Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 230

Thoughts watching the Tulsa replay

Here are some thoughts as I watch the game. Feel free to post yours as well.

• Shontrelle Johnson can take a run from hitting the B gap to the C or A gap incredibly fast and easily. He makes it easy on the Oline by being able to get through small holes that other RBs wouldn't be able to see, get to, or get through. If you give James White a hole, he is dangerous, but SJ doesn't need as big of a gap.
    • When Jantz leads the receiver on the bubble screens so they have to run forward to catch it they are much more effective (especially Horne) 18:10
    • On the safety, Lichtenburg didn't have a prayer to block the end that made the tackle, that was a rare terrible playcall for last Saturday.
    • Unfortunately the blocked kick was just booted into our line. I think it was Simon that it was kicked into. I was kind of hoping it was more us than their kicker. I'll take it though.
    • I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but on 3rd down we tend to throw way past the first down marker. There were a few times just in the first half that we threw the ball 20 to 40 yards in the air when it was 3rd and short.
    • Jantz looks really good. The incompletions he has thrown so far have been 3 drops and a couple deep passes that were overthrown where nobody could catch it but the WR. He also looks good against the blitz, and was calmly hitting slant routes off straight pass plays and off playfakes.

That's only through the first half.

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,355
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 392

Re: Thoughts watching the Tulsa replay

When I watched the game on my DVR I was surprised how many yards after contact that Shontrelle consistently got. From that performance it looks like he is in line for a huge year.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

Good post, makes a guy more confident in Jantz poise in the pocket. I saw some of his tendancies to scramble back which can lead to big losses.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,224

A couple things I was curious about, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch a replay:

- Did we blitz even once? I didn't see it if we did.
    - How was the blocking by the TEs (esp Brun) and WRs? I thought early that Young had a good block on a bubble screen, and in the second half it looked several times like our TE came out and cleared the DB on the successful bubble screens, but I couldn't tell on the running plays.
    - How'd the backups on the D-line look closer up? I looked to me like we played 11 or 12, and at a distance they all looked good, but I'd like a closer look.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 31

• Shontrelle Johnson can take a run from hitting the B gap to the C or A gap incredibly fast and easily. He makes it easy on the Oline by being able to get through small holes that other RBs wouldn't be able to see, get to, or get through. If you give James White a hole, he is dangerous, but SJ doesn't need as big of a gap.
    This is why I always thought Shontrelle is a clear improvement over White and why his return this year is provides a noticeable upgrade to an already strong position. While White isn't slow, Shontrelle is quicker and does better job making a play where one isn't there.

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,355
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 392

We sent LB's on blitzes a few times. The ones I saw were pretty successful. AK had Cody Green dead to rights and then missed the tackle but there were 3 more guys there to bring him down. I think Knott got sent on a blitz at least once to.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    A couple things I was curious about, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch a replay:

- Did we blitz even once? I didn't see it if we did.
    - How was the blocking by the TEs (esp Brun) and WRs? I thought early that Young had a good block on a bubble screen, and in the second half it looked several times like our TE came out and cleared the DB on the successful bubble screens, but I couldn't tell on the running plays.
    - How'd the backups on the D-line look closer up? I looked to me like we played 11 or 12, and at a distance they all looked good, but I'd like a closer look.
    I'll watch for these in the 2nd half. I did notice specifically one time where Brun just cleared a defender on a bubble which turned into a very good 7 or 8 yard gain. Horne tweeted after the game something about working on his blocking because it wasn't good. I think Saturday it was average, but I would look for it to improve in the future because there seems to be a focus on it.

To answer another question, I don't know about total blitzes, but CPR said last night on the Applebees show that the only time they sent a blitz where there was single man coverage only was the play that Sam Richardson broke up a pass near the sideline.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 136

Our delayed blitz, especially knott coming on a free path, made Green hurry some bad throws

John Walters is my hero

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 36

I agree with what was said above, SJ does a fantastic job of keeping his feet moving so he can continue to go after being hit.

I noticed that Tiller had a good block on one of the screens but the receiver dropped the pass.

I thought Jantz looked good.

Overall, excited for the season and this weekend's game.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 82

That "blocked" kick...I think we laughed for about 30 seconds on that during the game. It seriously looked like the kicker was aiming for the center's sack. If he was....he got em ;)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Looks like we'll have a change on special teams:

Iowa State Football
    Defensive back Kenneth Lynn will now where jersey #6. The change was made for special teams purposes.
    Make it so Horne and Lynn can be on the field at the same time?

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 35

-Yeah I thought Jantz looked very impressive. Yeah he made a few mistakes but he is a completely different player in my eyes than last year.
    -Running game looked pretty good. I thought the line did a good job creating holes and the backs(SJ and White) did a great job running with the football. I couldn't believe some of the runs we had right up the gut also.
    -I thought Van Der Kamp did a great job punting and I have faith in Arceo for right now. It might be Bueker's impressive holding though.
    -I thought we did miss a few too many tackles but I think that will improve
    -DL in the 4th quarter looked like they were getting a pretty good rush. I think this is when the depth will pay off a lot.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

2nd half:

• Simon knocked down a pass. I know Rony Nelson gets a sack later, and Morrissey does as well and forces a fumble at the end of the game on it. That alone is good production for 2nd and 3rd team players IMO.
    • Our line is really blocking noticeably well even without me paying a whole lot of attention to it, especially run blocking. Pass blocking was good, but I think our success passing was equal parts Jantz being pretty unflappable and the line giving him decent time. Jantz has not been holding onto the ball very long.
    • Also missing from the 1st half, that touch pass with pressure by Green and tiptoe catch was probably Tulsa's most impressive play all game IMO. Even the 70 yard run, although I haven't seen it yet.
    • Holy crap, see my post about Shontrelle Johnson again. His acceleration legitimately reminds me of a rabbit. Wow. It might even be better than West's.
    • Lenz just had a really good block to allow West to get a 1st down. Tiller just had a good cut block on one, but the pass was incomplete on a very high pass from Jantz. Chris young held a block to allow Horne to get a couple yards for a first down. Howard and Lenz both just held blocks on one. They didn't really drive their man though on that one. Howard just whiffed on a cut block and we lost yards, but it was another defender who made the tackle.
    • Jantz is running the read option REALLY well. The oline is dominating in the 3rd especially. White just scored and had a few huge holes on that drive with Jantz keeping it a couple times on read options for good gains.
    • McDonough has been getting good penetration. Morrissey just had a TFL.
    • Just saw a play where we blitzed Klein on the right side and dropped Morrissey into coverage on a zone blitz. Very interesting. Only rushed 4 total. To answer an earlier question I think we only rushed 6 that one time. Any other blitz was probably 5 with a defender playing zone over the top or something like that.
    • Maggit had the pressure that forced the first pick by Green that Givens caught.

Thats the 3rd.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    Looks like we'll have a change on special teams:

Make it so Horne and Lynn can be on the field at the same time?
    Yeah I assume so. I saw them both on the field at the same time for a punt return and I was laughing because I'm pretty sure that is illegal.

SIDENOTE: Jantz just had his bad sack. He was sprinting almost straight backwards. Oof. Lost 10 yards at least.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

4th:

• We just had another zone blitz with Klein, and he had fantastic pressure, Green stepped up and Kron cleaned him up for a sack.
    • Broomfield just cleaned up the Tulsa WR who had 9 catches for 90 yards up to that point. Big play, Tulsa was lucky that when he dropped the ball he was down, because the Tulsa player just dropped it when he got popped.
    • They just had a few clips and a feature on Bykowski and he was pancake blocking and making some other really good blocks.
    • Hammerscmidt just missed a block on a bubble screen, but the defender went outside and Tiller cut inside for 5 or so yards.
    • On the 70 yard run. Washington was obstructed by a ref, but it was more of a screen and he had to go around the ref and it forced him to take a bad angle. He probably would have made the tackle, but it wasn't a huge collision or anything.
    • Jansen Watson wasn't really even close on the jump ball TD for Tulsa. Basically still standing on the ground when he caught it.
    • Might as well say it again. Johnson is shining on this final drive.
    • Jantz just took a sack on a blitz. They rushed six and the rusher was unblocked.
    • If you remember it, the catch that Gary almost had that was called incomplete was clearly incomplete due to fantastic camera work. It was really close but there was a great angle at it. I remember being mad there was no review.
    • Knott has dropped a couple interceptions. He is a LB and it isn't expected obviously, but I think he has the skill to catch at least one of those two.
    • Jantz just took a coverage sack. First one where he really held it too long.
    • They seem to be going after Sam Richardson a little bit with Reeves out. He is holding his own.
    • Wow that Tulsa player got extremely lucky falling down horizontally and his foot just happened to tap down an inch inside the boundary. He was completely out of control of his body at that point.

That's it. Good game to watch. Good win.