Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 0

My worthless 2 cents on the game....

That was about as good a first game as I've seen as a Cyclone fan in a long time.

Jantz exceeded my expectations, Shontrelle and White were both very good, and the defense was good enough (much better in the 2nd half).

But when I think back on this game today, I think about just how close we were to really putting a complete beatdown on Tulsa. I think if you take away just 3 plays in this game, ISU could have won something like 45-10.

Those 3 plays being....

1. The safety. Mess called a great game yesterday with this one exception IMO. That was just plain a HORRIBLE play call from your own 3 yd line. And I think today Mess would agree with that. Calling a somewhat delayed counter handoff to Jeff Woody 3 yds deep in your own endzone is just dumb. And it gave Tulsa some new life.

2. Jantz's lone INT. Yes, the pass was a tad high, but the receiver needs to either come down with that, or at least come closer to coming down with it, instead of letting it go high into the air off their fingertips. I guess Jantz just really needs to work on getting those throws over the middle down a bit, because he threw a few more after that one a bit high too.

3. Not allowing Tulsa to run it up the gut for nearly 80 yds on one play. Defense was playing great in the 2nd half, and then we made a mistake and allowed this huge run which also gave Tulsa new life once again.

Conversely though, if Knott doesn't force that fumble, we could have been in trouble too.

But overall, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Good win against a good team, and it doesn't look like we had any serious injuries either. And without the 3 plays above, I think we could have blown them out.... BUT... in a way it's kind of nice that we didn't because it gives the coaches something to work on. Like Chris Williams also said, even when we were down yesterday, I just got the feeling that we were still going to win because it looked like we were the better team.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,006
    Given: 536

Re: My worthless 2 cents on the game....

I agree that the safety was probably a bad call, but the blocking certainly wasn't there for it either.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    That was about as good a first game as I've seen as a Cyclone fan in a long time.

Jantz exceeded my expectations, Shontrelle and White were both very good, and the defense was good enough (much better in the 2nd half).

But when I think back on this game today, I think about just how close we were to really putting a complete beatdown on Tulsa. I think if you take away just 3 plays in this game, ISU could have won something like 45-10.

Those 3 plays being....

1. The safety. Mess called a great game yesterday with this one exception IMO. That was just plain a HORRIBLE play call from your own 3 yd line. And I think today Mess would agree with that. Calling a somewhat delayed counter handoff to Jeff Woody 3 yds deep in your own endzone is just dumb. And it gave Tulsa some new life.

The bad plays started the one before this. On the punt in our end of the field there was NO ONE BACK to receive the punt, which actually came down around the 10 yard line. If it would have been fair-caught there they wouldn't have been starting offense on the 2 and get the safety, which in addition to the 2 points gave them the ball and they marched right down and scored on that possession. I don't know if not having someone back was by design or by mistake but it sure turned out bad.

2. Jantz's lone INT. Yes, the pass was a tad high, but the receiver needs to either come down with that, or at least come closer to coming down with it, instead of letting it go high into the air off their fingertips. I guess Jantz just really needs to work on getting those throws over the middle down a bit, because he threw a few more after that one a bit high too.

3. Not allowing Tulsa to run it up the gut for nearly 80 yds on one play. Defense was playing great in the 2nd half, and then we made a mistake and allowed this huge run which also gave Tulsa new life once again.

Conversely though, if Knott doesn't force that fumble, we could have been in trouble too.

But overall, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Good win against a good team, and it doesn't look like we had any serious injuries either. And without the 3 plays above, I think we could have blown them out.... BUT... in a way it's kind of nice that we didn't because it gives the coaches something to work on. Like Chris Williams also said, even when we were down yesterday, I just got the feeling that we were still going to win because it looked like we were the better team.
    Overall glad to win, obviously, but for some reason they can never give your heart and emotions any peace - giving up that long run and touchdown to let them back in the game.

Is it just me, or did we hardly ever or never throw to the tight ends before this game? I was glad to see them used as receivers, especially the touchdown reception.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Those 3 plays being....

although i wasn't a fan of the call that led to the safety, i think it was a simple bad read by jantz. if i'm not mistaken the DE is let loose on that play and the QB needs to decide to give or keep depending on who the DE goes with. he went with woody and jantz gave woody the ball. Obviously he should have kept it and ran right.

assuming this was an option read of course. i haven't watched a replay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Team overall played good enough to win. An excellent second quarter put the game in our hands to win, unlike our usual fourth quarter comebacks. There were plenty of things for the team to work on before next Saturday. Better tackling comes to mind, especially early in the game. They could have had a couple more sacks and prevented a few first downs with sure tackles.

That safety play did suck. A straight dive with Woody would be better than a counter. Everyone knew he was getting the ball, so misdirection with him serves no purpose.

Receivers did ok on those screen passes, but need to eliminate the early drops and sustain blocks a little bit better. It was nice to see Jantz hit those throws most of the time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 118

I agree, other than the one play the playcalling was great. I loved the balance we showed, Jantz was slinging the ball around to lots of different receivers in the first half, and then the second half the running game was the story.

The defense had its ups and downs but overall played well but I think we can all admit that Tulsa is a pretty good team, especially on offense. They had solid RB's and WR's and Cody Green looked like a different guy. When its all said and down Tulsa will put up some huge offensive numbers and our defense's performance will look better as the season goes on.

Legend
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 726
    Given: 40

Cody green looked pretty good, other than it seemed like he was staring down the receiver he was throwing to on every play.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Kick coverage was atrocious.

Steele had a great game, but it seemed to me he was starting to float or just lose his accuracy on some passes later in the game when we needed to slam the door shut.

Overall, very satisfied though.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 148

Cody's bonehead plays still cracked me up though.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    although i wasn't a fan of the call that led to the safety, i think it was a simple bad read by jantz. if i'm not mistaken the DE is let loose on that play and the QB needs to decide to give or keep depending on who the DE goes with. he went with woody and jantz gave woody the ball. Obviously he should have kept it and ran right.

That could be, but why even mess around down there? I wouldn't have even minded seeing us go under center and just handing it to Woody on a dive play. I just hate in those situations when your QB gets the ball 7 yds deep from the LOS, and then proceeds to hesitate a bit to read the defense before handing it off to the RB 3 yds deep in the endzone on a counter play nonetheless. Just plain stupid IMO.

And I think looking back on it, I'm sure Mess would agree that wasn't the best play call. Don't get cute down there.

This also drives me nuts when you've got a 4th and 1, and we are in the shotgun and run some kind of delayed zone read play or something stupid like that. In those situations, go back to good ole fashioned power football, get under center, and just let your O-line plow some people over. Just my opinion.

Walk On
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post

To me that looked like a designed run. Our RG missed his kick-out block which was the DE that made the play. If our RG makes that block, Woody goes untouched for a about 8-10 yds.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Kick coverage was atrocious.

Steele had a great game, but it seemed to me he was starting to float or just lose his accuracy on some passes later in the game when we needed to slam the door shut.

Overall, very satisfied though.
    Good points! Our kick coverage could have cost us this game too... it was horrible.

And although Steele played a good game, he will look back on the film and he will find some areas he can definately work on too as you pointed out. He sailed a few passes too high, including his INT. He has to get those down a bit.

And I'd like to see him not take such huge losses on sacks too. Yes, he's just trying to make a play, but sometimes when the heat is coming, it's best to just go forward and get what you can instead of trying to make a spin move and run backwards. I'd rather take a 2 yd loss versus a 14 yd loss any day.

But overall, he played great, especially for game one of the year.

Prospect
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Those 3 plays being....

I thought Shontrelle Johnson played extremely well, not just very good. I was glad he was cleared to play and now after watching him yesterday, I am even more excited. What a great player.

I was also very pleased with Jantz's improvement. he looked much more polished that last year and if the QB battle was really that close, I think we will be set at the QB position for a few years.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Overall, an outstanding start to the season. Especially, if you consider our history of being unprepared for openers, and our horrible performance in our last game - Pinstripe. Kudos to CPR for: almost no penalties, barely a turnover, choosing Jantz /helping him improve, seamless transition in OC. Our coaching and prep made a big difference. That being said, my humble recommendations of O, D, ST are: I hope the playbook has more than wide screen and run off tackle, Jantz could throw the ball away (AA did this pretty well), pass protection could be better, WR need to catch, burned again for TD with short CB (3rd time in past year), tackling was average, kick coverage was bad, PK was a little shakey (made kicks, but was off target). We still need improvement to beat EIU - not too many obvious areas though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

That could be, but why even mess around down there? I wouldn't have even minded seeing us go under center and just handing it to Woody on a dive play. I just hate in those situations when your QB gets the ball 7 yds deep from the LOS, and then proceeds to hesitate a bit to read the defense before handing it off to the RB 3 yds deep in the endzone on a counter play nonetheless. Just plain stupid IMO.

And I think looking back on it, I'm sure Mess would agree that wasn't the best play call. Don't get cute down there.

This also drives me nuts when you've got a 4th and 1, and we are in the shotgun and run some kind of delayed zone read play or something stupid like that. In those situations, go back to good ole fashioned power football, get under center, and just let your O-line plow some people over. Just my opinion.
    I agree, line up big and let woody punch it for a few yards and give us a little space to work with...