Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 743,816, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,373
    Points
    743,816
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 57

    Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 41,280, Level: 62
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,158
    Points
    41,280
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 28

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Great stuff Chris. I would have liked more of an answer about what a passing game coordinator does though.



  3. #3
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 580,721, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,014
    Points
    580,721
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 20

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    I hope Jerome Tiller does well. Here's a guy who very easily could have gone the JuCo route last year, after he had his academic issues, and kept playing football. Instead, he gets his affairs in order, changes positions, keeps his head down, and his mouth shut. I respect the hell out of that. I really hope it pays off for him.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 203,953, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,068
    Points
    203,953
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 18

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    Great stuff Chris. I would have liked more of an answer about what a passing game coordinator does though.
    What, more than this:

    “I help Coach Messingham with the passing game,” said Sturdy.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 183,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,213
    Points
    183,318
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 93

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    Great stuff Chris. I would have liked more of an answer about what a passing game coordinator does though.

    Watching that full interview on cyclones.com it really appeared like all of his answers were pretty canned and not saying much.

    He seems like a good guy for the job, and I really hope so. We have a LOT of room for improvement with our passing game all around (QB,TE,WR)



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 23,559, Level: 47
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mcblogerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,433
    Points
    23,559
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Even if Tiller isnt a great WR, they'll have some nice trick plays to run with him.


    "You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

    -Some Guy

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 165,481, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,315
    Points
    165,481
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    I'm really excited about the WR's. It's been a while since we've had a good receiving corp.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 311,476, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    13,614
    Points
    311,476
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 314

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    I think they have more potential than the last few years, but I think we are going to see a lot of Lenz, West, Gary, and Horne this year. The young guys should get some shots to show what they can do but I don't think they will catch a majority of the passes. Bundrage obviously has the best shot because he is pencilled in as the starter right now but we'll see what happens when they take the field. I will be very happily surprised to see him catch a lot of passes this year.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 183,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,213
    Points
    183,318
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 93

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I think they have more potential than the last few years, but I think we are going to see a lot of Lenz, West, Gary, and Horne this year. The young guys should get some shots to show what they can do but I don't think they will catch a majority of the passes. Bundrage obviously has the best shot because he is pencilled in as the starter right now but we'll see what happens when they take the field. I will be very happily surprised to see him catch a lot of passes this year.
    That may be the shortest group of WRs in college football!



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 67,539, Level: 80
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,211
    Points
    67,539
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 1

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I think they have more potential than the last few years, but I think we are going to see a lot of Lenz, West, Gary, and Horne this year. The young guys should get some shots to show what they can do but I don't think they will catch a majority of the passes. Bundrage obviously has the best shot because he is pencilled in as the starter right now but we'll see what happens when they take the field. I will be very happily surprised to see him catch a lot of passes this year.
    I expect a big year from Lenz. Up to the OSU game last year he was our leading receiver with 33 rec's. If he had not gotten hurt he would have ended up the leading receiver.

    In the past few years we had some decent athletes as WR's but they seemed not to be very polished in the art of being a receiver. They may have had decent speed, size and strength but didn't know how to do the little things like finding a way to catch the ball, making the right cuts, or getting into the open spot in the coverage.

    Jake Williams in my opinion was the best receiver we had in the past 3 years. He wasn't the best athlete but he knew how to play the receiver position.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 31,093, Level: 54
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,672
    Points
    31,093
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    I expect a big year from Lenz. Up to the OSU game last year he was our leading receiver with 33 rec's. If he had not gotten hurt he would have ended up the leading receiver.

    In the past few years we had some decent athletes as WR's but they seemed not to be very polished in the art of being a receiver. They may have had decent speed, size and strength but didn't know how to do the little things like finding a way to catch the ball, making the right cuts, or getting into the open spot in the coverage.

    Jake Williams in my opinion was the best receiver we had in the past 3 years. He wasn't the best athlete but he knew how to play the receiver position.

    I agree, to me Lenz is the clear leader in the group going into this year. He isnt the fastest, he isnt the biggest, or strongest . . . . when JB or SJ needs a big 3rd down catch to move the chains you can bet they will look to Lenz. He made one of the most spectacular catches I have ever witnessed in the UCONN game and just seems to find the hole in a zone and knows how to create space against man coverage.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 269,146, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,162
    Points
    269,146
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 229

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I agree, to me Lenz is the clear leader in the group going into this year. He isnt the fastest, he isnt the biggest, or strongest . . . . when JB or SJ needs a big 3rd down catch to move the chains you can bet they will look to Lenz. He made one of the most spectacular catches I have ever witnessed in the UCONN game and just seems to find the hole in a zone and knows how to create space against man coverage.
    I think Lenz may be the fastest of the bunch, but I hope that doesn't distract from the scrappy whiteboy gritgasm you have going on there.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 311,476, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    13,614
    Points
    311,476
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 314

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    That may be the shortest group of WRs in college football!
    That's why Bundrage, Tiller, and JaQuaius Daniels will all have their roles. I just have a feeling that at the end of the year, the upperclassmen will have a majority of the catches.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 31,612, Level: 54
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,275
    Points
    31,612
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 16

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    I expect a big year from Lenz. Up to the OSU game last year he was our leading receiver with 33 rec's. If he had not gotten hurt he would have ended up the leading receiver.

    In the past few years we had some decent athletes as WR's but they seemed not to be very polished in the art of being a receiver. They may have had decent speed, size and strength but didn't know how to do the little things like finding a way to catch the ball, making the right cuts, or getting into the open spot in the coverage.

    Jake Williams in my opinion was the best receiver we had in the past 3 years. He wasn't the best athlete but he knew how to play the receiver position.
    Oh the little things like finding a way to catch the ball. Gets you every time!



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Notebook: Sturdy high on WR's at this point

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    That may be the shortest group of WRs in college football!
    Beats being the slowest group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I hope Jerome Tiller does well. Here's a guy who very easily could have gone the JuCo route last year, after he had his academic issues, and kept playing football. Instead, he gets his affairs in order, changes positions, keeps his head down, and his mouth shut. I respect the hell out of that. I really hope it pays off for him.
    How do you figure? It was his junior year, and he ha dalready used his redshirt. Maybe he could have gone FCS or D2, butI don't think that JC was an option.

    I'm still glad that he stuck around, hopefully it means getting his degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think Lenz may be the fastest of the bunch, but I hope that doesn't distract from the scrappy whiteboy gritgasm you have going on there.
    Fastest compared to whom? West ran a 10.8 or so 100m in high school.

    I like these guys. And the best part is, while four are seniors, a whole bunch of talent will be back next season!




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM