Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 20,316, Level: 43
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Gorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Amana, IA
    Posts
    940
    Points
    20,316
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 110

    Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

    From BaylorFans board:

    Chris Level of Red Raider Sports reported on the radio today at noon that we should look for the announcements coming "very quickly" in regards to Tier 3 rights from Tech, OSU, TCU, and Baylor. TTU Athletic Director Kirby Holcutt even stated last week that he expects to make an announcement regarding Tier 3 programming very soon. Whatever route that these schools take, it looks like we will all know what direction it will be very shortly.



    Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 39,696, Level: 61
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,037
    Points
    39,696
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 15

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    That's really interesting - I wonder if they are pursuing web-based programming or if they have enough clout with the recent "success" (term used loosely to describe Texas Tech) of those four programs to have their own cable channel?

    This opens up the discussion - does ISU continue to pursue Cyclones.tv or do we try to join up with Kansas and Purple Kansas, or possibly West Virginia to put something together?



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 559,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,281
    Points
    559,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 74

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    This opens up the discussion - does ISU continue to pursue Cyclones.tv or do we try to join up with Kansas and Purple Kansas, or possibly West Virginia to put something together?
    ISU, KU, & KSU already have their own networks set. The money invested and contracts with Leerfield Sports (or whoever KU & KSU have...possibly IMG) would keep us from changing direction.




  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 29,544, Level: 52
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,312
    Points
    29,544
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    That's really interesting - I wonder if they are pursuing web-based programming or if they have enough clout with the recent "success" (term used loosely to describe Texas Tech) of those four programs to have their own cable channel?

    This opens up the discussion - does ISU continue to pursue Cyclones.tv or do we try to join up with Kansas and Purple Kansas, or possibly West Virginia to put something together?
    This likely won't be a new cable channel for those 4 schools. Will probably be a package deal with FSN Southwest and FSN Oklahoma similar to what OU has done for their Tier 3 deal.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,442, Level: 87
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,407
    Points
    78,442
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    This likely won't be a new cable channel for those 4 schools. Will probably be a package deal with FSN Southwest and FSN Oklahoma similar to what OU has done for their Tier 3 deal.
    This would have been wonderful for ISU, KSU and KU to join up. A lot more people would be able to see it. I cannot stand watching stuff via internet. Not because I am old, I am just not into it. (I am 35) For something like Cyclones.tv you will only get the truly hardcore fans or those that live far away. The potential to attract new fans via cyclones.tv is pretty small whereas having a channel almost dedicated to you on would do much more.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 20,214, Level: 43
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    886
    Points
    20,214
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    This would have been wonderful for ISU, KSU and KU to join up. A lot more people would be able to see it. I cannot stand watching stuff via internet. Not because I am old, I am just not into it. (I am 35) For something like Cyclones.tv you will only get the truly hardcore fans or those that live far away. The potential to attract new fans via cyclones.tv is pretty small whereas having a channel almost dedicated to you on would do much more.
    I understand the desire for a "real" channel but I'm not sure one lower tier football game and a handful of basketball games a year is really going to capture many new fans. For example, I'd say the Oklahoma State game last year did more for ISU than every football game Indiana has ever had on the Big 10 network in its entire history. And that is on a network people can actually get and includes Tier 2 and Tier 3 content so it is much more than one per year.

    The thing I like about Cyclones.TV is that pretty much anybody, anywhere can get it if they want it. How's that dedicated LHN working out for Texas fans - even those in Austin? In the future I suspect (hope?) the line between Internet streaming and traditional broadcast channels will become blurrier as more and more devices will combine them into the same viewing experience.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 317,376, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    7,659
    Points
    317,376
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,037
    Given: 215

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    I understand the desire for a "real" channel but I'm not sure one lower tier football game and a handful of basketball games a year is really going to capture many new fans. For example, I'd say the Oklahoma State game last year did more for ISU than every football game Indiana has ever had on the Big 10 network in its entire history. And that is on a network people can actually get and includes Tier 2 and Tier 3 content so it is much more than one per year.

    The thing I like about Cyclones.TV is that pretty much anybody, anywhere can get it if they want it. How's that dedicated LHN working out for Texas fans - even those in Austin? In the future I suspect (hope?) the line between Internet streaming and traditional broadcast channels will become blurrier as more and more devices will combine them into the same viewing experience.

    Well put. Tier 3 isn't about getting new fans, it's about feeding the junkies. If we can get more money from a Tier 3 deal, great, but until then, I'll plunk down my money every year in order to watch the interviews, make sure I can get audio if my teevee package doesn't have a game, and see the volleyball team when they make a playoff run. Pretty sure Cyclones.tv does that better than any Iowansasinia network would.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 252,950, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,537
    Points
    252,950
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

    Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.




  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,873, Level: 70
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,621
    Points
    51,873
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    I really think in the end, that we need this to happen.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 12,990, Level: 34
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    446
    Points
    12,990
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

    Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.
    Last year when the LHN started, I saw tons of ads requesting to call your cable provider, etc. This year I see none of it, and LHN is still not on any major carrier (besides Verizon, which probably covers only 5-10% of the Dallas area.) Makes me wonder if it will ever catch on to the major carriers. It didn't take the B10 network this long.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 20,214, Level: 43
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    886
    Points
    20,214
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by ia8manfan View Post
    Last year when the LHN started, I saw tons of ads requesting to call your cable provider, etc. This year I see none of it, and LHN is still not on any major carrier (besides Verizon, which probably covers only 5-10% of the Dallas area.) Makes me wonder if it will ever catch on to the major carriers. It didn't take the B10 network this long.
    The majority owner of the Big 10 network (Fox) had the foresight to own the TV provider for 20 million customers (DirecTV) when they started the Big 10 network. That put a lot of pressure on other providers to match the content.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,442, Level: 87
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,407
    Points
    78,442
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

    Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.

    This times 1000



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 313,785, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,528
    Points
    313,785
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 20

    Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

    Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.
    Agree, if the LHN continues to tank I think this is a possibility.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM