Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

How will ISU will defy predictions in 2012?

Phil Steele, who tracks everything including when he is wrong, says Paul Rhoads is second all time in exceeding expectations for a season. The all time leader is Brian Kelly, although his 6 year streak was snapped last year. To extend Rhoads’ active streak, what factors must play in the Cyclones favor to defy the odds versus a top schedule for the third year running?

Here are a few to get started

1. A Full Roster - In a tribute to the strength and conditioning program, only true freshman Quan West has suffered an injury. Take any random group of 85 people, and one is bound to slip on a banana peel over a 2 week period. So if no one else is sidelined by Sep 1, you will know this team is truly charmed. With Shontrelle Johnson and Albert Gary cleared to play, the roster is clearly a foundation for defiance.

2. Simplified Offense - It sounds like Iowa State will continue with the same basic offensive philosophy set forth under Tom Herman. There was a trend toward simplification late in 2011, and it sounds like that trend will continue in 2012. Combine this with the well received contrastin style brought by Courtney Messingham, and I predict an unexpectedly consistent offense.

3. Reduced Giveaways - This will go largely to ball exchange and throwing accuracy by the QBs, but the offense must reduce the number of giveaways. This is an obvious issue that must be addressed, and I know this coaching staff will make it a priority. Regardless of who starts at QB, eliminating one drive killing turnover per game could add 2 Ws for the year.

"Never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield ... to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” ― Winston Churchill

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

Re: How will ISU will defy predictions in 2012?

My guess - if ISU wins 6 games they will once again have defied most "experts" predictions.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 50

We will defy predictions in 2012 by winning the Big 12 and the Fiesta Bowl.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 215

Honestly, just eliminating all of the fumbles from mishandled shotgun snaps or read option exchanges and that will be a huge bump to our offense. That was one of our more ridiculous downfalls last year IMO.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    To win the big 12 we would presumably go undefeated, and undefeated in the Big 12 gets you to the national championship game 99.9% of the time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    To win the big 12 we would presumably go undefeated, and undefeated in the Big 12 gets you to the national championship game 99.9% of the time.
    Even if a Big XII team doesn't win the conference they can still make the national championship game.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 45

ISU is loaded with seniors this fall. Granted theres a share of guys that don't have a ton of starting experience or made a huge impact last year, but I'm sold on the strength and conditioning program in place right now. Much like last year where I felt ISU could physically match-up with most any team, I think that will continue...especially on the lines.

I think physically and mentally with a lot of guys in the system for so long, that ISU will sneak up on some teams.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 45

My next thought is Steele Jantz running the read option. He always handed it off early in the season, and I recall from my vantage point in section F, seeing many times where it looked like he could have kept it for a long run. Birds eye view, but whatever...just seemed he didn't feel confident making the decision to keep it, or it was just "called hand-offs", and he did what he was supposed to.

I remember right away in the bowl game, he pulled it back in and took it for 20 yards. I think he pulled off another decent run early on as well. I remember being excited like holy ****, he finally learned how to read and run this play! If he is the starter, I hope all the reps have him ready to run the read option.

If Steele can operate that, then ISU becomes more tricky to defend.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 29

I think that a couple of things have to happen:

1. QBs need to reduce the turnovers, both throwing and passing. With the experience they gained last year and the fact that they have two solid options, I don't see any way that this doesn't happen. The only question is how much they reduce turnovers by.

2. OL false start penalties. KO and Hicks were always good for one penalty each a game. They'll miss KO, but not his penalties. I don't see any way that the replacements will be worse.

3. DL pass rush. This one is a question mark. Can Maggitt and Scott get to the QB better than Latt and Neal? I would think so, but the question is how much better will they be?

4. OL. Can they protect the passer and open holes for the running game? They sure look the part. I guess we'll see against Tulsa. If they're as good as the staff hopes, the team won't be depending on the QB to carry them as much. Of the four questions, this is by far the one that I have the least idea of which way it's going to go.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 41

how do you predict how a team is going to defy predictions?

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 85

our defense should be good again this year IF the offense does their job and the d isnt on the field all the time. there are a fair amount of conference opponents this year who will not be near as good. baylor lost a ton of talent on offense, and has a poor defense so we can beat them. we hung with them last year. texas tech we WILL win. kansas we WILL win. k-state will be good again, but we are due for a victory. not sure how okie state will look. oklahoma and texas will beat us. i think we beat TCU and lose to west virginia. so 5-4 in conference, with a 2-1 non-conference record. we barely beat tulsa, but then lost a close one to iowa and then destroy that tiny illinois team. 7-5 overall and hopefully a bowl victory to follow

This is Ophion speaking.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Here's what I think needs to happen in order to defy "expert" predictions:

1. Consistent QB play- Whoever the starter is has to be much more consistent than the two of them were next year. For instance we need Jantz to perform like he did against Iowa more often or Barnett against Oklahoma State. In other words Jantz needs to break his habit of throwing to the other team, and Barnett hopefully has fixed his fumbling problem. If that happens, then we can have a winning season.

2. D-Line improvement- The only thing that is holding us back on the defensive side of the ball is the D-line. We need to be able to get pressure on the QBs this season especially in the Big 12 conference. If we can't do that, QBs like Landry Jones and Geno Smith will shred our secondary all day long. Getting Roosevelt Maggitt back from injury will help, but the other D-linemen will have to improve their pass rushing ability.

3. Receiver play- No offense to our receivers, but besides maybe Kansas, we have the worst receiving corps in the Big 12. Of course this is influenced by our QB play as well, which was shoddy at best last year. However at times the QBs weren't helped out by dropped passes at inopportune times. Lenz has the best hands on the team, and Jarvis West is really good at making guys miss, but unless Jantz is starting, Horne is too inconsistent, Gary can't stay out of trouble, and Bundrage is an unknown. If they improve and don't drop as many balls, then we have a chance at having a very successful season.

Favorite Teams:
    Kansas City Chiefs: 11-6, Next Game: Offseason
    Iowa State Cyclones Basketball: 28-7(11-7), Next Game: Sweet 16 vs. UConn
    Chicago Cubs: 66-96, There's always next year.

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    our defense should be good again this year IF the offense does their job and the d isnt on the field all the time. there are a fair amount of conference opponents this year who will not be near as good. baylor lost a ton of talent on offense, and has a poor defense so we can beat them. we hung with them last year. texas tech we WILL win. kansas we WILL win. k-state will be good again, but we are due for a victory. not sure how okie state will look. oklahoma and texas will beat us. i think we beat TCU and lose to west virginia. so 5-4 in conference, with a 2-1 non-conference record. we barely beat tulsa, but then lost a close one to iowa and then destroy that tiny illinois team. 7-5 overall and hopefully a bowl victory to follow
    You know whats really weird? Thats EXACTLY how my season on NCAA 13 ended playing with the Cyclones. Oh and I lost to Utah in the Holiday Bowl. :(

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    A 1 loss team would get invited to the NCG instead of ISU because we are ISU. The BCS just could not believe that Rhoads could build a championship level team at ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

a win vs Tulsa

ALERT THE PRESS

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year