as you can and show as much spirit as possible. I am completely the opposite, but I don't consider myself any less of a fan.

When I go to football games, I show up about 20 minutes before kickoff and find a decent seat. For the most part, you won't hear a peep out of me the entire game until it is over. I am so focused and nervous for the game that I am completely silent. If I'm watching the game on TV, I prefer to watch it by myself. I can't stand watching with people that don't know what is going on or who any of the players are.

I also bought student tickets for basketball, but I am not in Cyclone Alley. I am very quiet at basketball games as well. I have no problem standing up and I will never complain about anyone yelling during the game. It just isn't something I like to do myself.

Is anyone else like this?
    The way I watch TV on sports is much like the way you do, jahfg. I don't yell or scream at the TV. I might occasionally pump my fist with excitement or roll my eyes in frustration, but other than that, I'm I'm pretty quiet and completely focused on the action.

The best example I have of this is when the Denver Broncos played in the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers. I was living on the East Coast then, and I had invitations to about half a dozen Super Bowl parties. But none of my friends at those parties were Broncos fans, so I elected to watch the game at home, by myself, with my phone close by so I could talk to my dad about once a quarter.

Attending a sporting event in person is another story. When I'm at a Cyclones game or a Broncos game, I figure that my "job" is to vocally support my team. I don't pay any less attention to the game, but I cheer like crazy to fire up my team and to create an intimidating and disruptive environment for the opposing team. There's a reason that some teams have great home-court or home-field advantages -- because their fans loudly and vocally support the team. There wouldn't be any advantage if every fan sat on their hands and quietly watched the game.

I'm not saying that the way you watch ISU games in person is wrong, jahfg. I can understand it. But what superfan and Flag Guy do isn't wrong, either. You may have different styles, but both are perfectly valid ways to root for the Cyclones.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    Umm...no. I have a hard time believing what you're saying, too. If you are that big of a fan, you should be able to show emotion about your team. Not to mention utter a single word as you've apparently made clear you don't do. If you are looking for people who know what's going on and know the players, most of those people are the people like flag guy and superfan...the guys who spend months looking forward to the season, learn the rosters, know depth charts, know who is good at what and all that sorts of stuff.

If you're just a quiet guy, then that's fine. But if you can't say a word during a game, or get emotionally involved in the activity beyond an "I'm here" level, then I'm sorry, but that makes you less of a fan.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm on a high horse because I think not getting emotionally involved with the team makes someone less of a fan? I'm not criticising him for his quiet style. He can view a game however he wants. But if you attend a game in the home stadium of a team that you call "yours", there is no reason you shouldn't react in some way to what is going on on the field. That's bull.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey to each their own......

I'll consider a person who goes to the game, is entertained, knows the game, and is quiet about it a better fan than a person who gets half naked and wears body paint and screams their head off all game. Why? Cause that first guy cares about his team and he doesn't have to act like an idiot to show it. I'm not judging all people who do the crazy-fan type of things, cause I know a lot of them are also good, true fans.

But like I said, to each their own........

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

But if you can't say a word during a game, or get emotionally involved in the activity beyond an "I'm here" level, then I'm sorry, but that makes you less of a fan.
    I would call that criticism.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ia8manfan View Post
    I would call that criticism.
    My point is not that I think you have to paint yourself and stand in the front row and yell the whole game to be a fan. But he claims that you won't hear a peep out of him the entire game, and to me, that speaks of someone who doesn't care about what's happening. Not a simple "Come on." when you think a call is bad? No standing up and singing the fight song? Seriously? I know i'm gonna get neg-repped and probably ripped over these posts, but that's how I feel. Being a fan, and most definitely a "fanatic", you have to have some sort of emotional investment in the team and the product on the field. If you lack the ability to show any signs of emotional attachment, I'd have a hard time believing you're a fan.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Personally, I enjoy being in the front row and yelling myself hoarse, but I definitely understand where you're coming from jahfg. Everyone has their own style, and I don't think calling anyone's "fanhood" in to question based on their volume at football or basketball games is appropriate. Since you seem to respect everyone else's right to yell as much as they want at the games, I'm more than happy to respect your right to enjoy the games in your own way...

Walk On
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Do you think the team on the field thinks "man, we're going to lose because someone's not singing/yelling/celebrating..." or the athletic department "man, this dollar isn't worth as much, because the purchaser didn't sing..."

When you get down to it, it's about money. He paid it. He bought entertainment. If you're entertained by singing the fight song, go ahead. If he's entertained by taking it all in, so be it. You both got your money's worth. You're both wearing your cyclone gear (I hope - because that goes to the money thing again...).

Personally I lean to the latter. I'm sure you've heard some junk about personality types and such - well I "get energy" being alone, and "spend" it being with others. On gameday, 50k others, I prefer to just take it in and enjoy the atmosphere.
    With that said, I also acknowledged it's my senior year, and decided to "see what it's like". And as such, and a friend of superfan and flagguy's, I'm one of those caped and painted guys you see with them on the jumbotron. However, I won't go all the way this weekend
    And I likely will never go this extreme again after I graduate in May

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

Trust me, there is definitely an emotional attachment. I just don't let it all out until the game is no longer in question. I know my stuff just as well as the guy that screams his guts out.

I think part of my demeanor during games is related to the fact that I want to coach in the future. I look at games as more of a coach (especially basketball) than a fan, and coaches tend to stay pretty stoic. I still enjoy every bit of the atmosphere at JTS and Hilton.

Last edited by jahfg; 11-07-2007 at 02:20 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Do not worry about what other people think. Live your life the way you feel is appropriate for you. As long as your at peace with yourself, that is all that matters. (Of course this assumes you are not molesting children, comitting rape, murdering people, .....)

The fact you have the Clone gene should make up for anything you question about yourself.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

My point is not that I think you have to paint yourself and stand in the front row and yell the whole game to be a fan. But he claims that you won't hear a peep out of him the entire game, and to me, that speaks of someone who doesn't care about what's happening. Not a simple "Come on." when you think a call is bad? No standing up and singing the fight song? Seriously? I know i'm gonna get neg-repped and probably ripped over these posts, but that's how I feel. Being a fan, and most definitely a "fanatic", you have to have some sort of emotional investment in the team and the product on the field. If you lack the ability to show any signs of emotional attachment, I'd have a hard time believing you're a fan.
    I couldn't disagree more.

The guy buys tickets and goes to the games and he enjoys it. What is wrong with that? Questioning if someone is a fan is just ridiculous here. The guy is on a Cyclone message board as well...I'm pretty sure he is just as much a fan as you are, possibly more.

Should we be turning fans away at the door if they aren't going to yell and scream for Iowa State?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 82

Im just happy you are at the game supporting your team. I wont ask for much more. There are plenty of the rest of us who will be loud.