Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 271

NFL Stories: Good and Bad

I'll start with my feel-good stories...

Derek, what can Brown do for you? Wow, you guys were supposed to stink this year. Derek wasn't even the guy to start the season and it would only be a matter of time before Quinn was inserted. Now, Derek is finding his talented receivers quite nicely and has the Browns above .500. Crazy. And, their schedule to close the year is none too difficult.

Lions and Packers, oh my!
    If someone said the Thanksgiving game between the Packers and Lions would decide the NFC North, I would've thought you were crazy. And, if someone said the next week's game, Packers vs. Cowboys - would decide the NFC best record, again - crazy. Well, Favre and Kitna have their teams playing great football. Neither team faces a tough schedule, but they are still 7-1 and 6-2 respectively. This will be fun to watch down the stretch.

Oh, Randy. I gotta hand it to you, Mr. Moss. I doubted you, I felt you were washed up mentally and had lost a step or two physically. I said the move to the Patriots would be the death of them. I could not have been more wrong. You're certainly fun to watch and clearly have done an about-face with your attitude. Helps when you've got a great quarterback, other receivers around you and a fantastic staff - doesn't it?

Tony Romo and the 'Boys. You had to know this was coming from me. But man, totally impressed with Romo, bouncing back from that embarassing finish against Seattle in the playoffs last year. Has a horrible game at Buffalo a few weeks back and rebounds. Plays well against a tough Patriot defense. Spreads the ball around to everyone on offense - keeping a star-studded group happy. I'm not feeling great about the Dallas defense right now, but the addition of Tank Johnson and getting Henry back full-time should help. And, Dallas is still missing Glenn on offense - he returns and things should get interesting.

Eli in New York. Ick...but...he has been playing well. Started rough and it really looked like a Tiki-less Giant team would struggle through the year and Coughlin would be out as coach - but Eli has been very efficient and smart this season. Big game this Sunday afternoon at the Meadowlands.

Saints are marching. Off to an ugly start, Brees has been on fire as of late and has the Saints back at .500 at the midway point. In a few weeks, they'll be back on top in the NFC South.

Bills, Bills, Bills. Nope, not the kind you pay, but the kind that play. I know, another 4-4 team on the feel-good list? Well, with all the Bills have been faced with this season, they deserve it. They've looked horrible at times and let a game or two they should have won slip away (notably the Cowboys MNF game) - but a nice win this past weekend gets 'em back to .500 and Trent Edwards is playing smart for 'em. I like Juron and hope he can continue turning the corner in Buffalo.

Things are cookin in KC. Just lost a tough one to the Packers, but played much better than I anticiapted. They're 4-4 (another one???) at the midpoint and in a crappy AFC West, anything is possible.

And now, the bad (and sometimes ugly).

San Diego...Superchar---er...not really.
    A.J. Smith should lose his job. Not at the end of the season. Not in a few weeks. But right now. As the season grows on, more and more data compiles - proving you should never - ever, ever, ever, ever - fire a 14-2 coach. So much talent, especially on offense. So much confusions and ineptness, especially on offense. And then giving up 100,000 yards to a running back, albeit a great rookie, is just sad.

Fishing for Rams. Combined wins for St. Lois and Miami? 0. 'Nuff said.

J-E-T-S...stink. I thought they would build on a 10-6 record last year, even though they didn't play a tough schedule. I thought wrong. Even had a big win somewhat in the bag, then snatched a loss from the jaws of victory. I think they made the right move at QB though, may have been a slightly better year if that move had come sooner. Methinks the Patriots are going to destroy you in a few weeks, Mr. Mangini.

Tomb Raiders. You know, Oakland. If you had something that even closely resembled an offense, you could be in the thick of things in the AFC West. And that, is kinda sad.

Bucking...er...Sucking Broncos. Another attempt at finding the successor to John Elway. Another try going not-so-well. That, and the Broncos can't stop anyone on defense - namely the Lions and their 44 points. Yikes.

Bungled in Cincinnati. I thought that Marvin Lewis was a defensive coach. But he looks offensive, as in, his defense is down right offensive. Either the Bills just have 10x the heart the Bengals do or that Cinncy team is just that bad - I think it's 50/50.

Foul Birds. Well, it's no surprise the Falcons have just two wins, but that doesn't save them from the list. The Eagles though, they just won the NFC East last year. They're supposed to be improved with a healthy McNabb at the helm. Eh, notsomuch. They look uninspired on the field and McNabb is playing like a shell of his former self.
    Everything is not good, in San Francisco. The word was, after a gutty year last season, San Fran may challenge for the NFC West or at least a wildcard spot this year. They only thing it looks like they're going to challenge for, is a top 5 draft pick. Tossing 3 INTs vs Atlanta, Alex? C'mon...

Bear or Bunny? That's the question from Vince Vaughn to Chicago. Are you going to be the Bear or the Bunny? Well, so far the Bears haven't been Bear-like, that's for sure. Defense has been poor and the offense, as usual, isn't much of a threat. They bye week could help and so could the next 3 games (Oakland, Seattle, Denver) - but after that, things will get ugly I suspect - with the Giants, Packers and Saints on the horizon.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 256

Re: NFL Stories: Good and Bad

That's a good synopsis but you give too much credit to the Cowboys, yuck! Just kidding, they're playing much better than I would have anticipated. Unfortunately I don't see anybody that can stop the Patriots and they're all we're going to hear about the rest of the season. If my Colts could have just finished a few of their early drives yesterday, it'd be a whole different story.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

My Bills should be 6-2. AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHh.

Last second FG by Denver in week 1 and then the meltdown on MNF. I can't stand it.

You didn't even mention the injuries that the Bills defense has had to overcome. That's on top of the Kevin Williams injury in week 1.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 271

I stated they had a lot to deal with this year.

I just read Peter King's MMQB article...found this hilarious (and I left 'em off my list)

7. Tennessee (6-2). Albert Haynesworth's wonderful and well-hidden day: three sacks, four quarterback pressures, seven tackles. I want to apologize to Haynesworth for not making him my Defensive Player of the Week. I'll make it up to you, Albert. Promise. But beating up David Carr is almost like stealing lunch money from the skinny kid in third grade.
    Peter King: Pats' offseason key factor in win over Colts