Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Frederiksen Court additions

The residence department will seek permission to begin planning an estimated $24.3 million expansion to its Frederiksen Court student apartments on the north side of campus when the state Board of Regents meets Friday in Cedar Falls.
    Link: Residence department hopes to expand Frederiksen Court - Inside Iowa State for faculty and staff - Iowa State University

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 414
    Given: 340

Re: Frederiksen Court additions

Its definitely needed thats for sure.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

A schematic design for the remodeling of the MacKay Hall auditorium. The room currently seats up to 370 students on two levels; the renovation would convert the room to a contemporary, interactive classroom with seats for 215 students while respecting the room's historical character. The $3.2 million cost, approved by the board in March, would be covered with university and College of Human Sciences funds. If approved, work would begin after fall semester.
    That's gonna hurt when you're already short for auditorium space. I don't believe many general science classes are in there and Troxel is going to be full of those so where do the classes in there now go?

But there's no reason not to expand Freddy if they can. They're full more often than not and people are willing to pay for them. I wonder if they own land adjacent to Freddy as there isn't a ton of space right now for expansion unless they convert parking lots??

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    That's gonna hurt when you're already short for auditorium space. I don't believe many general science classes are in there and Troxel is going to be full of those so where do the classes in there now go?

But there's no reason not to expand Freddy if they can. They're full more often than not and people are willing to pay for them. I wonder if they own land adjacent to Freddy as there isn't a ton of space right now for expansion unless they convert parking lots??
    I read today that they expect 400 students to be living in temporary dens in residence halls when classes start, so yes there is definitely a need. I was wondering about where the space will come from to build them as well, the article stated they are planning on building seven more apartment buildings. Can't imagine there being that much room on the existing space.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    I read today that they expect 400 students to be living in temporary dens in residence halls when classes start, so yes there is definitely a need. I was wondering about where the space will come from to build them as well, the article stated they are planning on building seven more apartment buildings. Can't imagine there being that much room on the existing space.
    They could do it on existing space if they wanted to. Put a north of the 10s going towards 13th. Couple more where the pastures used to be northwest of the tunnel south of the 40s. 1 could go east of the 30s and north of the 50s??

Now if they own the grazing land east of Haber there's all kinds of flood plane space.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 37

What if they expanded to the area east side of Haber road or is that a floodplain?

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

I'd be ok with them moving the horses. They smell terrible after any sort of precipitation.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Anybody know how it works if a student is forced to live in a den? Do they get some sort of break on their room and board? You may get more space if you are in a den rather an actual dorm room but you have a curtain for a door.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    I'd be ok with them moving the horses. They smell terrible after any sort of precipitation.
    They're perfect for an area directly next to railroad tracks that no one would want to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Anybody know how it works if a student is forced to live in a den? Do they get some sort of break on their room and board? You may get more space if you are in a den rather an actual dorm room but you have a curtain for a door.
    A lot of them are redone to have doors now. It's a 4 person dorm room cluster****.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When I was in temp housing in Helser, we paid the lowest possible rate. I would imagine it would be the same until they can move you out. I am sure that the people in the dens are the first people to be moved out.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    When I was in temp housing in Helser, we paid the lowest possible rate. I would imagine it would be the same until they can move you out. I am sure that the people in the dens are the first people to be moved out.
    Figuring in how many kids drop out right away, I bet the people that have to live in the dens don't have to live in there even the entire first semester.

I just remembered that my parents told me that when they went to ISU, students lived in the hallway that wraps around hilton. That is insane.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Figuring in how many kids drop out right away, I bet the people that have to live in the dens don't have to live in there even the entire first semester.

I just remembered that my parents told me that when they went to ISU, students lived in the hallway that wraps around hilton. That is insane.
    I bet those kids are the first to move out too. We were told we had to wait a couple of weeks because at that point they knew which rooms were going to be empty, but we were given a number based on when we applied for housing.

Prospect
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    They could do it on existing space if they wanted to. Put a north of the 10s going towards 13th. Couple more where the pastures used to be northwest of the tunnel south of the 40s. 1 could go east of the 30s and north of the 50s??

Now if they own the grazing land east of Haber there's all kinds of flood plane space.
    They are going to knock out the parking lots inside the individual clusters and move the lots across 13th St. onto the vacant lot there that the university owns. They also will put some buildings in the horse pastures.

Prospect
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

They get a reduced rate based on the dorm they are in. You get a ton more space than a regular room. You have a real door, not a curtain. They will get first priority to choose a regular room on campus during the first week of classes. The DOR expects students to be in interim housing for at least the first semester.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goisu1 View Post
    They are going to knock out the parking lots inside the individual clusters and move the lots across 13th St. onto the vacant lot there that the university owns. They also will put some buildings in the horse pastures.
    That's a brutal idea if true. Those buildings will be unbearable when trains go by. Living in 41 sucked enough when trains went by.

And making parking a pain in the *** is going to be great up until the first lawsuit because some idiot gets hit by a car crossing 13th. I'm sure residents will just love the thought of a 10 minute walk just to get to their car too. Like being a freshman all over again.

Last edited by IcSyU; 08-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.