Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 363
    Given: 38

Recruiting so far

I think we are doing pretty well so far. If my memory is correct, we only had 4 commits at this time last year and things looked pretty bleak. I think that was one of the big reasons for Mac's resignation. Poor play on the field and things not looking too good recruiting wise.

I've noticed that most all of our recruits have pretty good size. But I have noticed that the ONE thing they all possess is speed. You have to like what Chizik is trying to build. I think our fundamentals and discipline have improved. We really looked like a football team on Saturday. I think we got a glimpse of the future and it looks damn good.

Our biggest losses will be Tuba, Bowen and Banks. I think we won't miss Meyer much, Blythe needs a cape for his matador act while blocking (absolutely terrible), Barkema (I think Catlett is actually better), and Shaggy and friends (thanks but no thanks) I have no confidence in them. So no real big losses on offense.

Has anyone noticed that Iowa's success has been very average since Kaeding left and Schlicher went into a slump? Getting a big accurate leg would be huge. Deep kickoffs that hang.....Never thought I would say that I miss Tony Yelk.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Re: Recruiting so far

I think recruiting is going well right now. If ISU can move up to the top 45 teams that would be great. They just need a few more holes to fill and then just go after athletes. These guys just keep getting better I wish some of them had another year with this staff.

Kyle S. Flander

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Our biggest losses will be Tuba, Bowen and Banks. I think we won't miss Meyer much, Blythe needs a cape for his matador act while blocking (absolutely terrible), Barkema (I think Catlett is actually better), and Shaggy and friends (thanks but no thanks) I have no confidence in them. So no real big losses on offense.
    I agree, the biggest loses we will have is on the D side with two of three linebackers gone, but, our recruiting of LB over the past two years has been good:

Kris Means, Fred Garrin, Michael Bibbs, Cameran Bell, Curtiz Mathis should be able to fill the shoes, plus they will have another year in the system to understand the reads.

And at DT, well, depending on our current recruiting class, we have Michael Tate, Chris Weir and Jerrod Black to step in and try and fill Tuba's departure....Just don't know if any of these guys has the body/strength to handle the middle as he has...But, if they have the drive, shep's got the plan to make them a big time player...

We look good, might actually be better next year on O after watching AA throw that post route, that was a big time play...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    We look good, might actually be better next year on O after watching AA throw that post route, that was a big time play...
    I think the ? on O will be
    -Will the RBs continue to improve
    -Will the O-line step up again
    -Will the other WR's step up such as Wallace Franklin

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Just throwing this out there and more likely than not I'm just talking out of my *ss...but do you guys think that Wallace Franklin will bloom a little bit with Arnaud at the helm?

Everything I've heard of WF is that he is a burner, but it seems like a lot of people question Meyer's arm strength. That pick Meyer threw on Saturday was a jump ball that he underthrew. I don't remember who the receiver was, but they had a step or two on the db covering. If that ball doesn't hang so much, it probably would have been a reception and maybe a TD. If Arnaud's arm is all it's billed up to be, he might be able to hit WF when he burns his man. I don't think it's a coincidence that our longest play from scrimmage is a 51 yard Arnaud to Blythe pass. One other thing I remember is Arnaud said in the post-game interview that he didn't put enough on the passes to Hamilton and Blythe. I guess implicit from that is that he could have put more on it.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

i think blythes blcoking is pretty good for a WR. and so does chizik if i remember correctly from a press conference a few weeks ago. eh said that would be why he plays on sunday, because he blocks too. i mean he isnt hines ward but he does block.

Husker Hater

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    I think the ? on O will be
    -Will the RBs continue to improve
    -Will the O-line step up again
    -Will the other WR's step up such as Wallace Franklin
    Yes
    Yes - a lot of competition, redshirts wanting PT and incoming especially if we get the likes of a Cedric the entertainer or Dan Hoch....
    and No it won't be wallace franklin, don't know why i say that...i just have a hunch the guys i have as the third wideout will be either Christian Graham, Nate Jones, Derron Montgomery, or someone not yet on the squad. So the starters will be Hamilton #1, Sumrall #2 and my guess is Graham #3.

We will be fine on O...

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

And at DT, well, depending on our current recruiting class, we have Michael Tate, Chris Weir and Jerrod Black to step in and try and fill Tuba's departure.
    Don't forget about Bailey Johnson.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

dont forget that one of the frere boys(the one that is about 306 and started most of the games asa freshman last year) will probably be in the hunt for the defensive line. i believe he was injured this year.don't know whether it was nate or his brother that was a defensive starter most of last year. does anyone know the health status of the frere that was injured this year.

doc

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dinger7203 View Post
    i think blythes blcoking is pretty good for a WR. and so does chizik if i remember correctly from a press conference a few weeks ago. eh said that would be why he plays on sunday, because he blocks too. i mean he isnt hines ward but he does block.
    Sorry Dinger, i'm not going to agree with you on this one, IMO, and i'm not saying i know 1/10th the football that Chiz does, but, when you watch the game, it APPEARS that Todd is a matador. His blocks are in essence stabs at the db, he don't actually engage them, now if the play is close enough that the db engages Blythe, he blocks, but the play i continue to see is blythe waiting for the block to come to him, rather getting to the guy and jacking him up....the flip side of that is Sumrall who reminds me of Hines ward in the way he plays all out - i love this guy. He blocks, he gets the 3 yd catch that you need to move the chains....every time i see a play on the edge made by a db, whos the first person i see standing with his hands on his sides, Todd Blythe....and i really like him, but do you think that Chiz is gonna dog one of his players....not to the public he won't, but man to man he might.....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Don't forget about Bailey Johnson.
    For DT he still needs about 50 pounds, they list him at 266, thats awful light when those guards across from you a biscuit away from 330, you need some size to play the middle, tuba got the size and has played really well....

My bet would be on Jerrod Black.....came to ISU at 285, bet he's over 300 now....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 65

Sorry Dinger, i'm not going to agree with you on this one, IMO, and i'm not saying i know 1/10th the football that Chiz does, but, when you watch the game, it APPEARS that Todd is a matador. His blocks are in essence stabs at the db, he don't actually engage them, now if the play is close enough that the db engages Blythe, he blocks, but the play i continue to see is blythe waiting for the block to come to him, rather getting to the guy and jacking him up....the flip side of that is Sumrall who reminds me of Hines ward in the way he plays all out - i love this guy. He blocks, he gets the 3 yd catch that you need to move the chains....every time i see a play on the edge made by a db, whos the first person i see standing with his hands on his sides, Todd Blythe....and i really like him, but do you think that Chiz is gonna dog one of his players....not to the public he won't, but man to man he might.....

Chizik has complimented Hamilton and Sumrall on their blocking, but not Blythe.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

chiz doesnt sugar coat anything. he has dogged shaggy and bret this year. he tells it how it is and he would dog blythe too if he felt the need.

Husker Hater

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

For DT he still needs about 50 pounds, they list him at 266, thats awful light when those guards across from you a biscuit away from 330, you need some size to play the middle, tuba got the size and has played really well....

My bet would be on Jerrod Black.....came to ISU at 285, bet he's over 300 now....

Don't forget Tuba's current backup, the big man, Nate Frere

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

How big do you think Braaksma is...? Bailey Johnson has gotten some PT at DT this year. He'll gain weight over the offseason, and I'll be shocked if he's not in the rotation next year.