Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,063
    Given: 218

Home theater PC in prep for football

OK CF'ers...here's a challenge for the computer experts:

For years I've wanted to be able to get stuff off my DVR. Challenge is I have IP cable, so something like the happauge tuner card doesn't work for my cable...as far as I know. The cable I have is similar to what a lot of Net INS providers do, not sure what's over in the Ames area, I'm sure some of the smaller towns have this. (I'm on South Slope if you're in the area)

Ideally, I'd prefer to replace my cable box itself, kinda cheapo, in my opinion.

Secondly, if I could pull off of my DVR's hard drive...idk, there are USB connectors on the side, but I couldn't do anything by just hooking up a cable...go figure.

Alternately, if I can capture and save, that'd be fine too.

I have:

a 2002-ish vintage dell tower, ran last time I plugged it in, hard drives were taken out....4 years ago?

a 2012 laptop that I use for my regular PC. I wouldn't mind having the laptop back up to the other PC.

A recent article about RaspberryPI running XBMC got me to thinking again, but I'm very good at using computers, but am only serviceable on configuring them. Put it this way, my wife comes to me at home when there's a computer problem, but at work, I go to someone else.

I would like to record Iowa State games to save for later, whether they be on cable or cyclones.tv.

What's my options?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Re: Home theater PC in prep for football

This is how I do it:

Hauppauge - HD Personal Video Recorder - HAUP1212

Connected to my laptop or desktop. Need to find a way to get it wireless to my desktop so I don't have to leave my laptop by the TV.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    This is how I do it:

Hauppauge - HD Personal Video Recorder - HAUP1212

Connected to my laptop or desktop. Need to find a way to get it wireless to my desktop so I don't have to leave my laptop by the TV.
    So that goes between your 'box' (sat/cable/etc) and TV? That might work. I was struggling with the happauge cards with tuner included because all have had a coax input. My 'cable' is via ethernet. This might be a compromise. I see the "IR BLASTER" will change channel on your 'box'?

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Can you get a cable card?

There is this: Newegg.com - SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Three Digital Tuners, Anywhere on Your Network HDHR3-CC Ethernet Interface

It essentially converts the tv signal to be accessible on your home network. It is then compatible with Windows Media Center (which is included in Windows 7), so you have all your dvr features.

Excellent company and community that provides a ton of support, and it pretty much works out of the box. Hook up to your cable, then run ethernet cable from it to your router, install the software, and magic happens. It won't help you with cyclones.tv though. Recording to that is a bit trickier, there is software to do it, but you will probably run into issues, and results may not be very good. There could also be some legality issues there. (most definitely are)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    So that goes between your 'box' (sat/cable/etc) and TV? That might work. I was struggling with the happauge cards with tuner included because all have had a coax input. My 'cable' is via ethernet. This might be a compromise. I see the "IR BLASTER" will change channel on your 'box'?
    Yes, I output from my cable box to my laptop and TV (computer via USB, TV via component to HDMI cable) and record to my external hard drive.

I haven't used the IR blaster. Was too lazy to figure out what was going on.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 408

This is easier than you think.

Start by recylcling this:

a 2002-ish vintage dell tower, ran last time I plugged it in, hard drives were taken out....4 years ago?

Then install an internal or external tuner to your Windows Media Center enabled laptop or PC. voila!

Why even bother with XBMC? Stream with Plex.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
    Can you get a cable card?

It won't help you with cyclones.tv though. Recording to that is a bit trickier, there is software to do it, but you will probably run into issues, and results may not be very good. There could also be some legality issues there. (most definitely are)
    WRT cable card...not sure, my main problem with most solutions thus far is that what my signal comes on is ethernet, not coax....maybe not answering/asking the right question.

WRT cyclones.com...Yeah, I guess I should have worded that differently. For cyclones.tv currently, I set my laptop next to the TV and run a HDMI cable. If I was doing something with an actual PC, I'd just use that and keep the laptop free.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    This is easier than you think.

Start by recylcling this:

Then install an internal or external tuner to your Windows Media Center enabled laptop or PC. voila!

Why even bother with XBMC? Stream with Plex.
    Full disclosure: The Dell Tower just hasn't found it's recycling home, I'm not just 'hoping I can find a use for it'. I only included it because I've seen some 'recycle an old PC into a multimedia center' articles, but read them and thought....ehh....can't I just buy something? Took the hard drives out of it with the intention of recycling it, just haven't gotten to it.