Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

MLS closing in on $300M stadium project in Queens, New York

MLS has pushed hard for another NY team. This project, $300 million, would be for a 25,000-seat staidum in Flushing Meadows (next to Citi Field & Arthur Ashe Tennis Stadium). The project would include nine high-quality soccer fields available for community and minor-league use, and they're hoping to start in 2013.

Soccer By Ives: Report: MLS closing in on $300M stadium project in Queens, New York

Last edited by simville02; 08-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 319

Re: MLS closing in on $300M stadium project in Queens, New York

Whether MLS puts their expansion team in New York or anywhere else, that will be it for traditional expansion, as FIFA limits sanctioned leagues to 20 teams (I can't remember where I read/heard that, but it was recent). After that MLS will have to move to a promotion/relegation system.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 537

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Whether MLS puts their expansion team in New York or anywhere else, that will be it for traditional expansion, as FIFA limits sanctioned leagues to 20 teams (I can't remember where I read/heard that, but it was recent). After that MLS will have to move to a promotion/relegation system.
    Which would be awesome.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If it is a New York franchise, I hope the Red Bulls sell the MetroStars identity to the new franchise. The MetroStars were the team that I cheered for until they changed to the Red Bulls, and I thought the name was so unoriginal and commercial I stopped cheering for them.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

They should include some teams from the lower leagues (ie. Menace) and go to a full promotion/relegation model. It's something that I think would work great in other sports here also..

http://www.rethinkcollegefootball.com

"How do you fire Jo Pa? #insult #noclass as a hawkeye fan I find it in poor taste"
    - Ashton Kutcher

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,990
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If it is a New York franchise, I hope the Red Bulls sell the MetroStars identity to the new franchise. The MetroStars were the team that I cheered for until they changed to the Red Bulls, and I thought the name was so unoriginal and commercial I stopped cheering for them.
    Personally, I admire them for changing their name and at least admitting, "Darn right we're taking the money." The Chicago Fire kept their name, but their jerseys are plastered with a giant Quaker Oats logo across the front of it. with the actual fire logo the size of a monogram in the upper right. Jsut go with it and change the name. It doesn't make sense when you don't know all the teams in the league and you are trying to figure out who the "Quakers" are when seeing highlights later in the day.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 537

I think the new NY team would have to be the Cosmos. Too much marketing potential there.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    I think the new NY team would have to be the Cosmos. Too much marketing potential there.
    There's been a Cosmos group that's been laying the groundwork for a while to make this happen. Is this what MLS is thinking or is the new NY club still up for grabs?

Recruit
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Personally, I admire them for changing their name and at least admitting, "Darn right we're taking the money." The Chicago Fire kept their name, but their jerseys are plastered with a giant Quaker Oats logo across the front of it. with the actual fire logo the size of a monogram in the upper right. Jsut go with it and change the name. It doesn't make sense when you don't know all the teams in the league and you are trying to figure out who the "Quakers" are when seeing highlights later in the day.
    This is how soccer works everywhere in the world. The club's logo is a badge on the upper right of the shirt and a main sponsor is in the center. The sponsor can change every few years also.

http://www.rethinkcollegefootball.com

"How do you fire Jo Pa? #insult #noclass as a hawkeye fan I find it in poor taste"
    - Ashton Kutcher

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The thing is, though, the entire soccer universe does this. The Chicago Fire plastering a gigantic Quaker logo on the front of their jersey with a small crest on the upper left is the exact same thing that Manchester United does with the gigantic Aon logo plastered on the front with a small ManU crest on the upper left. I'm not going to criticize Chicago or any other MLS franchise for doing what even the best and most profitable soccer teams in the world do.

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    There's been a Cosmos group that's been laying the groundwork for a while to make this happen. Is this what MLS is thinking or is the new NY club still up for grabs?
    You know, I totally forgot about the Cosmos. This actually seems likely.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 38

Can someone who really follows MLS tell us if there is demand for a second team in NY? Aren't there other cities in the US that could provide a team? Would putting a team somewhere in the south and trying to create interest in that region make more sense then a second team in NY?

I am not that in touch with the MLS but just a couple questions that came to mind.

Edit: Does this also screw up the divisions? Who moves to the West?

Last edited by boone7247; 08-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 149

I would love to have dropping down a division on the line. About time America.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,990
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by timhisu View Post
    This is how soccer works everywhere in the world. The club's logo is a badge on the upper right of the shirt and a main sponsor is in the center. The sponsor can change every few years also.
    I know how it works, just commenting that it's annoying as hell and how I admire the team willing to take that sponsorship as their name. Either way, it's just an annoyance to me. I understand that sports is all about money and they get that money however they want. Not a problem really, other than if you don't follow the league that closely, it's tough to figure out who is who as that sponsorship changes.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know how it works, just commenting that it's annoying as hell and how I admire the team willing to take that sponsorship as their name. Either way, it's just an annoyance to me. I understand that sports is all about money and they get that money however they want. Not a problem really, other than if you don't follow the league that closely, it's tough to figure out who is who as that sponsorship changes.
    You must love that the NBA is about to do the same thing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    Can someone who really follows MLS tell us if there is demand for a second team in NY? Aren't there other cities in the US that could provide a team? Would putting a team somewhere in the south and trying to create interest in that region make more sense then a second team in NY?

I am not that in touch with the MLS but just a couple questions that came to mind.

Edit: Does this also screw up the divisions? Who moves to the West?
    I'm sure NYC could handle another franchise, especially if the MLS and Cosmos come to an agreement. I've read that New Yorkers aren't supporting NYRB because the stadium is not in NYC. The problem with the Cosmos is management has made it clear they don't want to be restricted by MLS' salary cap structure and they have agreed to play in the USL, the second division of US soccer, because there is no salary cap.

A team down south would make sense but I feel that the only viable place would be Atlanta as Florida sports fans don't always show up to watch the teams they have in other sports (Marlins and Heat before the playoffs).

I thought I read somewhere that the management up in Minnesota for the stadium was trying to see if MLS would bring a team there if the stadium would be able to host soccer games. I don't think MLS was too hot on the idea, but a team in the Twin Cities would probably prosper.