Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

Week 1 around the Big XII

So after the first weekend of football in the Big XII, I have to say, it is great to have college football back again. I sat and watched football for most of the day on Saturday, it was great.
    Here are my thoughts on how the rest of the conference looked. I know Baylor hasn't played yet, but who cares about Baylor. I got a chance to watch a good chunk of the Nebraska and Oklahoma games, the rest I'm pulling from box scores and write-ups.

Iowa State 45
    Toledo 43

I don't need to say anything more about this game, we walked away with a W.

Texas 56
    N Texas 7

This one scares me a bit. McCoy looked great for a freshman starting his first game. He went 12/19 for 178 yards and 3 TD's. No INT's. My thought on texas since VY went to the NFL is that if they have a competant QB they are in the hunt for another National Title. I think McCoy showed on saturday that he is more than competant and we will see Texas pick up ground in the hype for a repeat Championship. At least it was against one of the worst teams on college football, but I'm not looking forward to our trip to Texas.

Nebraska 49
    LA Tech 10
    I honestly wasn't all that impressed with Nebraska in this one. I thought they looked quite beatable. Their DBacks looked lost regularly, but the rest of the D looked pretty solid. I wasn't too impressed with their offense even though they put up some big numbers. It seemed like they really got going late after the Bulldogs were wearing down. Wouldn't have expected any better of a performance from LA Tech. Impressive looking win over a very poor team.

Oklahoma St 52
    Missery State 10
    OSU was leading 45-0 early in the 3rd. Could have sworn it was a Typo. Making a strong contention for not filling the basement of the Big XII.

Colorado 10
    Montana State 19
    Poor Colorado. Their savior of the program was exposed by the first 1AA team the Buffaloes ever faced. Colorado did absolute nothing impressive in this game. Colorado hda 65 yards and 3 first down in the second half. Crosby even missed a field goal. Granted it was a 63 yarder. Colorado is making a strong contention for filling the basement of the Big XII.

Texas A&M 35
    Citadel 3
    The Citadel has now lost 16 consecutive games against I-A schools. Impressive looking win over a far inferior opponent.

Texas Tech 35
    SMU 3
    501 Yards of offense to 189 for SMU. The TT gunning machine seems to be in good form early with Harrell at the helm. He threw 342 yards and 5 TD's. I think TT is going to be quite tough this year. They just may break out of their 3rd fiddle role in the South.

Missouri 47
    Murray State 7
    Who was the Smith guy that used to play for Missouri? Remember when Chase Daniel lit us up last year after Smith went down. He threw for 5 touchdowns, for a QB rating of 207.44. Murray scored with 2 minutes left to save a 47-0 shutout. Missou racked up nearly 600 yards of total offense and gave up less than 150. To put things into perspective, Murray State didn't win a conference game in the Ohio Valley, and finished the season 2-9 last year.

Kansas 49

Northwestern State 18
    NWS had two field goals on the board before KU got going, but they caught up in a hurry. Kansas had 4 touchdowns in the first half, drives of 30, 15, and 7 yards and a 70 yard punt return. KU beat up another undermatched opponent.

Kansas State 24
    Illinios State 23
    KSU should have lost this game. They had a paltry 212 yards of offense and had no offensive touchdowns. Illinios State scored a touchdown with 3 minutes left and went for two to take the lead instead of going for the tie. They have a right to complain that their coaching cost them the game. KSU has a long way to go to be competitive in the Big XII.

Oklahoma 24
    UAB 17
    Adrian peterson Touched the ball on 11 straight plays in the second half after he only had 9 touches in the first. He still looks like a man playing amongst boys at times, but the rest of the team didn't look so hot. If the loss of Bomar didn't colapse their hopes of rising back to national prominence this year, I think this game may have. There was definately not a lot of OU swagger happening in this game. Feeling better about having to go to Norman.

So there you have it, my thoughts on the games, I'm curious as to what some others thought of the happenings this week.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8
    The first week is always hard for me to judge teams by, simply because it's usually BCS vs. 1-AA or equivalent. The only wins we can pull from and get some definite opinions on are ISU, K-State, Colorado, and Oklahoma.

ISU looked solid offensively, but still needs a ton of work in the secondary. We'll know after the game vs. UNLV about how much the DBs are progressing.

K-State almost lost to the 1-AA that we were having problems with a year ago, but we were at least able to pull away and win the game. The fact that KSU didn't get any offensive TDs is worrysome for the KSU community, I'm sure. It also confirms what was said of Ron Prince football by Virginia fans when he left: "Decent defense, but no offense. That's Ron Prince football. Good riddance!"

I'm not at all surprised that OU wasn't able to put UAB away, but it may come as a surprise to others. The highly touted defense was not able to hold off an average mid-major team that may or may not be on the rise. (I don't really know much about them.)

Remember Tennessee last year? They pulled off a close win over UAB at home, and finished the year 5-6. Just saying...

Colorado's probably the biggest shock of the week, after many picked them to be the sleeper in the Big 12. Now, unless they drastically improve, they're looking to fight K-State for the #5 spot in the Big 12 North.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    My thoughts on the weekend:

North

Nebraska - 9 months of focusing on improving the running game & offensive line paid off. Nearly 600 yards of a balanced offensive attack. Constant rotation of O-linemen & RB's are going to wear opposing defenses down. Blackshirts gave up less than 70 yards rushing and 240 yards passing; 39 of those came on a highlight reel TD grab.

Missouri - Impressive victory, let's see what they do next week against Ole Miss

Kansas - 1st of many cupcake victories for KU

ISU - If not for sCUm embarassing the Big 12 North, Iowa St would've had my vote for Big 12 stinker of the week. Lots and lots of work to do on defense and it doesn't get easier.

KSUck - Illinois St coach gets the bonehead award of the week for going for the win on that 2 point conversion. Lost in the this stinker was KSU's offense, or the lack thereof.

sCUm - National stinker of the week. What else more can you say?

South:

As expected, everyone coasted to easy wins. Ask me about Texass this time next week.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 45
    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    My thoughts on the weekend:

South:

As expected, everyone coasted to easy wins. Ask me about Texass this time next week.
    Did you watch the OU/UAB game? I wouldn't say that Oklahoma 'coasted' to an easy win.

Last edited by C.John; 09-03-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 41
    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    Oklahoma 24
    UAB 17
    Adrian peterson Touched the ball on 11 straight plays in the second half after he only had 9 touches in the first. He still looks like a man playing amongst boys at times, but the rest of the team didn't look so hot. If the loss of Bomar didn't colapse their hopes of rising back to national prominence this year, I think this game may have. There was definately not a lot of OU swagger happening in this game. Feeling better about having to go to Norman.

I really think OU is very beatable. I watched the game and Thompson didn't look very good. If teams can force them to throw, OU will be in a lot of trouble.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355
    BAYLOR 7
    TCU 17
    After a nice start in first half, Baylor ran out of gas. A long march downfield exposed their depth problem in Big 12 South.

Flameouts: Baylor, Colorado.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355
    The two Meier brothers had a wild day: Dylan in initial start for KSU had 163 yards passing and 2 first half interceptions in Bill Snyder Stadium and rookie Kerry Meier of KU had 110 yards passing, 2 TDs and 59 yards rushing and 2 more TDs. Kerry has 6 more total yards than his brother, and several less than Bret or Zac.
    WEEK ONE--------
    ISU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...30066&confId=4
    Texas: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...50251&confId=4
    A&M: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    Colorado: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    OSU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    OU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    TTU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    Baylor: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060903
    NE: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    KU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902
    KSU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?...&date=20060902

Last edited by Wesley; 09-03-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.