Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 0

Using phone as WiFi Hot Spot

Anybody do this? Just a quick question, I was wondering if anybody used this as their primary internet and how the speed was. I don't really care other than I just started streaming stuff over the internet again and now I don't want to stop watching the shows.

Also, a little birdie told me that you can unlock the wifi hotspot on your phone without buying that feature. Seems like a pretty good deal with unlimited data from Sprint for me. Just a thought.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Re: Using phone as WiFi Hot Spot

Ive used it before. Not as fast as regular internet but itll get you by for simple browsing.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 0

Foxfi works well for me. I guess it only works over bluetooth on HTC phones but Samsung and maybe others will work with wifi hotspot. Verizon just got their hand slapped by the FCC for retricting apps and charging for hotspot while using spectrum that says you can't. That means foxfi is now available on the play store.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 166

I've been using my HTC Merge on the US Cellular 5GB/month plan. Surfing normal webpages (Facebook/CF/etc) while avoiding videos does not drain the total at all for me. I can only get in about 4 "Walking Dead" episodes before I hit 2.5GB, so videos can kinda drain the monthly limit.

But (since you have an unlimited plan and don't care about the above paragraph), I've been able to stream from Netflix without any hiccups whatsoever... and that's on a 3G connection w/ full bars. Obviously, the worse the coverage, the worse your speed will be. I've found it to be quite capable though.

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I bleed cardinal and urinate gold.

Hugs4ISU

A free alternative is a utility called "Quick Settings" in the Market. Install it, go into the settings, and near the bottom there is a 'hidden' setting called "Wi-Fi HotSpot". Drag it to the top, and then you can turn it on and off. Works on a lot of phones.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 319

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Anybody do this? Just a quick question, I was wondering if anybody used this as their primary internet and how the speed was. I don't really care other than I just started streaming stuff over the internet again and now I don't want to stop watching the shows.

Also, a little birdie told me that you can unlock the wifi hotspot on your phone without buying that feature. Seems like a pretty good deal with unlimited data from Sprint for me. Just a thought.

I'm in India and it is a great way to go here. You can get decent internet speed anywhere you can get a cell phone signal. A few months ago, I was able to post on CF much of the time while taking an overnight train (16 hours) from Calcutta to Allahabad!