Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The day the buffalo got loose...

I was a student at Iowa State in 1972 when we played Colorado. Normal proceedure was to get to the gate of Clyde Williams Stadium around 7:30 am (this was before tailgating was popular) and drink beer and get in the stadium first to sit on the 50 yard line. The entire west side was open seating. Before the team came on the field, students would form a human tunnel for the players to run through. After they ran on the field, CU ran on the field with their buffalo. A number of students (including me) were armed with oranges and apples and started pelting the live buffalo. It went crazy, got lose and pandmonium broke out. It ran all over the field until security people, and the CU people could subdue it. We went back to our seats on the 50 to watch the game. Two years later, they did not bring the live buffalo along.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: The day the buffalo got loose...

Wow that is classic!

Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by letsgostate View Post
    I was a student at Iowa State in 1972 when we played Colorado. Normal proceedure was to get to the gate of Clyde Williams Stadium around 7:30 am (this was before tailgating was popular) and drink beer and get in the stadium first to sit on the 50 yard line. The entire west side was open seating. Before the team came on the field, students would form a human tunnel for the players to run through. After they ran on the field, CU ran on the field with their buffalo. A number of students (including me) were armed with oranges and apples and started pelting the live buffalo. It went crazy, got lose and pandmonium broke out. It ran all over the field until security people, and the CU people could subdue it. We went back to our seats on the 50 to watch the game. Two years later, they did not bring the live buffalo along.
    I think I had a dream like that ... awesomely unexpected story. You were saving this for the credit system weren't you?

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

thats awesome, i am a current student and have heard a lot of awesome stories about back in the day, you could get away with a lot more back then it seems

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Last time CU played here we had a Cyclone get lose and go all over...

Great story though, I like hearing about how much fun school was before people got all uptight

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    I think I had a dream like that ... awesomely unexpected story. You were saving this for the credit system weren't you?
    The boys from Baker House started tailgating at Iowa State. Always first at the stadium gates and 12 packs of Schlitz were 99 cents. Unfortunately, they blew up our dorm Storms Hall. Good news was it was so soaked full of alcohol, they did not need any explosives.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

I'm calling PETA.

Great story.....can someone do it again this week please.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    I'm calling PETA.

Great story.....can someone do it again this week please.
    One other note, very popular was passing people up the stadium. Students would get grabbed in a lower level of the stadium (cooperatively of course) and were passed up to the top of the stadium. It was amazing how far they would go getting passed above everyone. Is that still done in the student section?

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

One other note, very popular was passing people up the stadium. Students would get grabbed in a lower level of the stadium (cooperatively of course) and were passed up to the top of the stadium. It was amazing how far they would go getting passed above everyone. Is that still done in the student section?
    I don't think I ever saw it when I was in school (98-02), but sounds like fun.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nah, people are too lazy.

I'd say Per Mar (security) would stop us from doing it, but they are too lazy as well. I mean I saw someone throw a shoe off the balcony into the section below and the Per Mar guy didn't do a damn thing about it

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Sweet mother of Jesus! My father-in-law tells that exact story ALL THE TIME! I'm glad it could finally be substantiated by another human being. I've never heard anyone else talk about that day and I was beginning to wonder if the old man was making crap up!

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

On occasion it still is. For some reason my friends decided they were going to put me up every time we scored in one of the Nebraska games. I think it was the home game before the one we finally beat them a few years ago. I was pretty hammered and people kept dropping me but it was still a pretty good time and a couple of people in my dorm recognized me a few days later.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Ralphie I Courtesy: CUBuffs.com
    Release: 08/23/2003
    Ralphie I - CUBuffs.com—Official Athletics Web site of the University of Colorado Photo Album Courtesy: CUBuffs.com

Ralphie I

(1966-1978)

In 1966, John Lowery, the father of a CU freshman from Lubbock, Texas, donated to the school a six-month old buffalo calf from Sedgewick, Colo. For a while, she was billed as “Rraalph,” the name given by the student body after sounds she allegedly made while running and snorting (original handlers will tell you something else). An astute fan soon discovered that the buffalo was in fact a female, thus the name alteration to Ralphie.
    The initial tradition was for CU’s five sophomore class officers to run the buffalo around the stadium in a full loop. They would pick her up from caretaker William “Bud” Hays at the Green Mountain Riding Stables, and would run her for two hours in the morning to tire her a bit to keep her under control by the time the game started. At the conclusion of the run, the fans would break into the “Buffalo Stomp,” which would literally shake the stadium in deafening fashion as the team took the field. But CU officials soon had the tradition stopped because of the actual physical damage it was causing.

Around that same time, head coach Eddie Crowder was approached with the idea the charging buffalo running out on the field before the game with the team behind right her. Crowder thought it was a great idea, and the debut of this great tradition took place on Oct. 28, 1967, CU’s homecoming game against Oklahoma State. Though OSU won the game, 10-7, the tradition was here to stay, though those who had some training in such an endeavor as working with a wild animal eventually replaced the sophomores. The five sophomores appointed themselves as the board of directors of a fundraising effort to bring Ralphie to the ’67 Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston, raising the necessary money through selling stock.
    Ralphie attended every CU home football game for 13 years (including all bowls), and retired at the end of the 1978 season. CU’s first Ralphie achieved nationally celebrity status, and was even kidnapped in 1970 by some Air Force Academy students as well as being named the school’s 1971 Homecoming Queen at the height of the anti-establishment era.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 567
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

yCy and I were students at that game, too. The security guards weren't exactly comfortable having to face a crazed buffalo. We had a lot of good times in Clyde Williams stadium.
    Mrs. yCy

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 166

Should we bring a tranquilizer gun or let this guy handle it: