Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 23,146, Level: 46
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    23,146
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Big 12 BCS representatives

    I was reading SI.com's bowl projections and Stewart Mandel laid out the case that Texas has the easiest road to a BCS game of any Big 12 school. At first I thought he was insane but it kind of makes sense. That would really be too bad if an overrated 2 loss Texas team was chosen over a 1 loss KU team or a Missouri team that lost twice to OU.
    SI.com - Writers - Stewart Mandel's Bowl Projections - Monday November 5, 2007 12:33PM

    Barring a complete collapse by Oklahoma, Texas will not play in the Big 12 championship game this season -- and yet, the Longhorns may have the best odds of any Big 12 team of reaching a BCS bowl game, right now.


    Such was the bizarre conclusion I realized while compiling these, the first of my weekly Bowl Projections, which will run each Monday for the rest of the season.
    Here's why:


    With games remaining against Texas Tech and Texas A&M, the 15th-ranked 'Horns (8-2) seem like a pretty good bet to finish the season 10-2 and ranked in the top 10. If that happens, Texas, riding the momentum of a six-game winning streak, would become a very attractive at-large candidate for the Sugar or Orange bowls.


    Meanwhile, either No. 4 Oklahoma (8-1), No. 5 Kansas (9-0) or No. 7 Missouri (8-1) is going to earn the conference's automatic berth -- but your guess is as good as mine which it will be. (For the purposes of these projections, I used each conference's highest-ranked team as its projected champion, which in this case is the Sooners.) Whichever two don't win the title game are going to end their season on a loss -- one in the championship game and one, either Kansas or Missouri, in a de facto semifinal showdown on Nov. 24.


    Bowl games prefer hot teams over teams coming off a loss, not to mention teams with the biggest fan bases, which is why Texas -- though it may still be ranked lower than the other three -- could become the preferred choice for the league's second BCS bid.
    I don't really buy that a Texas team would be chosen because they are "hotter" than the loser of the Big 12 championship game but I do think they'd rather promote "Texas" on their commercials than "Kansas."



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    DMBclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    290
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    I think you're right as they might want to promote Texas over Kansas but Kansas did slap around Nebraska which has been all over ESPN and TV. That is great advertisement


    Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

    Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 362,277, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,729
    Points
    362,277
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,383
    Given: 721

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    It would be somewhat amusing, if OU plays in the Big 12 title game against KU, loses and does not go to a BCS game, while KU and Texas do.

    Keep in mind, Texas finishes 2nd in the South and lost to OU earlier this year.

    Talk about a bunch of griping in Norman. Once again (in that scenario), the BCS kinda gets it wrong.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 544,346, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,668
    Points
    544,346
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,932
    Given: 2,953

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    It would be somewhat amusing, if OU plays in the Big 12 title game against KU, loses and does not go to a BCS game, while KU and Texas do.

    Keep in mind, Texas finishes 2nd in the South and lost to OU earlier this year.

    Talk about a bunch of griping in Norman. Once again (in that scenario), the BCS kinda gets it wrong.
    Imagine that scenario if Missouri beats Kansas (making them the winner of the North), then beats OU in the championship game. In that scenario you'd have TWO more deserving Big XII teams that get passed up in favor of Texas for a BCS bid. If this plays out you can probably guarantee that a new addition to the BCS rule will be you at least have to win your division (if applicable) in order to get the conference's second BCS bid in order to respond to the whining that will no doubt occur in Norman, Lawrence, and the national media.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 44,904, Level: 65
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 646
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    4,443
    Points
    44,904
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 54

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If this plays out you can probably guarantee that a new addition to the BCS rule will be you at least have to win your division (if applicable) in order to get the conference's second BCS bid in order to respond to the whining that will no doubt occur in Norman, Lawrence, and the national media.
    Kinda like when Nebraska did not win the north but played in the National championship game against Miami, 2001 I believe.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 362,277, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,729
    Points
    362,277
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,383
    Given: 721

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Imagine that scenario if Missouri beats Kansas (making them the winner of the North), then beats OU in the championship game. In that scenario you'd have TWO more deserving Big XII teams that get passed up in favor of Texas for a BCS bid. If this plays out you can probably guarantee that a new addition to the BCS rule will be you at least have to win your division (if applicable) in order to get the conference's second BCS bid in order to respond to the whining that will no doubt occur in Norman, Lawrence, and the national media.
    Another good observation. IMO though, I can't completely fault Texas getting the nod ahead of KU with Texas having a slightly tougher schedule (IMO) and a 6 game winning streak, 4 of them being on the road.

    I know, sounds odd from a guy that has been tooting the Jayhawk horn all year. I do think Kansas is better than Mizzu and will win that game, but they gotta get past Oklahoma State this weekend and win a trap game against us first.

    However, I do think the rule you noted is completely valid and should be put into place.

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    Kinda like when Nebraska did not win the north but played in the National championship game against Miami, 2001 I believe.
    Ugh....I remember that.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 467,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    70,964
    Points
    467,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,378
    Given: 2,181

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    I also could see Missouri beating Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship and Texas and Kansas still possibly ranked in the Top Ten.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Hallice, Brady, Stu, Lard, Naz, Deonte, Monte, Matt, Simeon, Jordan, and Babb.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 544,346, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,668
    Points
    544,346
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,932
    Given: 2,953

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    If all things play out the right way, I'm really looking forward to watching that Mizzou/Kansas game. That could be the game of the year in college football (and who would have thought that 6 months ago?)


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 362,277, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,729
    Points
    362,277
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,383
    Given: 721

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    I could easily see Mizzu taking down OU if they face each other in the title game. At the end of the 3rd quarter, it looked like OU was going to win that game and made some key turnovers/mistakes that shifted the momentum back the other way and yielded 18 unanswered points for OU.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,283, Level: 75
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 767
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,680
    Points
    59,283
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 107

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    They forgot to account for the ISU beating KU scenario.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 64,476, Level: 78
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Points
    64,476
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 10

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Well the OU and Michigan losses make things much more interesting now. There's pretty much no way the Big 10 puts two teams in the BCS this year, as Michigan beating Ohio State would make Ohio State a 2 loss team, and Ohio State beating Michigan would make Michigan a 4 loss team.

    I think it certainly opens up the door for a Big 12 team to get into the championship game. I think either Oklahoma, Missouri or Kansas winning out would do it. If Missouri wins out, or Oklahoma beats Kansas in the Big 12 championship game, I think we end up with two BCS teams this year (Kansas and either Oklahoma or Missouri).



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 544,346, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,668
    Points
    544,346
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,932
    Given: 2,953

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Well the OU and Michigan losses make things much more interesting now. There's pretty much no way the Big 10 puts two teams in the BCS this year, as Michigan beating Ohio State would make Ohio State a 2 loss team, and Ohio State beating Michigan would make Michigan a 4 loss team.

    I think it certainly opens up the door for a Big 12 team to get into the championship game. I think either Oklahoma, Missouri or Kansas winning out would do it. If Missouri wins out, or Oklahoma beats Kansas in the Big 12 championship game, I think we end up with two BCS teams this year (Kansas and either Oklahoma or Missouri).
    I wouldn't count those chickens before they've hatched (yet).

    I remember earlier this decade (I forget which year) when K-State ran through their regular season undefeated, only to get stymied by a "lesser" aTm team. Not only did K-State not make the championship game, but got shut out of the BCS entirely. And this was a team that was undefeated for the first 11 weeks of the season (K-State really got screwed over by voters that were just dying to hang them out to dry that season). Nobody is guaranteed a BCS birth until they get that official invite.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,138, Level: 81
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,202
    Points
    69,138
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 2,070

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I wouldn't count those chickens before they've hatched (yet).

    I remember earlier this decade (I forget which year) when K-State ran through their regular season undefeated, only to get stymied by a "lesser" aTm team. Not only did K-State not make the championship game, but got shut out of the BCS entirely. And this was a team that was undefeated for the first 11 weeks of the season (K-State really got screwed over by voters that were just dying to hang them out to dry that season). Nobody is guaranteed a BCS birth until they get that official invite.
    I recall that too...but refresh my memory (too lazy to google it I guess) didn't KSU go to a "lesser" bowl and get spanked? Or am I dreaming this?



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 32,574, Level: 55
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,933
    Points
    32,574
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 17

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    So say Texas and Oklahoma wins out and Kansas just loses to Oklahoma. Who do you pick to go where?



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 23,146, Level: 46
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    23,146
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 BCS representatives

    Where K-State really got screwed that year was that, despite the loss, they still finished #3 in the BCS. However no one was expecting them to lose and all of the bowls had decided what schools they were going to take. They ended up going to the Alamo Bowl and looked like total crap against Purdue. It was a huge disaster because several of the assistants already knew they were going to OU with Stoops so there wasn't much focus from the coaching staff on down.

    I know that after that the BCS made a rule something to the effect of if you finish in the top 4 you automatically get a spot in one of the games. I also think the Big 12 made a rule about how low the loser of the Championship game can go in the pecking order but I might be wrong.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM