Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 464,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,237
    Points
    464,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 188

    Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion - CNN.com

    1. Clearly going to be appealed.

    2. Apple has just opened itself to being sued for patents it has infringed upon (I don't think you can get away with "we improve upon everyone else's products while they're suing other companies for doing the very same thing)

    3. They may very well have to find another supplier for their Retina displays, considering it was Samsung that made those for them.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 80,759, Level: 88
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,621
    Points
    80,759
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion - CNN.com

    1. Clearly going to be appealed.

    2. Apple has just opened itself to being sued for patents it has infringed upon (I don't think you can get away with "we improve upon everyone else's products while they're suing other companies for doing the very same thing)

    3. They may very well have to find another supplier for their Retina displays, considering it was Samsung that made those for them.
    I'm surprised on this. It seemed Samsung demonstrated pretty obvious prior art on most of Apple's patents which should have made them null and void.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 401,312, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,862
    Points
    401,312
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 47

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    700 item suit, jury discusses for 21 hours. Hmm. Yeah, they really went over the merits of each one there. A jury trial all is incredibly flawed for something as technical as this.

    Plenty of prior art.

    The patent system is a joke for even allowing a lot of these things to be patented to begin with.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 46,973, Level: 67
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Let's Go State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Far Western Iowa
    Posts
    1,843
    Points
    46,973
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Hey.... Any chance that apple would be interested in bowling in the SEZ? I think that would cover it....



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 50,561, Level: 69
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,713
    Points
    50,561
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    I blame it all on Microsoft for ******* Apple off in the 80s.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 80,759, Level: 88
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,621
    Points
    80,759
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    700 item suit, jury discusses for 21 hours. Hmm. Yeah, they really went over the merits of each one there. A jury trial all is incredibly flawed for something as technical as this.

    Plenty of prior art.

    The patent system is a joke for even allowing a lot of these things to be patented to begin with.
    I wonder how much the jury even discussed nullifying Apples patents versus just seeing whether the products infringed on them. I was actually surprised that a jury trial was the appropriate forum to fight their validity. Wouldn't that be handled by the patent office.

    On a similar note, perhaps Palm is paying attention and preparing for their comeback with a nice cash infusion from Apple. Most of the designs and styles that Apple won this lawsuit on were on a complete knockoff of Palm's PDA's.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 33,627, Level: 56
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    MaccloNe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,409
    Points
    33,627
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 9

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    It takes about 30 seconds to know that Samesuck copied Apple. The 21 hours was to calculate the damage. This is spare change to these companies. Having to pay license fees is where the money is. Maybe they should have accepted the license deal offered by Apple in 2010.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 464,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,237
    Points
    464,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 188

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I wonder how much the jury even discussed nullifying Apples patents versus just seeing whether the products infringed on them. I was actually surprised that a jury trial was the appropriate forum to fight their validity. Wouldn't that be handled by the patent office.

    On a similar note, perhaps Palm is paying attention and preparing for their comeback with a nice cash infusion from Apple. Most of the designs and styles that Apple won this lawsuit on were on a complete knockoff of Palm's PDA's.
    That's what I'm saying. Apple can't say in one breath "we're improving upon our competitors' products" and then sue their competitors in the next breath for doing the exact same thing. They've just opened Pandora's box.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 464,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,237
    Points
    464,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 188

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    It takes about 30 seconds to know that Samesuck copied Apple. The 21 hours was to calculate the damage. This is spare change to these companies. Having to pay license fees is where the money is. Maybe they should have accepted the license deal offered by Apple in 2010.
    You mean just like how Apple copied everyone else?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 401,312, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,862
    Points
    401,312
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 47

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    It takes about 30 seconds to know that Samesuck copied Apple. The 21 hours was to calculate the damage. This is spare change to these companies. Having to pay license fees is where the money is. Maybe they should have accepted the license deal offered by Apple in 2010.
    I would expect no less from our resident apple troll.

    Are there similarities? Absolutely. But that's because technology tends to move in general directions as things build on one another. The fact that apple (and its fanboys) like to think that a company should have exclusive right to 'flat rectangular screen with a black bezel' (hey, that sounds like 80 million different devices) shows how ridiculous our patent system has become.

    We're damn lucky the patent system wasn't where it is now back when cars were getting going. A company like apple would sue for things like having the steering wheel be in front of the driver, or even being a wheel at all.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 80,759, Level: 88
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,621
    Points
    80,759
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    It takes about 30 seconds to know that Samesuck copied Apple. The 21 hours was to calculate the damage. This is spare change to these companies. Having to pay license fees is where the money is. Maybe they should have accepted the license deal offered by Apple in 2010.
    That's my point. I can not imagine that the jury even took a serious look at the validity of the apple patents within that amount of time. That was samsung's defense. There wasn't much argument in the similarities between the two. The question was whether what apple claimed to own was their design or a copy of a previous design.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 150,485, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,030
    Points
    150,485
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 1

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Bow down to the Apple overlords, you fools. ON YOUR KNEES!!!!!!!!!!



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 51,015, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,137
    Points
    51,015
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Hoped this would happen. Samsungs documents clearly showed they had intent in copying the iPhone. When Jobs said he wanted to kill Android...he meant it. CNN article states they believe this could actually benefit end users through forced innovation by companies like Samsung. This wont affect Apples product line as they are also Samsungs biggest customer.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 33,627, Level: 56
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    MaccloNe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,409
    Points
    33,627
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 9

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I would expect no less from our resident apple troll.

    Are there similarities? Absolutely. But that's because technology tends to move in general directions as things build on one another. The fact that apple (and its fanboys) like to think that a company should have exclusive right to 'flat rectangular screen with a black bezel' (hey, that sounds like 80 million different devices) shows how ridiculous our patent system has become.

    We're damn lucky the patent system wasn't where it is now back when cars were getting going. A company like apple would sue for things like having the steering wheel be in front of the driver, or even being a wheel at all.
    Did you read any of the documentation or trial proceedings? Samsung admitted that they copied. Get over it. Oh, and you should look up the definition of troll before you use it again.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 80,759, Level: 88
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,621
    Points
    80,759
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    Did you read any of the documentation or trial proceedings? Samsung admitted that they copied. Get over it. Oh, and you should look up the definition of troll before you use it again.
    And Jobs admitted that Apple copied designs from other companies. Why does our patent system allow for one company to steal ideas from another and patent them, only to then sue another for doing the exact same thing?

    I really wonder how this will affect the future supplier relationship between Apple and Samsung. Samsung currently makes the best screens in the world (otherwise Apple probably wouldn't be buying them). What would happen if Samsung terminated that contract? Was this lawsuit worth having an inferior screen on future iphones?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM