Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I support the decision against Lucca

Dear President Brand:

I am writing to voice my support for your recent decision regarding Lucca Staiger and Fabien Boeke. Stripping them of one year of eligibility and rendering them unable to play this season is not only the right decision to make, but it is a necessary step in preserving the game of college basketball as we know and love it. While you may have received complaints about your decision, I believe those people have taken a fair and balanced look at the situation.

Pursuit of excellence... integrity... respect... these are words that permeate the mission of the National College Athletic Association and words that carry with them a great deal of responsibility. As an American citizen, I understand responsibility, and I understand why college basketball, not baseball, is the real game of America and must be protected from the 423 players from foreign countries that snuck onto Divison 1 rosters in the last year alone.

The desires of the young people who come here from other countries to play basketball run counter to the mission of the NCAA, even if they would have you believe differently. Take for example this University of Hawaii, detailed in this article published on your web page. The coach of the team, Riley Wallace, says, “International players are almost always academically sound and very disciplined kids, and they have the fundamentals that a lot of American players lack”. Already it is clear that Wallace is stereotyping the American player and tearing him down. The University of Hawaii, already distant from our shores, is pulling away from the core values that make us American, the Manifest Destiny that our nation thrived upon so long ago.

The truly perverse thing about foreign players coming to the United States to play basketball is that they want to have the best of all worlds, not just the best of Europe or Asia that they already have. Many of the talented players that come here could easily play semi-professional or professional basketball in their home countries, but instead are seized by greed and come to the United States desiring both an education and a chance to play basketball. Look at Emmelie Geraedts from the Netherlands, who plays women's basketball for California. She says in this article “I basically didn't have a choice but to come to the United States if I wanted to play and study at the same time and place”. She wasn't asked about dessert, but if the reporter had asked she probably would have admitted she wanted to have her cake and eat it too. In my mind she should stick to playing with the Dutch National team and take advantage of the public welfare those Communists have.

But if you are looking for examples of the danger that international players pose to college basketball and the NCAA then there is no better example than Dirk Nowitzki, who is a player for the Dallas Mavericks in the National Basketball Association. You may be thinking to yourself, “Wait, wasn't he the first person that didn't play high school or college basketball in the United States to make the First Team All-NBA team?” and if that is what you are thinking Myles Brand, then you are correct. The natural followup thought to that is, “Well, what does Dirk Nowitzki have to do with college basketball today?” and I am very glad you asked. Apparently one does not become President of the National Collegiate Athletics Association without being quite sharp.

The thing is that Dirk wanted to come play basketball in the United States, and he wanted to go play at Villanova, where he likely would have stolen a scholarship from a Villanova icon such as Kerry Kittles or Tim Thomas, who both went on to stellar careers in the National Basketball Association. Of course, he may not have ended up at Villanova, as there were a number of people aware of his talent. After Dirk dunked over Charles Barkley in an All-Star game in Europe, Barkley offered him “any amount of money he wanted if he would come to his alma mater Auburn” to play basketball. Can you IMAGINE the outrage that would occur if it was discovered that a player had actually accepted money during his recruiting process? Talk about single-handedly undermining the sanctity of amateur sports.

Fortunately for all of us, young Dirk was drafted into the German military and forced to excel at professional basketball in Germany before the Mavericks drafted him in 1998. Predictably, the NBA endured a strike and lockout the first year of Dirk's career and has never recovered in terms of overall fan interest.

Imagine then, an alternate reality where Dirk Nowitzki did attend Villanova or Auburn and starred in college basketball, likely encouraging more talented young international players to utilize their talent in college basketball here. Does the NCAA need scores of talented and hard-working young players from overseas to make it big? Of course not! It's already huge without them! Why change the status quo when it is working so well? For every Hakeem Olajuwon or Detlef Schrempf that does manage to do okay in college basketball and go on to play professionally you have dozens of Darko Milicics and Nickoloz Tskitshvilis who likely would have sucked even if they did play college basketball.

In short, I applaud your decision to suspend these two players. There is no reason for college basketball to reach outside of our fifty states for talented basketball players, and your courage can held to preserve the game that we all know and love. There is a reason that it is the National Collegiate Athletic Association and not the International Collegiate Athletic Association after all. Please hold firm on your decision and do not recant, as it is not the American way to afford people opportunities to educate themselves and advance their lives unless we say they can.

Sincerely,

Xenophobic

PS: Since you are done with Iowa State after dealing with Lucca and Jiri, you may want to cleanse the remainder of the Big 12. I would suggest investigating the following talented players of international origin in that corrupt league. Most of them are skilled enough to have competed on national teams for their home countries and represent the kind of international player that threaten to destroy college sports. If you do a little digging I think you will be shocked at the kinds of people they associate with:

Baylor- Aaron Bruce, Mamadou Diene, Djibril Thiam
    Nebraska - Aleks Maric, Shang Ping
    Texas A&M – Antana Kavaliaukasas
    Texas – Dogus Balbay, Alexis Wangmene

Last edited by Xenophobic; 11-06-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

Re: I support the decision against Lucca

Nice one...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 14

uhh...booo!

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

niiiice...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Umm booo?? Read the whole thing, it was very well thought out.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 392

He got some credits for that baby.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow, someone big neg repped you, I could only get you back up to 8000.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well done. (In case anyone was wondering, this is obviously satire).

Seneca Wallace.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Can Myles read that long a letter when he has his head up....?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I really think people red the first couple lines, didn't read past that and went off on him.

A very unique, interesting approach in this letter from the others I've read. It certainly can't hurt.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Brilliant post!

Go cyclones

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I nearly auto-neg-repped that post because of the title. Positive rep for you, sir. Well done.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Can Myles read that long a letter when he has his head up....?
    He generally has his head up his ***.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

That was good. I think I could see your tongue poking a hole in your cheek as your wrote it.

Fanatic #25

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 14

my bad on the neg. rep..i will make up for it....please dont shun me