Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 0

Iowa Loses to Northern State?

Apparently, they had a controlled scrimmage over the weekend and they lost to this team 61-57. I mean I know the talent is lean on this year's squad, but they could be
    unbelievably bad.

-Weekend Recap: On Saturday, in a closed exhibition game, the Wolves faced the University of Iowa and came away victorious with a 61-57 victory. While no player stats were available, the Wolves received contributions from multiple players and a great defensive effort held the Hawkeye’s under the 60-point plateau. On Sunday, the Wolves faced nationally-ranked Marquette and were competitive, trailing by 8 points early in the 2nd half, until Marquette eventually pulled away for the victory. Junior Kevin Ratzsch led the way with 12 points, while Mitch Boeck and Levi Hamilton each contributed 9 points. Luke Wicks led the Wolves with 6 rebounds.
    Northern State University (NSU) Athletics

AberdeenNews.com

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Re: Iowa Loses to Northern State?

While that could be true (them being unbelievably bad), it also said that NSU was competitive with Marquette until late in the game.

It's just an exhibition (yes I realize they tell you a little bit about the team).

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    While that could be true (them being unbelievably bad), it also said that NSU was competitive with Marquette until late in the game.

It's just an exhibition (yes I realize they tell you a little bit about the team).
    One of my friends is a student assist. coach for this team. he also was a student assist. for Kirkwood the last 2 years. They played Marquette really close, until the end, where they ended up losing by 28 i think. they got some players with talent on their team. not too shabby for how small they are

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Its a good thing it was a closed session. Coaches mainly do these types of closed sessions scrimmages to increase players confidence, playing weaker teams(surely didnt happen here) or to develope an attitude as in being physical, more so than one would let a player get away within the "normal" settings of a game. It looks like the hawks are in some serious trouble.

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 26

how sad for a National Contender

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post

I agree, but this would be like losing to Dubuque, and we'd be freaking out if that happened. They also ended up losing 83-55 against Marquette.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

Way to go Wolfies!! My sister graduated from NSU, and I have an NSU sweatshirt or two...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 426

"This was an opportunity to try different schemes and combinations of players against a team that was unaware of our offensive sets."

Or how to play basketball apparently.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 272

Are you sure it was a closed scrimmage? Or it was just a normal empty Carver Arena for any other game?

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Are you sure it was a closed scrimmage? Or it was just a normal empty Carver Arena for any other game?

My thoughts exactly,

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

The way I see it, Iowa State is starting to sprint away from Iowa when it comes to athletics! I mean Carver atmosphere isn't even comparable to Hilton Magic baby. I mean the new screens, the light ring, new football coach, beating Iowa AGAIN!, our basketball team on the rise, there basketball team on the fall. It's just oh so suhweeeeet!

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by SaxaCLONE13 View Post
    The way I see it, Iowa State is starting to sprint away from Iowa when it comes to athletics! I mean Carver atmosphere isn't even comparable to Hilton Magic baby. I mean the new screens, the light ring, new football coach, beating Iowa AGAIN!, our basketball team on the rise, there basketball team on the fall. It's just oh so suhweeeeet!
    First off, Iowa beat ISU last year in basketball, wrestling, football, softball, and soccer. This year, ISU took home the honors.

But it's a little early to be saying stuff like "ISU is sprinting away from Iowa in athletics", especially when the teams have been very well matched up, and when Iowa defeated the Clones by 18 points last year in a game that wasn't even really that close.

That being said, not only was this a scrimmage (under exhibition), Ohio State lost tonight to Findlay. These games mean nothing. Even so, I'm not sure any of you read the articles that were quoted. Since it would appear nobody bothered to, here is the quote about Iowa (which is only mentioned in the 2nd article, not the 1st. The score that was announced was from a poster on the HR message boards (even though it was a closes scrimmage and he would have no way of knowing))...

Since Iowa was set up as a scrimmage, not an exhibition, we had the opportunity to approach this differently. At nine in the morning, we began by simply executing different scenarios against the Iowa team. This was an opportunity to try different schemes and combinations of players against a team that was unaware of our offensive sets.

There was no score or statistics during these situations. Our success was measured by our ability to compete and play cohesively.

We came back later in the afternoon to partake in a full-out scrimmage, simulating an actual game. The day can be measured as a great success if we take the experiences and continue to grow.

A lot of the younger guys stepped up and competed extremely hard against the Hawkeyes. It can be extremely intimidating the first time you are placed in a game situation as a freshman. Our young players kept their composure and made plays which will be valuable down the road for our team.
    In short, they did game simulations (which is practicing down by a point with 10 seconds left, etc...), and then held a scrimmage later where players went out and just practiced fundamentals and shooting.

Just thought I'd point this out before everybody gets all giddy about Iowa losing a scrimmage (which nobody actually knows if that happened or not - but this was not an exhibition).

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    First off, Iowa beat ISU last year in basketball, wrestling, football, softball, and soccer. This year, ISU took home the honors.

But it's a little early to be saying stuff like "ISU is sprinting away from Iowa in athletics", especially when the teams have been very well matched up, and when Iowa defeated the Clones by 18 points last year in a game that wasn't even really that close.

That being said, not only was this a scrimmage (under exhibition), Ohio State lost tonight to Findlay. These games mean nothing. Even so, I'm not sure any of you read the articles that were quoted. Since it would appear nobody bothered to, here is the quote about Iowa (which is only mentioned in the 2nd article, not the 1st. The score that was announced was from a poster on the HR message boards (even though it was a closes scrimmage and he would have no way of knowing))...

In short, they did game simulations (which is practicing down by a point with 10 seconds left, etc...), and then held a scrimmage later where players went out and just practiced fundamentals and shooting.

Just thought I'd point this out before everybody gets all giddy about Iowa losing a scrimmage (which nobody actually knows if that happened or not - but this was not an exhibition).

Whatever makes you feel better. Iowa is going to be absolutely horrid this year. When you are counting on Tony Freeman and Seth Gorney to be your studs, you are in some serious trouble.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Just a little fun fact for you Southernhawk, you beat us in the season but at the Mid-land tournament, we beat you pretty handly! WHEN IT MATTERED MOST! So you may have won the battle in the season but we wont the war when it mattered most!

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm talking about wrestling, sorry I forgot to mention that!