Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Reasons to be excited about the Iowa Game this year!

Usually I am not one to post and get overly excited about a single game from last year to try and see how that will carry over to the following year, but I couldn't resist after re watching the 2011 game.

A few big things jumped off the page at me when re-watching that game.
    • Jantz looked great. Every time he was in trouble he danced around the pocket and found open receivers. He was opportunistic and threw for a very high percentage. He can really run when he doesn't have a busted up ankle.
    • Shontrelle was the best back on the field the entire day. I think alot of us forget how good he is after missing two-thirds of the season last year. He was very shifty and made alot of people miss.
    • Osemele rolled his ankle early in the 1st quarter and was hampered by that the rest of the day. He was picked up for some holds and wasn't a difference maker in that game.
    • turnovers turnovers turnovers. Iowa state turned over the ball on 1st and goal on their opening drive with a bad snap. Fumbled the ball inside the iowa 10 once again in the 2nd quarter and then coughed up another on our own 20 in the 3rd.
    • Penalties - Yikes, if we cleaned up the penalties, Iowa state marched the entire game.
    • Field Goals - Again Iowa state goes 0-2 on makeable fieldgoals inside 45 yards.

It was truly an ugly game to watch from the turnover/penalty/FG side of things, but Iowa state really looked like the better team the entire day. Given our returning starters and Iowa's issues at running back, 3 losses on o-line and one of the worst defensive lines of the Ferentz era, I think mismatches could be even greater for ISU. I feel pretty good about going into Kinnick next weekend and giving the Hawks fits.

Bold Prediction - ISU - 27 Iowa - 20
    (but it won't be that close on the field)

Follow me on twitter: @DMStudio515

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 45

Re: Reasons to be excited about the Iowa Game this year!

if the Clones can win this year its a strong possibility they could get the next one in JTS and Rhoads could sell a 3 game win streak vs the in state rival to recruits. a lot at stake for both programs this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 19

I think we match up well against Iowa but its gonna be tough winning at Kinnick.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 831

Don't forget about Iowa having a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Jantz was able to scramble at will against the Hawks because they rarely sent an extra man. Once we hit UCONN, Texas and aTm is when he got overwhelmed with pressure. I doubt Iowa sits in a base defense all game with the new coordinator.

Last edited by The_Architect; 08-30-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Don't forget about Iowa having a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Jantz was able to scramble at will against the Hawks because they rarely sent an extra man. Once we hit UCONN, Texas and aTm is when he got overwhelmed with pressure. I doubt Iowa sits in a base defense all game with the coordinator.
    This is what I will be watching in Iowa's game this weekend. Just to see what they might be changing.

If they sit back against Jantz again, I do not see the DL getting any sort of pass rush and he will once again look like a Heisman contender against them.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 271

I am not gonna even think about predicting Iowa until after Saturday when we see both teams on the field for the first time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Don't forget about Iowa having a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Jantz was able to scramble at will against the Hawks because they rarely sent an extra man. Once we hit UCONN, Texas and aTm is when he got overwhelmed with pressure. I doubt Iowa sits in a base defense all game with the new coordinator.
    With our Dline, we're probably going to have to blitz in order to get pressure this year, not sure we have a choice. It'll definitely be interesting to see if KF pushes the bend but don't break defense still, or if that was a Parker deal.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 61

I feel strangely confident about the Iowa game this year, but I'm trying to temper my expectations. This is the best chance we've had in 10 years to win in Iowa City, and I really hope Rhoads and company can step it up.

I'm predicting the Clones win by 2-3 points, but be prepared for a dogfight

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

I'm really nervous about Tulsa more so than Iowa. Am I just paranoid, or is it legit?

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I can never predict this game. Iowa always puts a respectable product on the field. I think there are too many question marks on both teams to tell.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Iowa will be wearing throwbacks for our game, we need to roll them regardless of what they are wearing.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    I'm really nervous about Tulsa more so than Iowa. Am I just paranoid, or is it legit?
    You should be a lot more worried about Iowa. ISU should beat Tulsa. The game is at home, they have superior talent. Tulsa has a good offense and will put up some yards and score some points but unless ISU turns the ball over a lot they should win.

Iowa on the other hand. It is in Kinnick which is a very hard place to play especially since the fans will be wanting to beat ISU badly after the loss last year. I think it will be extremely loud there. Also Vandenberg was very good at home last year and they will be out for revenge.

"But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That's the way- not orthodox, I don't live by "the rules" you know." - David Brent

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    You should be a lot more worried about Iowa. ISU should beat Tulsa. The game is at home, they have superior talent. Tulsa has a good offense and will put up some yards and score some points but unless ISU turns the ball over a lot they should win.

Iowa on the other hand. It is in Kinnick which is a very hard place to play especially since the fans will be wanting to beat ISU badly after the loss last year. I think it will be extremely loud there. Also Vandenberg was very good at home last year and they will be out for revenge.
    Yeah; we've only won 5, maybe 6 times at Iowa for the entire series - it doesn't happen often. And I agree Vandenberg might be the difference in the game, but hoping SJ can step up like he did last year.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57

Quote Originally Posted by hall4cy View Post
    Usually I am not one to post and get overly excited about a single game from last year to try and see how that will carry over to the following year, but I couldn't resist after re watching the 2011 game.

A few big things jumped off the page at me when re-watching that game.
    • Jantz looked great. Every time he was in trouble he danced around the pocket and found open receivers. He was opportunistic and threw for a very high percentage. He can really run when he doesn't have a busted up ankle.
    • Shontrelle was the best back on the field the entire day. I think alot of us forget how good he is after missing two-thirds of the season last year. He was very shifty and made alot of people miss.
    • Osemele rolled his ankle early in the 1st quarter and was hampered by that the rest of the day. He was picked up for some holds and wasn't a difference maker in that game.
    • turnovers turnovers turnovers. Iowa state turned over the ball on 1st and goal on their opening drive with a bad snap. Fumbled the ball inside the iowa 10 once again in the 2nd quarter and then coughed up another on our own 20 in the 3rd.
    • Penalties - Yikes, if we cleaned up the penalties, Iowa state marched the entire game.
    • Field Goals - Again Iowa state goes 0-2 on makeable fieldgoals inside 45 yards.

It was truly an ugly game to watch from the turnover/penalty/FG side of things, but Iowa state really looked like the better team the entire day. Given our returning starters and Iowa's issues at running back, 3 losses on o-line and one of the worst defensive lines of the Ferentz era, I think mismatches could be even greater for ISU. I feel pretty good about going into Kinnick next weekend and giving the Hawks fits.

Bold Prediction - ISU - 27 Iowa - 20
    (but it won't be that close on the field)
    It wasn't like Iowa played their best game either. I would expect a tight game with mistakes making the difference this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 563

Are we playing Iowa this weekend? Where have I been? How did we do against Tulsa? Oh wait....I am glad the OP is not a player.