Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Buying a mini-van - advice needed...

Expecting baby #2 this November and looking to upgrade to a mini-van and wondering if when is the best time to buy between now and December.

Haven't done any tests drives yet but at this time likely leaning towards a Chrysler T&C as their 2012 models come standard with leather, DVD, etc and overall you seem to get more options when comparing to the Honda and Toyota. I'm not really looking to get into a debate about Chrysler vs. Honda/Toyota as I know some people who wouldn't even consider a T&C, however, money is also playing a factor in my decision.

Anyway, Chrysler has some decent rebates right now on remaining 2012 models, however the 2013 models are expected on the lots very soon. The dealer I have been exchanging emails with has said they typically don't offer great incentives in November/December and there is no change in the 2013 model. Am I better off trying to score a really good deal on a 2012 model or wait and likely pay a little bit more for a 2013 model?

Anyway had any luck or good dealings with any Des Moines metro Chrysler dealers?

TIA!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Re: Buying a mini-van - advice needed...

In before "Don't"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 199

The dealer I have been exchanging emails with wants to sell a vehicle now not Nov/Dec.
    FIFY.

If you can wait for 2013's to hit the lot, the deals will be better on the 2012's.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 467

I've always made sure to get the extended warranty on Chrysler van products, particularly for the transmissions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,634
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 726

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    In before "Don't"
    Don't.

In all honesty, I went crossover and am very happy

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 42

I recommend buying the week after Christmas. We got a great deal on a car the week after Christmas.... we had to buy because I wrecked my car but it was a good time for a new car.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 382

If there is no change, I'd do a '12 since you said $ was a factor. As long as there is inventory on the particular model you want, you should be fine. When we were mini-van shopping we were set on a color and by the end of the model year we couldn't get the color we wanted with the options we wanted. The next year's model they added some features to the model that were previously extra cost but they discontinued the color we wanted, so we ended up with a color I'm not crazy about but oh well. Almost 7 years and 60K miles later we've done nothing but routine care and new tires on our Toyota.

My husband is currently looking at cars and the make/model he is looking at made many changes/improvements in the 2013's so we will go with the newer model.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I'll promise you that you will appreciate the Honda odyssey over anything. If you live in hills you'll want the sienna simply for all wheel drive.

The biggest reason you'll want it is the resale. Mopar sucks here. The interior quality blows t&c out of the water as well.

Also- whatever you do - go to Haggle-Free Car Buying Experience from Local Dealers - TrueCar if you do go new.

-note- I did not put in the "haggle free" comment, but I did recommend the website.... It is awesome

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I'm sorry. That sucks. Hopefully you can at least get some of those cool stick figure family stickers for the rear window.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 100

I've been under impressed with my Honda. I'd say save your money and get a Dodge.

Also...this van will get every manner of "stuff" everywhere. In that it won't stay clean. The super nice upscale nice T&C looks nice the day you bring it home but just remember it's gonna get trashed.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,561
    Given: 97

Don't unless you plan on having more than 2.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

Here is my advice from a normal guy with 3 kids that play a TON of sports.

IF you only have 2 kids then you can do whatever you want. Car, SUV, ESUV, MiniVan, Crossover etc.

IF you have 3 kids or more that are young (car seats) then get a minivan with dual power doors and your back will thank you. We put our 2 older kids in the back (8 and 11) and our 5 year old on our drivers side captain chair. Then we stow and go passenger side captain chair so kids can literally run into their seats and for our chocolate lab.

Power lift gate, dual power doors, stow and go, 6 disc dvd changer, siruis xm, etc etc...Bought a $1500 warranty to 90,000 miles. we bought this 08 vehicle in 2009 for 20K with warranty minus trade in. It had 25K miles and was a certified preowned. We now have 113K miles on it and have only had 1 problem with the liftgate. It was under warranty so it was $50 to fix.

I have plenty of friends driving the New hottest SUVs and giving me shizzle about minivans, but in the end my Car payment is not $560 a month. My Van is paid off. And I am married with 3 kids....Not sure I care.
    Plus my wife drives it to work and I have a cool car:)

This being said....My youngest kid is almost out of a car seat and we dont know what vehicle we will get next
    New explorer, Acadia, New Town and Country (futuristic model) who knows.....

Conclusion:
    Do what fits your family, budget and don't let a ***** tell you what vehicle you should buy. Because in the end.....that ***** is a D**bag driving a 2001 2 Door BMW to Campus town trying to hook up with 22 year chicks while he is paying $1100 in child support. (I may know a few guys that fit this scenario...)

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Remove your balls.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,465
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb21 View Post
    Expecting baby #2 this November and looking to upgrade to a mini-van and wondering if when is the best time to buy between now and December.

Haven't done any tests drives yet but at this time likely leaning towards a Chrysler T&C as their 2012 models come standard with leather, DVD, etc and overall you seem to get more options when comparing to the Honda and Toyota. I'm not really looking to get into a debate about Chrysler vs. Honda/Toyota as I know some people who wouldn't even consider a T&C, however, money is also playing a factor in my decision.

Anyway, Chrysler has some decent rebates right now on remaining 2012 models, however the 2013 models are expected on the lots very soon. The dealer I have been exchanging emails with has said they typically don't offer great incentives in November/December and there is no change in the 2013 model. Am I better off trying to score a really good deal on a 2012 model or wait and likely pay a little bit more for a 2013 model?

Anyway had any luck or good dealings with any Des Moines metro Chrysler dealers?

TIA!

I know you're going to find this hard to believe, but sometimes salespeople lie. The reason is that he wants you to buy NOW! The sooner you buy, the closer you are to trading again down the road.

With that being said, December is a GREAT time to buy. I've found that in terms of drumming up business, Santa has been and continues to be stiff competition for us dealers. The time before Xmas can be so slow that we are usually pulling our hair out trying to put deals together. Typically the week after Xmas generates a lot of activity...some years as much as in the first 23 days combined. Incentives depend on how sales are going and how much inventory is on the ground. Honda typically has dirt cheap financing the last week of the year in addition to any incentives. So if you're color or trim level specific, you don't want to wait more than the day after Xmas or you may not be able to get exactly what you want. That's the risk in playing the waiting game.

In terms of what to buy, go test drive them all. If you have to ride in the second row, you'll find that you're not such a big fan of the stow-n-go seats. Some are cheaper than others, but there is a reason. You get what you pay for. I would also price used ones to compare resale value. Unless you're gonna keep it for 20 years, (which is highly unlikely) resale value plays significantly into the cost of ownership. Check the comfort, check the ergonomics, check the visibility, and check the quality of things like knobs, switches, fabrics, plastics, etc. You'll find that price is only one part of the equation.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Slam dick in a door? OR buy C product?

If it's less than 10 times I'll pass on the C.

Resale will make the Toyota or Honda the better investment.

Buy a C used...save half w 20k miles. OP is right kids will trash it.