Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

DM Register Podcast - Randy Peterson

Heard the DM Register Podcast on the big game and got a perspective on the series that I really did not expect from Randy Peterson.

http://hawkcentral.com/2012/09/05/se...tball-preview/

He thought that if you asked the head coaches that they would just as soon not want to play this game if given the option. He also thought that the Indiana, Purdue and Minnesota (and conference games for ISU) were much bigger than the ISU/Iowa game.

I am not sure about Coach Ferentz, but Coach Rhoads thinks this game is a big deal and loves the rivalry? I have been to many ISU/Iowa games and many Big 10 - Big 12 in both Jack Trice and Kinnick. The energy in tailgating and in the stadiums is just at a much higher level for this game.

This talk about conference games being much bigger than the ISU/Iowa game is just not accurate. This game is at least as big as conference games to the fans, coaches and players of both teams. People who try and pretend different are kidding themselves. Rivalries are what drives college football and this is both Iowa and Iowa States big rivalry game each year. The evidence is overwhelming. Hawkeye fans want to play this game down, but they want to win this game just as much as we want to win and all of this carries over to the players and the coaches.

Last edited by RedRaven; 09-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Re: DM Register Podcast - Randy Peterson

Honestly, with the 9 game, brutal big 12 conference schedule, i wouldn't mind it going to an every other year situation so we could have more freedom in scheduling, whether that be to water the schedule down a bit (so we're like... top 25 instead of top 10 SOS), or to just be able to schedule other opponents (i wouldnt mind say... switching off with minnesota, for example, if that sort of series could be set up)

Sure, its a rivalry game, and i think it played a big part in getting the fans back in when we sucked for so long in the 80s\90s, but in any given year if i could trade the iowa win for an additional conference win, most years i would take that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 40

It is a fun game for the fans, but a higher conference finish translates to a better bowl game and better bowl games translate to a higher national profile. I would have traded the win over mediocre Iowa last year for a win over any other B12 team last year. No one outside of Iowa pays much attention to this game but had we been able to knock off a highly ranked KSU on the road (for example), it would have been a much bigger deal for the program.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Respectfully I totally disagree. Every confernece game is much more important for ISU in my opinion. This game may be fun to tailgate at, but in level of importance every single conference game is much bigger as I see it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I disagree. Nothing is more important than a conference win. Finishing higher in your conference brings the respect we seek, as well as better bowl games, national exposure, etc.

We could beat Iowa every year from now until Eternity, but if we never win anything else of any significance it won't matter.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    It is a fun game for the fans, but a higher conference finish translates to a better bowl game and better bowl games translate to a higher national profile. I would have traded the win over mediocre Iowa last year for a win over any other B12 team last year. No one outside of Iowa pays much attention to this game but had we been able to knock off a highly ranked KSU on the road (for example), it would have been a much bigger deal for the program.
    Yep. If we win one more game, instead of finishing 8th, we finish 6th, or even a tie for 5th (a 4 way tie) if that game is Missouri. If we finish off the year winning either the OU or KSU games, the end of our season looks much better with not just one but two major upsets in our last 3 games to finish the year, and maybe we get pulled up to the holiday bowl after that much publicity. Or maybe we erase one of the embarrassments that was Missouri on the road or UT at home. So much more upside to be had by winning an additional big 12 game.

Plus, for national exposure, if all we do is beat iowa, everyone just writes it off as either a rivalry win, or just writes it off that the big 10 is a mediocre team, and iowa is just a mediocre team within that conference, so us beating them doesn't mean much (and there is some truth to that)

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,971
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 37

I understand the thought behind it. 9 conference games is brutal. Putting an OOC rivalry game in there with a BCS school is a tough deal. The thing is though, no matter what people think, this is actually good for the state and the town that hosts the home game. When these games don't sell out, when the Iowa media stops talking about it during the week, then yeah, you could justify not playing the game anymore. Until then, over all it means more than getting an extra cupcake on the schedule imo.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

I look forward to this game every year for bragging rights. For me obviously, it's about beating a team you hate & entertainment in general. Sure if we could get a easier opponent and and extra win in conference it's a no brainer. But if we played like Tenn. Tech or something, I wouldn't even be that jazzed about the game. The anticipation would be much lower.
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Listen, I want the Kansas State game to be bigger than the Iowa game. But the heart speaks much more than the head on this game and the truth is that in a family split with both Iowa and Iowa State fans this game is bigger for me than the KState and other games. How many other games are as personal with family and friends? Iowans have relationships involved in this game and it makes this rivalry big. Other games do not have this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
    Listen, I want the Kansas State game to be bigger than the Iowa game. But the heart speaks much more than the head on this game and the truth is that in a family split with both Iowa and Iowa State fans this game is bigger for me than the KState and other games. How many other games are as personal with family and friends? Iowans have relationships involved in this game and it makes this rivalry big. Other games do not have this.
    I don't disagree from a fan's perspective. But Peterson seemed to be discussing the coaches' perspective and I imagine they place a higher value on conference wins.

DistrictCyclone

Heard the DM Register Podcast on the big game and got a perspective on the series that I really did not expect from Randy Peterson.
    I rarely expect perspective from Randy Peterson.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's fine if you see it that way for you personally, but when you say "This game is at least as big as conference games to the fans, coaches and players of both teams. People who try and pretend different are kidding themselves.", youre putting words in other people's mouths, and that's why you're getting disagreement. I get why people like the game, but at the same time people can differ in opinion without 'pretending different'.

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    I don't disagree from a fan's perspective. But Peterson seemed to be discussing the coaches' perspective and I imagine they place a higher value on conference wins.
    I think you are right that both coaches would value a conference win more. I disagree with RP on saying that both coaches would opt out if they could. This game is big for both Iowa and Iowa State in many ways - media coverage, athletic revenue, state commerce, recruiting, high school coach/player relationships etc. It is so much more than just the game in this case.

Last edited by RedRaven; 09-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

I like ISU winning this game simply because it shuts up about half of their obnoxious fans. Even if ISU won by 50 there would still be some of them that would rationalize why ISU is a worse team, and we will never get past that. Other than that, it is just another game. It is a more important game to ISU simply because the Clones don't get the luxury of playing in a conference where half the teams are horrible to mediocre.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

I think there is more support than ever for dropping the game because both schools are trying to either establish or re-establish themselves as factors in their conference and seeing progress, but slow progress. Stocking up on "guaranteed" wins seems like the most obvious way to jumpstart the process. However, this game could really be something (even more than it is) if both teams could reach and maintain that higher level of relevance within their conferences. If we dropped it and then both teams became factors in the Big 12 and Big Ten, respectively, there would be a lot of regret about losing the game.