Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 181,414, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,310
    Points
    181,414
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 435
    Given: 197

    Jantz interview after being named starter

    Iowa State starting QB Steele Jantz - YouTube

    Some interesting things were said.

    -He laughed and said it seemed like there were even more plays in the playbook than last year
    -(paraphrasing) He said this year they are attacking the defenses weak points and being less stubborn about running what we wanted to regardless of defensive alignment
    -He really sounds calm and collected and like he has a really good understanding of his role as QB



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,354, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,615
    Points
    65,354
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Steele Jantz and the Cyclones offense will be much improved this year.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 26,556, Level: 50
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 994
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    CYUL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,028
    Points
    26,556
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 68

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Good interview. Honestly, I have no qualms about him running the offense this year - seems like from his comments and the fact that he was picked as the starter, he's on the same wavelength as Coach Mess and Rhoads. Gotta like the idea that our team will be able to 'think' and make some improvised plays without having to call home first.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 8,750, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    434
    Points
    8,750
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CYUL8R View Post
    Good interview. Honestly, I have no qualms about him running the offense this year - seems like from his comments and the fact that he was picked as the starter, he's on the same wavelength as Coach Mess and Rhoads. Gotta like the idea that our team will be able to 'think' and make some improvised plays without having to call home first.
    Agreed...



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 43,617, Level: 64
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,802
    Points
    43,617
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Iowa State starting QB Steele Jantz - YouTube

    Some interesting things were said.

    -He laughed and said it seemed like there were even more plays in the playbook than last year
    -(paraphrasing) He said this year they are attacking the defenses weak points and being less stubborn about running what we wanted to regardless of defensive alignment
    -He really sounds calm and collected and like he has a really good understanding of his role as QB
    This is the biggest improvement I think we will see with the new OC. Remind those times Rhoads yelling into his headset, "JUST RUN THE BALL!!!!" on TV? Herman seemed kinda stubborn in hoping that he could push our offense through a wall to get it going where it might be better to see what the defense is doing and its tendencies and attack those points.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,354, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,615
    Points
    65,354
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    I truly believe Herman brought a good offense to Ames. But he was fitting square pegs into round holes. We didn't have the talent or the types of athletes to run it. We have recruited players for this offense, we have some of the best size, speed, and talent throughout the entire roster that we've ever had here(imo).

    With that being said, he was like Jantz said stubborn. He didn't care what the defense was doing, he wanted to run his plays. We aren't loaded with five star talent, we can't just run anything we want on anyone and just out talent them. We have to take advantage of the defenses' weakness and take what they give us.

    I think the offense is good, and he can probably run it that way with the talent Ohio State can give in, but especially at the time we didn't have the star power.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 178,519, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,607
    Points
    178,519
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 279

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Well, it will help that in the opener one of the starters on the OL in front of him isn't suspended, and another nursing a sprained ankle. Looking forward to a big season!




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,469, Level: 77
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,469
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Be careful what you guys wish for. Some of the best offenses out there run a limited amount of plays & don't care what the defenses do...they aim to outexecute you. No matter the talent, which is what Leach teams have done for years. If by weak points he means putting a defensive player in a bind by running package plays, I could easily get behind that.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,354, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,615
    Points
    65,354
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    That's part of why they simplified the offense... for better execution.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,469, Level: 77
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,469
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Frankly Jantz worries me, but hopefully Mess has a plan to help him eliminate mistakes. I think adding some packaged plays could go a long ways to helping that.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 280,247, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,857
    Points
    280,247
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 649

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    I truly believe Herman brought a good offense to Ames. But he was fitting square pegs into round holes. We didn't have the talent or the types of athletes to run it. We have recruited players for this offense, we have some of the best size, speed, and talent throughout the entire roster that we've ever had here(imo).

    With that being said, he was like Jantz said stubborn. He didn't care what the defense was doing, he wanted to run his plays. We aren't loaded with five star talent, we can't just run anything we want on anyone and just out talent them. We have to take advantage of the defenses' weakness and take what they give us.

    I think the offense is good, and he can probably run it that way with the talent Ohio State can give in, but especially at the time we didn't have the star power.
    Trust me, I'm not following you around but...you're wrong. This offense will still have square pegs in round holes. 2 of our 3 TEs are not much more than extra lineman. Our "bell cow" WR is not a bell cow. Our other top receivers are smurfs so we're hoping one or two of our RS Freshman WRs is good enough to force coverage to the outside. And most of all, neither of our QBs was very accurate last year.

    It's still a work in progress.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,354, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,615
    Points
    65,354
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    No its not a finished piece or anything. But the pieces aren't nearly as square anymore. Most of them are still pretty young and new, but its much closer than what it has been the last few years. And actually trying to take advantage of the defense instead of forcing things can help mask our weaknesses.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 280,247, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,857
    Points
    280,247
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 649

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    I'm waiting until somebody gives me a legitimate (well, or forcible) explanation as to what they mean by simplified, or until I see the offense with my own eyes before getting too excited.

    It is very, very, hard to win in CFB. You don't just simplify an offense and win in CFB. You don't just lift weights for an offseason and win. It is very competitive and extremely difficult to get an edge.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 280,247, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,857
    Points
    280,247
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 649

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    No its not a finished piece or anything. But the pieces aren't nearly as square anymore. Most of them are still pretty young and new, but its much closer than what it has been the last few years. And actually trying to take advantage of the defense instead of forcing things can help mask our weaknesses.
    I totally agree with this. There were so many times under Herman where something worked and then we went away from it.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Jantz interview after being named starter

    Sounds focused!


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM