Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: laptop advice?

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 36,882, Level: 59
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,882
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    laptop advice?

    want to get a laptop for the sole purpose of watching tv on it. live streaming games and such. my buddy has an old macbook he said i could buy for about 225. as i live in the backwoods and haven't owned a computer since 2004, i am a little in the dark about what avenue i should take.

    are chromebooks worth a crap? or is there something better i should be looking into. i just want to live stream sports and tv shows at a reasonable speed and of course will need enough space to download various applications to watch via different sites.

    any advice?

    oh yeah, i'm broke as ***** too, so it needs to be on the cheap (under $400 for sure).



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 18,922, Level: 41
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    18,922
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 8

    Re: laptop advice?

    Take the Macbook for 225 or less.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 55,228, Level: 72
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,262
    Points
    55,228
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 105

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCyIce View Post
    Take the Macbook for 225 or less.
    Ditto



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 37,063, Level: 59
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    letsCYber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    1,378
    Points
    37,063
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

    Re: laptop advice?

    Get the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. Its by far the best option for people that are broke.


    a/s/l?

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 38,099, Level: 60
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,117
    Points
    38,099
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    want to get a laptop for the sole purpose of watching tv on it. live streaming games and such. my buddy has an old macbook he said i could buy for about 225. as i live in the backwoods and haven't owned a computer since 2004, i am a little in the dark about what avenue i should take.

    are chromebooks worth a crap? or is there something better i should be looking into. i just want to live stream sports and tv shows at a reasonable speed and of course will need enough space to download various applications to watch via different sites.

    any advice?

    oh yeah, i'm broke as ***** too, so it needs to be on the cheap (under $400 for sure).
    You're getting a good deal. Take it.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 29,907, Level: 53
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 943
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,745
    Points
    29,907
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

    Re: laptop advice?

    How old is the MacBook? They've been out for quite awhile and if it's 2006-08 range I'd be hesitant to purchase it. The graphics solutions were pretty garbage back then, could give you issues on HD and Blu Ray. If its an '09 or newer it should be fine.

    With your 400 dollar budget I'd consider the Lenovo outlet. Say something like:
    Lenovo|
    (EMAIL10 gets you 10% off FYI). If you're patient they get even cheaper, they haven't restocked recently.
    Advantages vs. the MacBook(I'm running under the assumption its not 1-2 years old
    ): Significantly better processor, more HD space, more RAM, better GPU.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 36,014, Level: 58
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    packattack425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    El Paso
    Posts
    896
    Points
    36,014
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 1

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    want to get a laptop for the sole purpose of watching porn on it. live streaming games and such. my buddy has an old macbook he said i could buy for about 225. as i live in the backwoods and haven't owned a computer since 2004, i am a little in the dark about what avenue i should take.

    are chromebooks worth a crap? or is there something better i should be looking into. i just want to live stream sports and tv shows at a reasonable speed and of course will need enough space to download various applications to watch via different sites.

    any advice?

    oh yeah, i'm broke as ***** too, so it needs to be on the cheap (under $400 for sure).

    lets be honest.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 36,882, Level: 59
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,882
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by packattack425 View Post
    lets be honest.
    ha ha

    though i see your point, i haven't had my own computer for the better half of a decade so that should be a good indication of how much porn i haven't been watching. it seriously is mainly about watching sports. particularly isu football.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 33,904, Level: 56
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boone (not Marshalltown)
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    33,904
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 84

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    ha ha

    though i see your point, i haven't had my own computer for the better half of a decade so that should be a good indication of how much porn i haven't been watching. it seriously is mainly about watching sports. particularly isu football.
    The porn is just a bonus. It always is...


    "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate!"

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 36,882, Level: 59
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,882
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    How old is the MacBook? They've been out for quite awhile and if it's 2006-08 range I'd be hesitant to purchase it. The graphics solutions were pretty garbage back then, could give you issues on HD and Blu Ray. If its an '09 or newer it should be fine.

    With your 400 dollar budget I'd consider the Lenovo outlet. Say something like:
    Lenovo|
    (EMAIL10 gets you 10% off FYI). If you're patient they get even cheaper, they haven't restocked recently.
    Advantages vs. the MacBook(I'm running under the assumption its not 1-2 years old
    ): Significantly better processor, more HD space, more RAM, better GPU.
    it is one of the oldest, must be from 06 because he thought it was an 05 (did they even make them then)? so, yes, this does worry me. when will this computer take a crap on me? i currently watch sports with my buddy on his computer which is the same model, year etc. is an 06 worth that much? hopefully wiping the HD clean would take out any previous glitches right?



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 36,882, Level: 59
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,882
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtISU View Post
    The porn is just a bonus. It always is...
    too true friend, too true.



  12. #12
    Prospect
    Points: 1,820, Level: 11
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    38
    Points
    1,820
    Level
    11
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 28

    Re: laptop advice?

    This is a decent laptop for the price, but it won't be around for much longer, so jump if you want it.

    http://sellout.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-laptop-4

    Just understand this thing won't be able to run any complex games (nothing will for $400) but I will do fine streaming.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 47,537, Level: 67
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Let's Go State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Far Western Iowa
    Posts
    1,845
    Points
    47,537
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: laptop advice?

    Dude- get a dell!



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 29,927, Level: 53
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    cymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ames, the labb
    Posts
    1,092
    Points
    29,927
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: laptop advice?

    I was in the same spot a couple months ago. Buy the the new iPad. The iPad seriously is the best thing for watching movies, surfing the web etc. the screen is beautiful and the best part about iPad is that it is extremely portable.


    in the laaaaab

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 19,253, Level: 42
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    CyFever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    931
    Points
    19,253
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: laptop advice?

    Quote Originally Posted by cymate View Post
    I was in the same spot a couple months ago. Buy the the new iPad. The iPad seriously is the best thing for watching movies, surfing the web etc. the screen is beautiful and the best part about iPad is that it is extremely portable.
    I would suggest looking at a tablet too.

    Don't think you're going to get an iPad for the $400 budget though. There are a number of Android powered tablets that will give you a better value for your dollar. As an additional plus, most of them have a wider aspect ratio which makes them better for watching video.

    Benefits of a tabled in general (including the iPad): Lighter weight, more portable, easier to hold, better battery life.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM