Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 155

G7 lot noob

So my group....which is just one car load....has been bumped from C4 to G7 this season. Couple of questions:

1) We'll be driving in from the north part of town. Should we get to the lot by University, or should we come in directly from S Fourth St? We're ones to get there when the lot opens, so are there any places you shouldn't park due to mud or difficulty getting out, or is it luck of the draw to where the parking lot nazis direct you?

2) What are some preventative things you do when it rains? We were thinking that we would need to bring a small piece of scrap plywood if/when the ground is wet so that the grill wouldn't sink into any mud. (We already have a tent, so we're set with that)

3) Any other tricks of the trade of tailgating on grass/dirt/mud that we should know?

Thanks so much for your help.

Edit: One more question...(cripes, now I sound like Columbo)...is there a "trolley" that takes you from G7 to the front of the Jacobson building? Does it cost at all?

Last edited by SaraV; 08-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
    -- Henry Ford

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 14

Re: G7 lot noob

Best trick of the trade I can give you is bring plenty of beer. Nothing sucks worse than running out of beer when you're tailgating.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 106

Quote Originally Posted by SaraV View Post
    So my group....which is just one car load....has been bumped from C4 to G7 this season. Couple of questions:

1) We'll be driving in from the north part of town. Should we get to the lot by University, or should we come in directly from S Fourth St? We're ones to get there when the lot opens, so are there any places you shouldn't park due to mud or difficulty getting out, or is it luck of the draw to where the parking lot nazis direct you?

2) What are some preventative things you do when it rains? We were thinking that we would need to bring a small piece of scrap plywood if/when the ground is wet so that the grill wouldn't sink into any mud. (We already have a tent, so we're set with that)

3) Any other tricks of the trade of tailgating on grass/dirt/mud that we should know?

Edit: One more question...(cripes, now I sound like Columbo)...is there a "trolley" that takes you from G7 to the front of the Jacobson building? Does it cost at all?
    There is a trolly that runs from I believe G6 (faculity) to the stadium. But to me it is easier to just cut across.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 53

if you're coming from the north, then you're gonna want to just take S 4th.

If it rains, it's just water on grass, so if you have a tent you'll be fine.

And i think that the tractor/trolley is free, but it's a far walk at all from G7 to the stadium.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by SaraV View Post

If you're coming right when the lots open it doesn't really matter. Traffic will be minimal. The parking nazis will try and line the first cars along the gravel road on the west side of G7. This is one of the best places to be as the lines designating spots in this ONE row are about 1.5x the size of the other lines in lot (because you do not have cars on either side of you). If you smooth talk the parking people, they will usually let you go park on the far (east side) of the lot against the fence. This is also a good place to be, but obviously a farther walk to the game.

For rain, you have a tent, so that's the main thing. Bring extra stakes and ropes to secure the tent or it will blow over. Cardboard and wood planks are good ideas to lay down as well.

Not really much different. I actually prefer the grass any day except when it is raining. G7 is full of mostly recent grads and some large family groups. It is a good mix of young people right out of college who still like to party and those who are looking for a more family atmosphere.

Have fun!

As others have said, it goes from G6 which is directly north of G7. I wouldn't bother unless you have some people in your group that have trouble getting around. It takes less than 5 minutes to cut across the softball fields.