View Poll Results: How many regular season wins will the 2012 Cyclones have?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 or less

1 1.16%

4 4.65%

15 17.44%

16 18.60%

43 50.00%

5 5.81%
  • 9 or more

2 2.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

***Official 2012 Season Prediction Thread***

The season is finally here and I want to read some season predictions! How many wins will the Cyclones have?

Sept 1st
    TULSA Win 27-17
    I see this game a lot like the 2010 Northern Illinois game. ISU jumps out ahead 10-0 or so... Tulsa hangs around and makes it too close for comfort. Something like 20-10 going into the fourth quarter. ISU with a late score to put it away.

Sept 8th
    @ Iowa Win 21-20
    A nail biter reminiscent of last years game. I pray we come out of Iowa City with our first win over there since 2002. The Cyclones have not played well in kinnick as of late, but I don't think that will affect the 2012 group as much as hawkeye fans are hoping for. Another great game in this series.

Sept 15th
    WESTERN ILLINOIS Win 34-10
    I don't see the Leathernecks as too much of a problem. Granted, I know almost nothing about them other than they only won about 2 games last season. I see this game as similar to Coach Rhoads' first road win @Kent State. Ugly at times, but we are talented enough to win handily.

Bye Week

Sept 29th
    TEXAS TECH Win 35-28
    A big game for both teams. I think we come out a little sluggish after the bye week... Rhoads' teams' have not typically played well after breaks (season openers, bye weeks, bowl games) Another back and forth game that cyclones edge out in the end.

Oct 6th
    @TCU Lose 37-14
    I don't forsee TCU being better than 7 or 8 wins this year, but Im betting this is the game we come out flat. This is our '11 Texas or '11 Missouri game. After a fantastic 4-0 start our guys run out of steam a bit. TCU will not have faced a tough schedule up to this point, I see TCU being very energized for the start of their first big 12 season.

Oct 13th
    KANSAS STATE Win 24-21
    A HUGE win for the cyclones! This is the game im most excited for this season. Kansas State's first trip to JTS since 2007, and will look for their first win in ames since 2003... I don't think they find it. Our gameplan has been solid vs KSU the past few years, but there has been 1 (similar type) play that has won the game for them at least 2 of the last 3 meetings: They run the ball and lull our DBs to sleep and throw up over the top of us for a long TD pass. If we can prevent that play, we win the game. Sounds more simple than it is, but that play opens up their run game for the rest of the day.

Oct 20th
    @Oklahoma State Lose 34-17
    I think we battle with these guys but the cowboys are just too deep and talented. Tough to win on the road in the big 12 and the 'boys will be out for revenge.

Oct 27th
    BAYLOR Win 42-27
    Baylor is a big wildcard team. They could be 7 or more wins again or as bad as 2003 Iowa State post seneca wallace. I see them making a lower tier bowl game at 6-6. As for this game specifically, I think our defense does a great job stopping the (Baylor) spread. We shut down their immensely talented receiver group and handle their running game led by jared salubi.

Nov 3rd
    OKLAHOMA Lose 49-27
    I keep seeing this game in my head as similar to the 2000 ISU vs Nebraska game. It was 14-13 or so at halftime… We had kicked and recovered a surprise onside opening kickoff. In the end, the Huskers, and Sooners will prove to be too talented. Many have hopes that this game is our big upset of the year, but I don’t think we are ready yet to beat stoops and company. Stoops hates Iowa State and will want to beat our *** into the ground and run up the score.

Nov 10th
    @Texas Lose 21-10
    Like the 2002 Texas game. A beaten down cyclone team comes into Austin and battles for 4 quarters. A tough break at the end for the cyclones clinches a ‘horn victory.

Nov 17th
    @Kansas win 20-13
    A tough, hard fought game against a Kansas team that will throw everything but the kitchen sink at us to get their first big 12 win of the year. Scary situation… playing a team on the road late in the year with nothing to lose. I hope we can come energized, focused and ready to play. I’ll be at the game, so we better win!

Nov 23rd
    WEST VIRGINIA
    This is a very tough game for me to predict. I could see WVU coming off an emotional home win vs OU and then going on the road and stumbling to a 7-4 Iowa State team on black Friday. That’s what Im hoping for, so that’s what I predict happens. WVU is a good team that lost some head scratching games last year, lets welcome our new big 12 brother in with a great tailgate, a packed stadium and a big win.

Bowl game… something like the Insight bowl. 8-4 (5-4) tied for 5th place in the conference with KSU and TCU. Sounds like Im drinking the kool-aid again, but these are my highest expectations for ISU I've had in awhile.

1. Oklahoma
    2. Texas
    3. West Virginia
    4. Oklahoma State
    5. TCU
    5. Kansas State
    5. Iowa State
    8. Texas Tech
    9. Baylor
    10. Kansas

Last edited by dualthreat; 08-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 204

Re: ***Official 2012 Season Prediction Thread***

officially excited!

KFitzy87

I like our team this year, but this is a TOUGH schedule... I expect results should nearly mirror last year... We beat most of the teams we should beat and get one of the "better" conference opponents. The differences I predict are we swap the season opening win for a win against Baylor, and I expect us to struggle offensively against the Hoks in Kinnick, resulting in a L... Although it will be a close game...

If I had to peg our wins...

Western Illinois
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    Kansas
    (TCU, KState, or WV)

Rhoads will get criticized more than he has yet at ISU after the slow 0-2 start, but by the end of the season it will be a faint memory, hopefully.

Someone want to get me some kool-aid?

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    The season is finally here and I want to read some season predictions! How many wins will the Cyclones have?

Sept 1st
    TULSA Win 27-17
    I see this game a lot like the 2010 Northern Illinois game. ISU jumps out ahead 10-0 or so... Tulsa hangs around and makes it too close for comfort. Something like 20-10 going into the fourth quarter. ISU with a late score to put it away.

Sept 8th
    @ Iowa Win 21-20
    A nail biter reminiscent of last years game. I pray we come out of Iowa City with our first win over there since 2002. The Cyclones have not played well in kinnick as of late, but I don't think that will affect the 2012 group as much as hawkeye fans are hoping for. Another great game in this series.

Sept 15th
    I don't see the Leathernecks as too much of a problem. Granted, I know almost nothing about them other than they only won about 2 games last season. I see this game as similar to Coach Rhoads' first road win @Kent State. Ugly at times, but we are talented enough to win handily.

Bye Week

Sept 29th
    TEXAS TECH Win 35-28
    A big game for both teams. I think we come out a little sluggish after the bye week... Rhoads' teams' have not typically played well after breaks (season openers, bye weeks, bowl games) Another back and forth game that cyclones edge out in the end.

Oct 6th
    @TCU Lose 37-14
    I don't forsee TCU being better than 7 or 8 wins this year, but Im betting this is the game we come out flat. This is our '11 Texas or '11 Missouri game. After a fantastic 4-0 start our guys run out of steam a bit. TCU will not have faced a tough schedule up to this point, I see TCU being very energized for the start of their first big 12 season.

Oct 13th
    KANSAS STATE Win 24-21
    A HUGE win for the cyclones! This is the game im most excited for this season. Kansas State's first trip to JTS since 2007, and will look for their first win in ames since 2003... I don't think they find it. Our gameplan has been solid vs KSU the past few years, but there has been 1 (similar type) play that has won the game for them at least 2 of the last 3 meetings: They run the ball and lull our DBs to sleep and throw up over the top of us for a long TD pass. If we can prevent that play, we win the game. Sounds more simple than it is, but that play opens up their run game for the rest of the day.

Oct 20th
    I think we battle with these guys but the cowboys are just too deep and talented. Tough to win on the road in the big 12 and the 'boys will be out for revenge.

Oct 27th
    BAYLOR Win 42-27
    Baylor is a big wildcard team. They could be 7 or more wins again or as bad as 2003 Iowa State post seneca wallace. I see them making a lower tier bowl game at 6-6. As for this game specifically, I think our defense does a great job stopping the (Baylor) spread. We shut down their immensely talented receiver group and handle their running game led by jared salubi.

Nov 3rd
    OKLAHOMA Lose 49-27
    I keep seeing this game in my head as similar to the 2000 ISU vs Nebraska game. It was 14-13 or so at halftime… We had kicked and recovered a surprise onside opening kickoff. In the end, the Huskers, and Sooners will prove to be too talented. Many have hopes that this game is our big upset of the year, but I don’t think we are ready yet to beat stoops and company. Stoops hates Iowa State and will want to beat our *** into the ground and run up the score.

Nov 10th
    @Texas Lose 21-10
    Like the 2002 Texas game. A beaten down cyclone team comes into Austin and battles for 4 quarters. A tough break at the end for the cyclones clinches a ‘horn victory.

Nov 17th
    @Kansas win 20-13
    A tough, hard fought game against a Kansas team that will throw everything but the kitchen sink at us to get their first big 12 win of the year. Scary situation… playing a team on the road late in the year with nothing to lose. I hope we can come energized, focused and ready to play. I’ll be at the game, so we better win!

Nov 23rd
    WEST VIRGINIA
    This is a very tough game for me to predict. I could see WVU coming off an emotional home win vs OU and then going on the road and stumbling to a 7-4 Iowa State team on black Friday. That’s what Im hoping for, so that’s what I predict happens. WVU is a good team that lost some head scratching games last year, lets welcome our new big 12 brother in with a great tailgate, a packed stadium and a big win.

Bowl game… something like the Insight bowl. 8-4 (5-4) tied for 5th place in the conference with KSU and TCU. Sounds like Im drinking the kool-aid again, but these are my highest expectations for ISU I've had in awhile.

1. Oklahoma
    2. Texas
    3. West Virginia
    4. Oklahoma State
    5. TCU
    5. Kansas State
    5. Iowa State
    8. Texas Tech
    9. Baylor
    10. Kansas
    I feel the same way on the W/L. I did vote for 7 wins though because I feel we will probably drop one of Iowa, KState, or WVU.

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 819

With good QB play and improvement at OC, 8 wins.

Legend
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 1,030

If we beat Tulsa and Iowa, 7-8 wins.

If we beat Tulsa, but lose to Iowa, 5-7 wins.

If we lose to Tulsa, but beat Iowa, 5-7 wins.

If we lose to both, 3-4 wins.

I think we will have learned a lot about this team after the first 2 games, minus any injury problems.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 715

I'd like to see more of two-a-days before I decide. BUT...we'll see.

I'm sure I can whip up a "wins" post somewhere.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,462
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 506

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post

Sept 1st
    TULSA Win 27-17

Sept 8th
    @ Iowa Win 21-20

Sept 15th

Bye Week

Sept 29th
    TEXAS TECH Win 35-28

Oct 6th
    @TCU Lose 37-14

Oct 13th
    KANSAS STATE Win 24-21

Oct 20th

Oct 27th
    BAYLOR Win 42-27

Nov 3rd
    OKLAHOMA Lose 49-27

Nov 10th
    @Texas Lose 21-10

Nov 17th
    @Kansas win 20-13

Nov 23rd
    WEST VIRGINIA

1. Oklahoma
    2. Texas
    3. West Virginia
    4. Oklahoma State
    5. TCU
    5. Kansas State
    5. Iowa State
    8. Texas Tech
    9. Baylor
    10. Kansas
    I haven't nailed down my game-by-game yet, but your results and point spreads are looking close to my penciled-in ramblings.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 987
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 22

Wins against:

Tulsa
    Western Illinois
    Texas Tech
    Kansas
    Baylor

Losses against:

Iowa
    TCU
    Kansas State
    Texas
    Oklahoma State
    Oklahoma
    West Virginia

Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Check out my ratings site!

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 987
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 22

This thread will be sponsored by:

Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Check out my ratings site!

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Tulsa - 34-17 Win. We'll kick the trend of poor home opener performances. We're going to run and our RB depth along with our defense will shine. 1-0 (0-0)

@ Iowa - 24-20 Win. We don't play well in Kinnick. We'll have a lot of mistakes and missed opportunities in this game that will keep Iowa in it until the end, but our defense will stop a late Iowa drive and seal the victory. 2-0 (0-0)

Western Illinois - 41-13 Win. Western Illinois will try to stop our run game and while they limit our running attack somewhat, it opens up our passing attack which shines in the breakout offensive performance. 3-0 (0-0)

Texas Tech - 27-21 Win. Tech is improved but Rhoads has the Red Raiders figured out and our starting QB leads the offense down the field late in the 4th quarter to score a TD to win the game. 4-0 (1-0)

@ TCU - 31-17 Loss. Our promising offense sputters on the road. TCU is able to convert on the big plays and ISU does not. 4-1 (1-1)

Kansas State - 31-30 Win. ISU jumps out to a surprising 31-10 lead to start the 2nd half, and it looks like we are in cruise control to finally beat the Top 15 ranked Wildcats. Collin Klein has other ideas, and leads KSU back to within one point late in the 4th quarter. Karma is on the Cyclone's side on this day, however, and the Wildcats miss a last second 43-yard field goal to secure the victory in the Cyclone upset. 5-1 (2-1)

@ Oklahoma State - 40-24 Loss. The Cowboys exact their revenge on the Cyclones in Stillwater. This one won't be as close as the score represents. 5-2 (2-2)

Baylor - 38-20 Win. The loss of Robert Griffin III hurts Baylor more than the experts predict. Baylor still has some talent, but can't overcome the lack of a true playmaker. The student section repeats the towel snowball fight and the Cyclones lead by Shontrelle Johnson roll over the Bears to secure bowl eligibility. 6-2 (3-2)

Oklahoma - 24-21 Loss. The Cyclone defense plays with a chip on their shoulder as Vegas puts the Sooners as a 25 point favorite. On the other hand, the ISU offense is plagued by turnovers and can't muster the production it needs to pull off the upset in Ames. 6-3 (3-3)

@ Texas - 34-17 Loss. A tough road opponent does not bode well for the Cyclones after a disheartening loss against OU. After a close first half, Texas blows the game open with two quick scores in the opening minutes of the 3rd quarter to claim a convincing win. Cyclone Fanatics wonder just how much gas Paul Rhoads has left in this season's tank after such a promising start. 6-4 (3-4)

@ Kansas - 34-21 Win. The first Big 12 road win on the season for the Cyclones comes at a great time for Cyclone Nation. Kansas holds ISU under 100 rushing yards on the day, but the Cyclone air attack comes through with a great offensive performance. 7-4 (4-4)

West Virginia - 35-30 Loss. Jack Trice Stadium is electric in the final home game of the season. This is a back-and-forth battle all game long. The Mountaineers are able to march 90 yards in the final minutes of the game to score the game-winning TD. Another heartbreaker for the Cyclones. 7-5 (4-5)

At 7-5 on the season, the Cyclones head to a decent bowl game somewhere warm (Holiday Bowl?) against a Top 20 opponent. Paul Rhoad's conjures up another marquee upset to make the final record 8-5 for ISU on the season. Cyclones everywhere party like it's 1999!

Final record: 8-5 (4-5)

Last edited by cstrunk; 08-06-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

W Tulsa, 27-17 (1-0)
    W @Iowa, 21-16 (2-0)
    W Western Illinois, 31-7 (3-0)
    W Texas Tech, 28-21 (4-0, 1-0)
    L @TCU, 31-20 (4-1, 1-1)
    W Kansas St., 26-20 OT (5-1, 2-1)
    L @Oklahoma St., 34-17 (5-2, 2-2)
    W Baylor, 25-21 (6-2, 3-2)
    L Oklahoma, 28-7 (6-3, 3-3)
    L @Texas, 23-10 (6-4, 3-4)
    W @Kansas, 24-13 (7-4, 4-4)
    L West Virginia, 34-24 (7-5, 4-5)

7-5 (4-5)

Big 12 standings (no records)
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    West Virginia
    Oklahoma State
    TCU
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Kansas

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 800

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    W Tulsa, 27-17 (1-0)
    W @Iowa, 21-16 (2-0)
    W Western Illinois, 31-7 (3-0)
    W Texas Tech, 28-21 (4-0, 1-0)
    L @TCU, 31-20 (4-1, 1-1)
    W Kansas St., 26-20 OT (5-1, 2-1)
    L @Oklahoma St., 34-17 (5-2, 2-2)
    W Baylor, 25-21 (6-2, 3-2)
    L Oklahoma, 28-7 (6-3, 3-3)
    L @Texas, 23-10 (6-4, 3-4)
    W @Kansas, 24-13 (7-4, 4-4)
    L West Virginia, 34-24 (7-5, 4-5)

7-5 (4-5)

Big 12 standings (no records)
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    West Virginia
    Oklahoma State
    TCU
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Kansas
    Tulsa---52-44W in 4 OT. Woody with the game winning TD. Fans start reminding themselves of the Toledo game with Bret Meyer. We get a big stop on a 4th and 5.

@Iowa-- 27-13 L. Iowa proves to be too good.

Western Illinois--W 33-13 We have a 3 point lead at halftime, but then come out after a CPR speech and smoke them.

Texas Tech--24-23 W. Tech misses a PAT, which fan start thinking the kicking jinx is over.

@TCU--13-37 L. The usual game where they won't come out ready. We get stomped from the get-go.

Kansas St. 20-27 L. Bad matchup for us. The long streak continues.

@Okie St. 10-49 L. They will be out for blood. Literally.

Baylor 35-21 W. Our big win of the year. Baylor will come into the game ranked. CF starts with the thread "Will we go bowling?" thread.

Oklahoma 16-21 L. Trap game for the sooners. We lead at half and at the fourth quarter they kick into another gear.

@Texas 14-24 L. Texas will be a 7 win team but gets off to a 14-0 lead very early and we never recover.

@Kansas 41-38 W in 2 OT. Kansas will prove a feisty opponent with nothing to lose while ISU is playing for their bowl lives. We get a stop on 3rd and 1 and a Barnett to West TD wins the game.

West Virginia L--0-31. Eerily similar to the Mizzou games a couple years ago. We come out very tight and WVU marches up and down the field.

I got us at 5-7 (3-6) in the Big 12...Pretty accurate to what the experts think. The Kansas game scares me for some reason and if we don't win against Baylor or K State, we will find it hard to sneak into a bowl.

Final Predictions

Oklahoma
    WVU
    TCU
    Texas
    Kansas St.
    Oklahoma St.
    Baylor

Iowa St.
    Texas Tech
    Kansas

bold go to bowl games.

Last edited by Cy$; 08-07-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    Tulsa---52-44W in 4 OT. Woody with the game winning TD. Fans start reminding themselves of the Toledo game with Bret Meyer. We get a big stop on a 4th and 5.

@Iowa-- 27-13 L. Iowa proves to be too good.

Western Illinois--W 33-13 We have a 3 point lead at halftime, but then come out after a CPR speech and smoke them.

Texas Tech--24-23 W. Tech misses a PAT, which fan start thinking the kicking jinx is over.

@TCU--13-37 L. The usual game where they won't come out ready. We get stomped from the get-go.

Kansas St. 20-27 L. Bad matchup for us. The long streak continues.

@Okie St. 10-49 L. They will be out for blood. Literally.

Baylor 35-21 W. Our big win of the year. Baylor will come into the game ranked. CF starts with the thread "Will we go bowling?" thread.

Oklahoma 16-21 L. Trap game for the sooners. We lead at half and at the fourth quarter they kick into another gear.

@Texas 14-24 L. Texas will be a 7 win team but gets off to a 14-0 lead very early and we never recover.

@Kansas 41-38 W in 2 OT. Kansas will prove a feisty opponent with nothing to lose while ISU is playing for their bowl lives. We get a stop on 3rd and 1 and a Barnett to West TD wins the game.

West Virginia L--0-31. Eerily similar to the Mizzou games a couple years ago. We come out very tight and WVU marches up and down the field.

I got us at 5-7 (3-6) in the Big 12...Pretty accurate to what the experts think. The Kansas game scares me for some reason and if we don't win against Baylor or K State, we will find it hard to sneak into a bowl.

Final Predictions

Oklahoma
    WVU
    TCU
    Texas
    Kansas St.
    Oklahoma St.
    Baylor

Iowa St.
    Texas Tech
    Kansas

bold go to bowl games.
    As extreme as it appears, that looks extreme-realistic — Rhoads Bi-Polarism.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I see five wins. Tulsa and W. Illinois in the non-conference, Texas Tech, one of Baylor/Kansas, and one game you shouldn't win (Kansas St, W. Virginia, etc). With that schedule you will be lucky to make a bowl game.