Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

Recruiting peers

Throughout this recruiting season, I have seen a number of discussions regarding how our recruits don't have quality offers or enough stars and this has been causing concern. I was thinking along those basic lines, but then I wondered:

Which schools would you consider to be ISUs recruiting peers? By this I mean, if you had a few random recruits, who would you expect us to be a coin flip against for those recruits? It would be nice to see a kid with offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, and Texas come here, but that's not typically realistic.

What would you consider our selling points against a school that you would rank higher?

I admit, this line of questioning formed when I was starting my 3rd season of dynasty in NCAA 13, seeing all the different rankings and attributes I was leveraging to pull in recruits.

Thoughts?

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 1

Re: Recruiting peers

Right now, ISU is probably at the same recruiting level as a majority of current Big East teams and lower-tier ACC teams (Louisville, Wake Forest, UConn, Cincinnati, etc), with some of the better C-USA teams and Mountain West teams thrown in (Houston, UCF, Southern Miss, etc).

Once the new football facility is completed, ISU can offer high-quality facilities that some of these programs can't match. They also provide a chance to play against some of the best programs in the nation, something the Big East, C-USA and the ACC definitely can't provide.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 9

It may have taken me 3 seasons on NCAA, but I had 5 star recruits tied around my finger after the 3 peat (3 National Championships in a row, Freshman Recruiting difficulty). I'm just wondering why after 3 seasons here why Rhoad's cant have the same success I am.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by sdillon500 View Post
    Right now, ISU is probably at the same recruiting level as a majority of current Big East teams and lower-tier ACC teams (Louisville, Wake Forest, UConn, Cincinnati, etc), with some of the better C-USA teams and Mountain West teams thrown in (Houston, UCF, Southern Miss, etc).

Once the new football facility is completed, ISU can offer high-quality facilities that some of these programs can't match. They also provide a chance to play against some of the best programs in the nation, something the Big East, C-USA and the ACC definitely can't provide.
    I'll add to this list with Kentucky, Vandy (once Franklin is gone), Miss State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska (in some situations, see:Lanning). WVU, Cincinnati, and Missouri are the schools I've seen the most with kids that are pretty high on us.

Last edited by Yes13; 08-13-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 94

This thread has potential
    *grabs popcorn*

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    I'll add to this list with Kentucky, Vandy (once Franklin is gone), Miss State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska (in some situations, see:Lanning). WVU, Cincinnati, and Missouri are the schools I've seen the most with kids that are pretty high on us.
    Miss St, Iowa, Nebraska (Lanning committed to ISU which is 20 minutes away from his hometown), WVU, and Missouri all can recruit better players overall than ISU.

I think Vandy (not since they got Franklin), Kentucky is close though I think they have an edge with them missing a bowl game for the first time in like 6 years, Colorado, Northwestern, Kansas St, Kansas, Upper Mountain West and C-USA such as East Carolina as an example. Seems like most of the schools that you listed get some pretty good players. While we seem to get a lot of 2 and 3 star recruits, a lot of the other schools seem to get at least one if not multiple 4 star recruits each year. People can say that stars don't matter but when theyre consistently getting players with more stars i'd say that it shows overall the level of talent each school is able to get.

Who was ISU's last 4 star recruits? Anthony and Chris Young (no relation, recruiting class of 2010) who we beat out some Mountain West, C-USA, WAC, and Sun Belt teams and only K-State in terms of other bcs offers. Before that it was Darius Reynolds out of Junior College who yahoo! sports shows only ISU offering. The last 4 star player out of high school that we beat out other bcs schools on was Sedrick Johnson in '08 although with him it shows we beat out Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, TCU, and Texas A&M.

I won't complain about the recruits that ISU gets, I appreciate all of them for choosing to spend their college years in Ames, but it does seem like the kids we get overall are at a lower talent level than almost all bcs schools.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesForever View Post
    Miss St, Iowa, Nebraska (Lanning committed to ISU which is 20 minutes away from his hometown), WVU, and Missouri all can recruit better players overall than ISU.

I think Vandy (not since they got Franklin), Kentucky is close though I think they have an edge with them missing a bowl game for the first time in like 6 years, Colorado, Northwestern, Kansas St, Kansas, Upper Mountain West and C-USA such as East Carolina as an example. Seems like most of the schools that you listed get some pretty good players. While we seem to get a lot of 2 and 3 star recruits, a lot of the other schools seem to get at least one if not multiple 4 star recruits each year. People can say that stars don't matter but when theyre consistently getting players with more stars i'd say that it shows overall the level of talent each school is able to get.

Who was ISU's last 4 star recruits? Anthony and Chris Young (no relation, recruiting class of 2010) who we beat out some Mountain West, C-USA, WAC, and Sun Belt teams and only K-State in terms of other bcs offers. Before that it was Darius Reynolds out of Junior College who yahoo! sports shows only ISU offering. The last 4 star player out of high school that we beat out other bcs schools on was Sedrick Johnson in '08 although with him it shows we beat out Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, TCU, and Texas A&M.

I won't complain about the recruits that ISU gets, I appreciate all of them for choosing to spend their college years in Ames, but it does seem like the kids we get overall are at a lower talent level than almost all bcs schools.
    I'm not saying our classes should be ranked as high as some of those schools I listed. If a kid has us and those schools in his top 3 I feel like we should be able to feel somewhat confident about getting him.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 6

Wasn't a 4 star but DeVondrick Nealy had some big name schools offer him

DeVondrick Nealy - Yahoo! Sports

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 474

Within the Big XII I'd say we recruit against Kansas, Kansas State, and maybe Texas Tech. A few years ago I would have had Baylor on that list as well.

For non Big XII schools in the area (Mizzou, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois) I'd say we probably recruit against Minnesota and Illinois. Mizzou would have been on that list pre-SEC. Iowa we really only recruit against for in state guys.

If you wanted to spread out the "Local" area you could probably add Louisville, Cincy, and Kentucky to that list. But that's more for competing for Florida and Texas kids.

In Florida I'd say we recruit against UCF and USF.

In Texas for non-Big XII schools we probably recruit against Houston and SMU.

Last edited by Judoka; 08-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

Same with damien lawry. Had lots of big offers.

I think the only big program we have stolen from in this class was Arkansas... They offered the TE that committed to us, iirc.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

I won't complain about the recruits that ISU gets, I appreciate all of them for choosing to spend their college years in Ames, but it does seem like the kids we get overall are at a lower talent level than almost all bcs schools . . for example . . AJ Kline.
    Fixed it for you!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    I'm not saying our classes should be ranked as high as some of those schools I listed. If a kid has us and those schools in his top 3 I feel like we should be able to feel somewhat confident about getting him.
    Then you aren't basing your opinion in reality.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Within the Big XII I'd say we recruit against Kansas, Kansas State, and maybe Texas Tech. A few years ago I would have had Baylor on that list as well.

For non Big XII schools in the area (Mizzou, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois) I'd say we probably recruit against Minnesota and Illinois. Mizzou would have been on that list pre-SEC. Iowa we really only recruit against for in state guys.

If you wanted to spread out the "Local" area you could probably add Louisville, Cincy, and Kentucky to that list. But that's more for competing for Florida and Texas kids.

In Florida I'd say we recruit against UCF and USF.

In Texas for non-Big XII schools we probably recruit against Houston and SMU.
    Iowa and ISU have went head to head (among other schools) around 10 times this year already and most of them have been out of staters. I'd say that qualifies.

Considering Iowa and ISU run completely different systems on both sides of the ball, play in different conferences, and have historically had drastically different recruiting pipelines, maybe this year was an anomoly?

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

The reality is, Iowa will outrecruit ISU even if ISU beats them 3/4 of the time. The whole state is enamored with the squakeyes, it would take a decade of success to turn that around. My honest opinion, I see no reason we can't compete or get better recruits then Minn, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, KSU, KU, BU, majority of the big east, Wake, UK, USF, UCF, Colorado, WSU, Oregon ST, etc. There is a few more but I can't think of them. I think selling points should be conference strength, facilities, excited fanbase & excellent coaching staff. No doubt though, being the most north school in a small Iowa town is not the best selling point...

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 153

Think it depends on which region of the US the recruit is from too. It seems CA we end up going vs WAC/Mtn West as both are trying to find the recruits away from the metroplexes where the top talent get PAC12 & other higher flyers.
    Texas we do compete more with the Iowa's and other teams just off the top tier programs as we have a more established pipeline through past players, coaching relationships, etc. Think Terran Benton had an Iowa offer as well as others.

I'd agree with previous sentiments - seems like most competition recently is from lower half of Big XII (KU, KSU, TTech), Big East (like Cincy, USF), Houston/SMU, and MAC schools. Key will be to retain them all should they really blow up & get late offers like the Boyd kid @ LB who then changed to Baylor (& later went into the military, I believe). Also, Florida just lost 2 four star players to Vanderbilt, so lots of things could happen.

Not the biggest proponent of the ratings system, of which Rivals seems to be the top one. However, they are what is there, and if the list one can generate from the Rivals database (those with offers & high interest in Iowa State) has any form of accuracy whatsover, we are in the hunt for players that are more like Terran Benton and have other offers from larger/higher profile programs - Missouri, West Virginia, Mississippi State, Miami (FL), Tennessee, Kentucky, Purdue, Arizona, NC State, & Boise State.

Section110 on 9/12/14: Iowa 35 ISU 17
    The subpar defense from the Cyclones gives the Hawks a chance to finally start to get their confidence rolling on offense. Both running the football and through the air.
    *Breakout player prediction.... Everyone is going to have their eyes on Allen Lazard because of his hype coming out of H.S., but Derrick Willies steals the show.