Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,979, Level: 26
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    255
    Points
    7,979
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Fishing and Cooking

    Plan on catching some nice walleye and northern pike next week in Minnesota. I've always done the fishing and let someone else do the cleaning/cooking. Well now I want to learn to do it all.

    Can someone provide some simple instructions on the cleaning/preparing process for those fish? How about any good recipes to cook the fish? Thanks in advance!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 77,373, Level: 86
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,112
    Points
    77,373
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 14

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    Plan on catching some nice walleye and northern pike next week in Minnesota. I've always done the fishing and let someone else do the cleaning/cooking. Well now I want to learn to do it all.

    Can someone provide some simple instructions on the cleaning/preparing process for those fish? How about any good recipes to cook the fish? Thanks in advance!

    how to fillet walleye - Yahoo! Video Search


    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 37,181, Level: 59
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    farminclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    37,181
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 4

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Cut fish. Deep-fry fish. Repeat. All Week long.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 84,428, Level: 90
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,104
    Points
    84,428
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    Cut fish. Deep-fry fish. Repeat. All Week long.
    What he said! I love walleye. Learn how to filet them, dip in egg and your favorite batter, then fry away!

    Maybe you could find a good baked or grilled recipe, but it's hard to get sick of fried walleye after only a week! Add a good coleslaw and fried taters & onions, and you have a feast.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 404,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,506
    Points
    404,076
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 192

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    We used to fry up Walleye all the time for shore lunch in Canada, and it was awesome. We would fry them in a nice batter and then put them into sandwiches. A couple of pieces of bread and whatever toppings makes for some great Walleye sammiches.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 27,272, Level: 50
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    josh4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,057
    Points
    27,272
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Walleye are delicious. I love crappie too. Almost like a fishy potato chip



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    What he said! I love walleye. Learn how to filet them, dip in egg and your favorite batter, then fry away!

    Maybe you could find a good baked or grilled recipe, but it's hard to get sick of fried walleye after only a week! Add a good coleslaw and fried taters & onions, and you have a feast.

    ...do not enter Canada if you are banned for life without a cannon or rocket launcher which are still legal... and have a cold "Grain Belt"



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 260,858, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    260,858
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by Maplewurst View Post
    ...do not enter Canada if you are banned for life without a cannon or rocket launcher which are still legal... and have a cold "Grain Belt"
    Heroin and banned from Canada? You are one weird dude.


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 32,234, Level: 55
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    fatkid1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,171
    Points
    32,234
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 8

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    You probably won't be cleaning the Northern yourself, it takes a pretty seasoned fisherman to be able to cut out the 'Y' bone and not destroy the fillet. Find a tackle shop and hire the cleaning of the pike, the meat is tasty, but it's a tricky to get the fish cleaned.


    That rug really tied the room together, did it not dude?

    Follow me unplugged on twitter @fatkid1974

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 78,195, Level: 86
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    GrindingAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,870
    Points
    78,195
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 10

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by fatkid1974 View Post
    You probably won't be cleaning the Northern yourself, it takes a pretty seasoned fisherman to be able to cut out the 'Y' bone and not destroy the fillet. Find a tackle shop and hire the cleaning of the pike, the meat is tasty, but it's a tricky to get the fish cleaned.
    It's not that tough. Although IMO just leave them in it's super easy to just break the fillet in half and pull them out after they are fried.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 24,105, Level: 47
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shawn_200m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tipton, IA
    Posts
    681
    Points
    24,105
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by fatkid1974 View Post
    You probably won't be cleaning the Northern yourself, it takes a pretty seasoned fisherman to be able to cut out the 'Y' bone and not destroy the fillet. Find a tackle shop and hire the cleaning of the pike, the meat is tasty, but it's a tricky to get the fish cleaned.
    Y-boning a pike is not nearly as difficult as people seem to think...get a sharp knife and just run it at an angle along the Y-bones and the meat just peels right off. Just look on YouTube, there are several step by step videos. Pike are delicious and relatively easy to clean.



  12. #12
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,753, Level: 35
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Torks Pub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    341
    Points
    13,753
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Check out the numerous videos on Youtube on how to remove the Y bones. As others have posted, it's easy once you get the hang of it and, IMO the meat of Pike is much better than walleye. It's more firm and has a slight nutty flavor to it.

    In addition to frying (use crackermeal with a bit of flour, and sesame seeds for a flavor twist), both walleye and pike are great poached. Then drizzle with REAL butter and lemon. You can also grill either, but do so on a pan of foil to keep the meat together and from sticking to the grill. Most camp grills aren't in the greatest shape. Try coating the fillets in melted butter or margarine, then drag the fillets through a pan of half flour, half Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 until done. Thank me later. Another favorite of ours is to put the filllets on foil and cover with sliced almonds that have been sauteed in real butter. Spread three cheese salad dressing over the almonds, then cook on a grill until done.

    Lastly, I know many like a beer batter or the like. I think it masks the meat too much and wouldn't recommend using a batter for frying.

    Good luck. I'm off to Ontario this weekend. Going to catch a few lake trout in addition to pike and walleye.


    "When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
    Groucho Marx

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 17,210, Level: 39
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    530
    Points
    17,210
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    I never buy the store fish batter. I just crush up saltines. First dip them in egg, then the saltines. Fry them. Sprinkle lemon pepper on them. Best fish ever.


    "Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 106,908, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,444
    Points
    106,908
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 136

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    cajun Shore lunch is the best batter for walleye


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 39,539, Level: 61
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    2ndCyCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    719
    Points
    39,539
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Fishing and Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by Torks Pub View Post
    Check out the numerous videos on Youtube on how to remove the Y bones. As others have posted, it's easy once you get the hang of it and, IMO the meat of Pike is much better than walleye. It's more firm and has a slight nutty flavor to it.

    In addition to frying (use crackermeal with a bit of flour, and sesame seeds for a flavor twist), both walleye and pike are great poached. Then drizzle with REAL butter and lemon. You can also grill either, but do so on a pan of foil to keep the meat together and from sticking to the grill. Most camp grills aren't in the greatest shape. Try coating the fillets in melted butter or margarine, then drag the fillets through a pan of half flour, half Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 until done. Thank me later. Another favorite of ours is to put the filllets on foil and cover with sliced almonds that have been sauteed in real butter. Spread three cheese salad dressing over the almonds, then cook on a grill until done.

    Lastly, I know many like a beer batter or the like. I think it masks the meat too much and wouldn't recommend using a batter for frying.

    Good luck. I'm off to Ontario this weekend. Going to catch a few lake trout in addition to pike and walleye.
    Rep for this. Might as well just fry chicken if you are going to do this. Don't kill the flavor (and health benefits, if that is your thing) of fish by frying it.

    I like to use worcestire (sp?) sauce, a small amount of butter, lemon juice, dill, and salt/pepper. Fish poach up nicely in a few minutes. Very tasty!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM