10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 110

Texoma Tier 3 Network?

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

From BaylorFans board:

Chris Level of Red Raider Sports reported on the radio today at noon that we should look for the announcements coming "very quickly" in regards to Tier 3 rights from Tech, OSU, TCU, and Baylor. TTU Athletic Director Kirby Holcutt even stated last week that he expects to make an announcement regarding Tier 3 programming very soon. Whatever route that these schools take, it looks like we will all know what direction it will be very shortly.

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 15

Re: Texoma Tier 3 Network?

That's really interesting - I wonder if they are pursuing web-based programming or if they have enough clout with the recent "success" (term used loosely to describe Texas Tech) of those four programs to have their own cable channel?

This opens up the discussion - does ISU continue to pursue Cyclones.tv or do we try to join up with Kansas and Purple Kansas, or possibly West Virginia to put something together?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    This opens up the discussion - does ISU continue to pursue Cyclones.tv or do we try to join up with Kansas and Purple Kansas, or possibly West Virginia to put something together?
    ISU, KU, & KSU already have their own networks set. The money invested and contracts with Leerfield Sports (or whoever KU & KSU have...possibly IMG) would keep us from changing direction.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    That's really interesting - I wonder if they are pursuing web-based programming or if they have enough clout with the recent "success" (term used loosely to describe Texas Tech) of those four programs to have their own cable channel?

This likely won't be a new cable channel for those 4 schools. Will probably be a package deal with FSN Southwest and FSN Oklahoma similar to what OU has done for their Tier 3 deal.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    This likely won't be a new cable channel for those 4 schools. Will probably be a package deal with FSN Southwest and FSN Oklahoma similar to what OU has done for their Tier 3 deal.
    This would have been wonderful for ISU, KSU and KU to join up. A lot more people would be able to see it. I cannot stand watching stuff via internet. Not because I am old, I am just not into it. (I am 35) For something like Cyclones.tv you will only get the truly hardcore fans or those that live far away. The potential to attract new fans via cyclones.tv is pretty small whereas having a channel almost dedicated to you on would do much more.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    This would have been wonderful for ISU, KSU and KU to join up. A lot more people would be able to see it. I cannot stand watching stuff via internet. Not because I am old, I am just not into it. (I am 35) For something like Cyclones.tv you will only get the truly hardcore fans or those that live far away. The potential to attract new fans via cyclones.tv is pretty small whereas having a channel almost dedicated to you on would do much more.
    I understand the desire for a "real" channel but I'm not sure one lower tier football game and a handful of basketball games a year is really going to capture many new fans. For example, I'd say the Oklahoma State game last year did more for ISU than every football game Indiana has ever had on the Big 10 network in its entire history. And that is on a network people can actually get and includes Tier 2 and Tier 3 content so it is much more than one per year.

The thing I like about Cyclones.TV is that pretty much anybody, anywhere can get it if they want it. How's that dedicated LHN working out for Texas fans - even those in Austin? In the future I suspect (hope?) the line between Internet streaming and traditional broadcast channels will become blurrier as more and more devices will combine them into the same viewing experience.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,037
    Given: 215

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    I understand the desire for a "real" channel but I'm not sure one lower tier football game and a handful of basketball games a year is really going to capture many new fans. For example, I'd say the Oklahoma State game last year did more for ISU than every football game Indiana has ever had on the Big 10 network in its entire history. And that is on a network people can actually get and includes Tier 2 and Tier 3 content so it is much more than one per year.

The thing I like about Cyclones.TV is that pretty much anybody, anywhere can get it if they want it. How's that dedicated LHN working out for Texas fans - even those in Austin? In the future I suspect (hope?) the line between Internet streaming and traditional broadcast channels will become blurrier as more and more devices will combine them into the same viewing experience.

Well put. Tier 3 isn't about getting new fans, it's about feeding the junkies. If we can get more money from a Tier 3 deal, great, but until then, I'll plunk down my money every year in order to watch the interviews, make sure I can get audio if my teevee package doesn't have a game, and see the volleyball team when they make a playoff run. Pretty sure Cyclones.tv does that better than any Iowansasinia network would.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

I really think in the end, that we need this to happen.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Cyclones.tv can also provide additional content, interviews, etc. Any negotiated network won't be providing that content.

Best case scenario for everybody is that that the LHN fails to catch on, ESPN bites the bullet, and we end up making a Big 12 network.
    Last year when the LHN started, I saw tons of ads requesting to call your cable provider, etc. This year I see none of it, and LHN is still not on any major carrier (besides Verizon, which probably covers only 5-10% of the Dallas area.) Makes me wonder if it will ever catch on to the major carriers. It didn't take the B10 network this long.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ia8manfan View Post
    Last year when the LHN started, I saw tons of ads requesting to call your cable provider, etc. This year I see none of it, and LHN is still not on any major carrier (besides Verizon, which probably covers only 5-10% of the Dallas area.) Makes me wonder if it will ever catch on to the major carriers. It didn't take the B10 network this long.
    The majority owner of the Big 10 network (Fox) had the foresight to own the TV provider for 20 million customers (DirecTV) when they started the Big 10 network. That put a lot of pressure on other providers to match the content.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

This times 1000

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 20

Agree, if the LHN continues to tank I think this is a possibility.