Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

West Virginia Fan Needing Some Advice

Hi Cyclone Fans,

My family and I live in St. Louis and have decided that since we have no plans to see family over Thanksgiving that we would come up for the game on the Nov. 23rd. We have already ordered tickets and have a hotel room from Wed night through Sat. morning. This will not only be my 9 year-old son's first WVU game but his first college game ever. Needless to say he is pumped. Now on to a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with:

1)Our hotel is about 2.5 miles from the stadium. Is it better to drive over and find parking or is it possible the hotels have shuttles? Sorry for such a silly question but it has been a long time since I have been to an away game.

2) The most important question. Since we will be in Ames for Thanksgiving, are there any decent restaurants/hotels that may be serving Thanksgiving dinner. If so should we call and get reservations or just show up?

I appreciate your help with this and best of luck this season.

Scarlasfly

KFitzy87

Re: West Virginia Fan Needing Some Advice

I know others will not agree with me... But you have to eat at Hickory Park if you come to Ames at least once. It's what the town's best known for when it comes to restaurants and I love it, even if others think it's overrated. Big portions of good food for VERY reasonable prices. Huge ice cream/desserts menu as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 403
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    I know others will not agree with me... But you have to eat at Hickory Park if you come to Ames at least once. It's what the town's best known for when it comes to restaurants and I love it, even if others think it's overrated. Big portions of good food for VERY reasonable prices. Huge ice cream/desserts menu as well.
    Don't listen to this guy

Regarding your questions, I don't think there are any shuttles from any of the hotels as far as I know. And last year I had my Thanksgiving dinner at Perkins which is on South Duff avenue. Just walked right in.

My teams: (as of 6/15/14)
    Cleveland Browns: 4-12 - .250
    Cleveland Indians: 34-35 - .493
    Cleveland Cavs: 33-49 - .402
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 3-9 - .250
    Iowa State Cyclones (BB): 28-8 - .778

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,445
    Given: 135

I would drive and park, there will be GA lots to the South and East, or just find a spot on a residential street on either the West or East side of the stadium. Depending on the hotel you could possibly take the bus too.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlasfly View Post
    Hi Cyclone Fans,

My family and I live in St. Louis and have decided that since we have no plans to see family over Thanksgiving that we would come up for the game on the Nov. 23rd. We have already ordered tickets and have a hotel room from Wed night through Sat. morning. This will not only be my 9 year-old son's first WVU game but his first college game ever. Needless to say he is pumped. Now on to a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with:

1)Our hotel is about 2.5 miles from the stadium. Is it better to drive over and find parking or is it possible the hotels have shuttles? Sorry for such a silly question but it has been a long time since I have been to an away game.

Don't know about #2, but for number 1:

Jack Trice Stadium is surrounded by donor parking lots, previous years there has been the option to pay to park in some of the outter and grass lots (I don't know if that will be available this year or not). Chances of a hotel having a shuttle I'd guess are pretty low. There are a couple of other options. The last few years there has been parking at the K-Mart on Duff Ave with a shuttle to the game. Most people who aren't paying to park will just park in the neighborhoods around the stadium and walk. That is the option I would probably take if you don't intend to tailgate.

Do a google maps search for Jack Trice Stadium.

People will park all the way out to Ash to the west in the residential area. Some people will park in Brookside Park north up University. K-Mart is just East of the Golf Course to the East of the Stadium. The Neighborhood NE of the stadium also sees a lot of street parking.

Word of warning though!!!!! Read the no-parking signs carefully. They are poorly worded and switch which side of the street you can park on midway through the evening. Many people will park illegally and just pay the ticket. Remember Midnight is AM so if it says no parking Midnight-3PM that's all morning and the first 3 hours of the afternoon.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 155

Good thoughts already, parking in the general admission lots is $20 and there should be a lot of space. Grab some grub from a local grocery store and your bev. of choice and come have some good times. Many ISU tailgaters love to hang with visiting team fans!

Not sure about restaurants serving thanksgiving but last year hy-vee had a carry out t-giving turkey and sides for 4-5 people that you could pre-order. Looked decent at a pretty fair price, somewhere in the $60 range.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 839

Pretty sure Olde Main has food on Thanksgiving. If you are staying at the Gateway, I think they do something as well. Des Moines is also fairly close and many restaurants serve Thanksgiving dinner there.

You can park close to the Jack for $20. Or quite a bit of street parking. Also could probably take Cy-Ride pretty close from most of the hotels.

Make sure you visit central campus. One of the prettiest around. Read up on Jack Trice before you visit, both the man and the stadium.

Since you will be around several days, you may also want to check and see if either b-ball team is playing while you are in town.

I think everyone visiting Ames must go to Hickory Park at some point because it is a local institution.

Have a great time. Hope you enjoy everything except the outcome of the game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 300

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlasfly View Post
    Hi Cyclone Fans,

2) The most important question. Since we will be in Ames for Thanksgiving, are there any decent restaurants/hotels that may be serving Thanksgiving dinner. If so should we call and get reservations or just show up?

I appreciate your help with this and best of luck this season.

Scarlasfly
    Here's the official Gameday website. I know that it is set up for the first home game with Tulsa but a lot of the information applies to all home games. There's parking maps, route maps, stadium seating charts, etc. and links to things to do in Ames: Gameday Central: Daily Cyclone Report, Paul Rhoads - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    Word of warning though!!!!! Read the no-parking signs carefully. They are poorly worded and switch which side of the street you can park on midway through the evening. Many people will park illegally and just pay the ticket. Remember Midnight is AM so if it says no parking Midnight-3PM that's all morning and the first 3 hours of the afternoon.
    I have parked up there quite a bit and there are a lot of times that the DPS or City of Ames will have a heart and won't write tickets on game days. This isn't always the case because I seen them write tickets up their for people parked illegally. I must be lucky because I have never received a ticket.

A lot of good information in this thread so far. I would also add that Ames is a very friendly environment for tailgaters. Most people are welcoming from people out of town and ISU fans really like to try and show other fanbases what tailgating at ISU is like. You could probably walk around the lots and start chatting with people meanwhile be offered some good food and maybe even a little alcohol(as long as the reserves aren't running too low).

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Drive to the stadium. Enter from the south off RT 30. Park in the SE grass lots. Arrive early and walk around. Wear your WVU gear. Find some ISU fans, strike up a conversation and share the experience. You won't have a problem finding some food and drink.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 138

Mainly going to second most of the recommendations you've gotten so far. Like others have said, I don't think any local hotels do shuttles. Since it has the potential to be very cold (or mild, sometimes you just never know!) you may want to try and park fairly close. Since you will be in town ahead of time, you could drive around the residential streets and campus to see where you can park. Since it is a Friday afternoon game many of the campus lots will technically have the regular parking restrictions (usually until 5pm Friday) even though school will be on break.

Last year it looked like Old Main Brewery had a Thanksgiving Brunch. Olde Main Brewing Co. They put on a wonderful brunch, we've gone there for Easter before. You will need reservations but not sure how far in advance they will take them.

Have fun at the game! My kids (all girls, ages 9, 7 and 1) have all been going to games since they were under 2. They love the tailgating and the atmosphere in Jack Trice. Very family friendly--of course the exceptions, but in my experience game day will be memorable for him.

Hickory Park is a favorite of my kids as well. If they eat the kid's meals we can eat as a family of 5 for under $30 and be stuffed.

My husband took our two oldest to St. Louis this summer to see a Cardinals game (big fans)--their first major league game. They also did the Arch and City Museum--they loved it all. His Dad also went with them and they said the 4-lane highway that runs diagonally from just southeast of Des Moines to STL worked great to get there and back (we live in Ames).

Legend
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 49

Alternatively stay in St. Louis.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Id second the guy that said if ames on tg is a no go check out DSM id even consider staying there as opposed to ames, lots to do. Also be sure to come early and tailgate. ISU has the best tailgating in the Big12 and we enjoy having opposing fans join us.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 301

Few hotels even have vans.

You may also want to park north of the stadium around the Hilton Coliseum basketball arena because it is also a public lot. It is fairly easy to get in and out to the north, especially if you are parked north (most of the traffic flows south to 30).

That is where we tailgate. You are welcome to join us. We are a family-oriented tailgate party. And you get to watch the marching band warm up. The close south lots tend to be dominating by drunk college students. The farther south and east lots are more family-friendly. Send me a private message if you want more details. We are excited about being able to play West Virginia every year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 192

I'm not sure if this is even an answer to your questions, but... Tailgate long and hard. ISU fans know how to tailgate.

When Prepared, Fear No One.