Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

One important sign of improvement

in the football program this year will be eliminating blowout losses. Ultimately, wins are what matter but I think that staying competitive in every game is a sure sign that CPR really has things headed in the right direction.

09-10 season: Lost to Iowa by 32 points
    10-11 season: Lost to Utah by 41 points; Lost to Oklahoma by 52 points.
    11-12 season: Lost to Missouri by 35 points

One step to moving up in the conference is simply staying competitive every week. We are getting to a point where depth should give us the personnel to stay in every game regardless of injuries, daunting schedules or just fatigue.

I realize everything I just said is fairly obvious, but everyone is so focused on how many wins we have, whether we get to a bowl and how many stars our recruits have that this is being forgotten.

Last edited by Cloned92; 08-15-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 279

Re: One important sign of improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned92 View Post
    in the football program this year will be eliminating blowout losses. Ultimately, wins are what matter but I think that staying competitive in every game is a sure sign that CPR really has things headed in the right direction. I realize everything I just said is fairly obvious, but everyone is so focused on how many wins we have, whether we get to a bowl and how many stars our recruits have that this is being forgotten.

This was a key factor in beating Oklahoma State. We controlled the ball early and didn't let them explode to a big lead early in the game.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 56

We have to have the offense rolling early to have a chance. They don't necessarily have to score every time, but leaving the defense on the field early will spell trouble for us late, no matter how much depth we have.

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    This was a key factor in beating Oklahoma State. We controlled the ball early and didn't let them explode to a big lead early in the game.
    Good point, the maturity that team displayed in that game has been missing for quite some time. Even when things weren't going great in the beginning, the team did what it needed to do to just stay in the game and keep it from getting out of control. Then down the stretch the team once again showed the maturity to fight their way back into it. That in itself was a big sign of growth in the program.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    We have to have the offense rolling early to have a chance. They don't necessarily have to score every time, but leaving the defense on the field early will spell trouble for us late, no matter how much depth we have.
    And punts rather than turnovers would be a factor in this. Kirby is a great weapon but only when the coaches get a chance to use him. You can't use him if you've already given the ball to your opponent, and a lot closer to your endzone to boot.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 831

I agree with the OP. The blowout losses the past several seasons were wearing thin on people. I can appreciate when a team is outmatched but still giving it their all in a loss. Games like last season at Mizzou are so deflating, it was awesome to see the team rebound.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    Quick starts largely will depend on the QB play. They absolutely cannot take the first 1-2 quarters to finally start making good passes. Of course, the receivers have to make the catches but I would like to think that those days are behind us.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 279

Good point, the maturity that team displayed in that game has been missing for quite some time. Even when things weren't going great in the beginning, the team did what it needed to do to just stay in the game and keep it from getting out of control. Then down the stretch the team once again showed the maturity to fight their way back into it. That in itself was a big sign of growth in the program.

IIRC, we controlled time of possession in the first half. Their halftime lead came from a lucky Pick 6 by a player who was recovering from being way out of position. So, not only did we show maturity and not cave in, but we kept the problem from getting any worse right from the outset (which is the OP's main point).

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 31

The Utah '10, OU '10, and Missouri '11 losses were just so, so bad... like it was 1997 all over again.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

Exactly. The overall evolution has been slow but steady. If you look at ISU's past scores against top 25 teams they are far from competitive. Take the OU and KSU games. How many times was ISU ever in a game let alone in position to win on the road against a top 10 team? Sure ISU stubbed their toes last year against MU and BU but towards the end of the year the team was getting better, and stronger. Not quite sure that can be said in the past

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

in the football program this year will be eliminating blowout losses. Ultimately, wins are what matter but I think that staying competitive in every game is a sure sign that CPR really has things headed in the right direction.

09-10 season: Lost to Iowa by 32 points
    10-11 season: Lost to Utah by 41 points; Lost to Oklahoma by 52 points.
    11-12 season: Lost to Missouri by 35 points

One step to moving up in the conference is simply staying competitive every week. We are getting to a point where depth should give us the personnel to stay in every game regardless of injuries, daunting schedules or just fatigue.

I realize everything I just said is fairly obvious, but everyone is so focused on how many wins we have, whether we get to a bowl and how many stars our recruits have that this is being forgotten.

I totally agree, and I think the way to do that is to avoid 3 and outs. The defense is good when it has a chance to breathe. The blow out losses almost always came in games where the offense couldn't produce any YARDS, let alone points.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

the Utah OU games killed me

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I think the key to those blowout losses is turnovers, and three and outs. You can't expect the defense to always make a stop when their on the field 75% of the first quarter

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 109

Agree totally. I've said that to lots of folks. Obviously we want wins, but we also want respect. Remember Baylor 10-15 years ago? I don't think anyone was worried.

I think teams legitimately worry about us now...and it's starting to show in less blowouts (which I think really hit a team hard in terms of emotion/confidence).

The flip side of this is we also need to start doing some blowing out. I don't like when we squeak out vs UNI, etc. We need to be in a position that in the 4th quarter backups are getting some good playing time, not going down to the final horn.

Great signs of progress and I look for it to continue (because these guys DO have a chip on their shoulder). Like they say, can't let your highs get too high or lows too low either.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tejasclone View Post
    The Utah '10, OU '10, and Missouri '11 losses were just so, so bad... like it was 1997 all over again.
    It also reminds me of the Walden Year of 1994...More than Enough Said.............