Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

  2. #2
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    305
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Why not link the study itself and let folks decide for themselves what it reports rather than what a conservative dominated news source opines? There is more to the PEJ report than the selected slant IBD presents.

    Link: The Media Sectors | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

    Table of Contents for 11 subject areas is on the right.


    Last edited by Johnny Tremain; 11-03-2007 at 08:58 PM.

  3. #3
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Tremain View Post
    Why not link the study itself and left folks decide for themselves what it reports rather than what a conservative dominated news source opines? There is more to the PEJ report than the selected slant IBD presents.

    Link: The Media Sectors | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

    Table of Contents for 11 subject areas is on the right.
    Because "the source" is boring?

    You asked....


    A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.


    A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Tremain View Post
    Why not link the study itself and left folks decide for themselves what it reports rather than what a conservative dominated news source opines? There is more to the PEJ report than the selected slant IBD presents.

    Link: The Media Sectors | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

    Table of Contents for 11 subject areas is on the right.
    Well, mainly because it wasn't in the first page of my google search, but if it annoyed you, that's a bonus.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Bias is inevitable, so it up to the consumer to adjust for that bias. For the print media, the editorial slant is almost always obvious from the headline, so a reasonable reader can make the appropriate mental adjustments before starting to read the article itself.

    To me the most noteworthy numbers in this study were probably those for the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer:

    Positive Neutral Negative
    Democrats 8.3 66.7 25
    Republicans 0 77.8 22.2

    This degree of neutrality is hard to achieve a TV news program. Furthermore, when they do reveal an editorial bias it is most often critical (negative), representing more hard-hitting journalism, rather than providing free advertising (positive).



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    While I do think there is a liberal slant to the media, I am wondering how much of the study was affected by President Bush. He is a one man, walking negative story at times.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Assuming that media bias does exist, what are your theories for it's existance?

    I have linked an academic paper which concludes that media bias does not arise from reporters' desire to promote their own beliefs or from politicians' ability to manipulate the mass media.

    Rather media bias exists because the larger media organizations are attempting to preserve their reputation. To do so they promote widely accepted public cliches.

    Matthew Gentzkow and Jesse M. Shapiro explain: "Suppose, for example, that a newspaper reports that scientists have successfully produced cold fusion. If a consumer believes this to be highly unlikely a priori, she will rationally infer that the paper probably has poor information or exercised poor judgment in interpreting available evidence. A media firm concerned about its reputation for accuracy will therefore be reluctant to report evidence at odds with the consumer's prior beliefs."

    So in the case of the presidential election, the larger media organizations are catering to their readership. They are giving more attention to the Democrats because the public readership has a greater amount of interest in the Democrats. Furthermore, they view Democrats more favorably because their readership views Democrats more favorably.

    http://home.uchicago.edu/~jmshapir/bias091305.pdf



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Assuming that media bias does exist, what are your theories for it's existance?

    I have linked an academic paper which concludes that media bias does not arise from reporters' desire to promote their own beliefs or from politicians' ability to manipulate the mass media.

    Rather media bias exists because the larger media organizations are attempting to preserve their reputation. To do so they promote widely accepted public cliches.

    Matthew Gentzkow and Jesse M. Shapiro explain: "Suppose, for example, that a newspaper reports that scientists have successfully produced cold fusion. If a consumer believes this to be highly unlikely a priori, she will rationally infer that the paper probably has poor information or exercised poor judgment in interpreting available evidence. A media firm concerned about its reputation for accuracy will therefore be reluctant to report evidence at odds with the consumer's prior beliefs."

    So in the case of the presidential election, the larger media organizations are catering to their readership. They are giving more attention to the Democrats because the public readership has a greater amount of interest in the Democrats. Furthermore, they view Democrats more favorably because their readership views Democrats more favorably.

    http://home.uchicago.edu/~jmshapir/bias091305.pdf
    I don't really buy that. I think that people with liberal philosophies are more likely to be drawn towards journalism, acting and teaching. If what you say is true, how is it possible that Bush won the last election? He was being bashed constantly in the media, and they had all but declared a democratic victory in that election. Noone in America was more shocked that Bush won than the mainstream media.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Cool, we can now cite papers with theorems and proofs. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Assuming that media bias does exist, what are your theories for it's existance?

    I have linked an academic paper which concludes that media bias does not arise from reporters' desire to promote their own beliefs or from politicians' ability to manipulate the mass media.
    I think you somewhat overstate the conclusion of the paper. They present their model as an additional explanation, not as a replacement for all other possible explanations.

    Getting back to your question, I believe the causes of bias are numerous and complex. They include, but are not limited to: reporters own beliefs, reporters' desire to promote their beliefs (not the same as the first point), manipulation by politicians, desire by reporters to be successful/highly regarded, desire by the news organizations to be successful/highly regarded, etc.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I don't really buy that. I think that people with liberal philosophies are more likely to be drawn towards journalism, acting and teaching. If what you say is true, how is it possible that Bush won the last election? He was being bashed constantly in the media, and they had all but declared a democratic victory in that election. Noone in America was more shocked that Bush won than the mainstream media.
    Why would the media owners allow the liberal leanings of their reporters to be indulged at the expense of the organization's integrity and profit? Wouldn't a less biased and therefore higher quality reporting translate into greater readership and profitablity? Who is running the show anyway, the reporters or the media owner? Or do the media owners share the reporters bias?



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Why would the media owners allow the liberal leanings of their reporters to be indulged at the expense of the organization's integrity and profit? Wouldn't a less biased and therefore higher quality reporting translate into greater readership and profitablity? Who is running the show anyway, the reporters or the media owner? Or do the media owners share the reporters bias?
    Ummmmmm......Ted Turner.



  12. #12
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Why would the media owners allow the liberal leanings of their reporters to be indulged at the expense of the organization's integrity and profit? Wouldn't a less biased and therefore higher quality reporting translate into greater readership and profitablity? Who is running the show anyway, the reporters or the media owner? Or do the media owners share the reporters bias?
    It's not just reporters and news media; Hollywood ROUTINELY produces movies that lose huge amounts of money, just because it pushes an agenda. Conservative-themed movies almost always do better than Liberal-themed movies, financially, but Hollywood most often produces Liberal-themed movies, or Conservative-unacceptable movies.

    There are several good studies that show that movies pandering to conservatives, and especially Christian Conservatives pays off better than pandering to Liberals, or being "neutral". Using your same argument, why doesn't Hollywood trip over itself to make Christian Conservative movies?


    Last edited by herbiedoobie; 11-03-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.


    A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I don't really buy that. I think that people with liberal philosophies are more likely to be drawn towards journalism, acting and teaching. If what you say is true, how is it possible that Bush won the last election? He was being bashed constantly in the media, and they had all but declared a democratic victory in that election. Noone in America was more shocked that Bush won than the mainstream media.
    Fair and Accuracy in the Media (FAIR) has researched the claim that journalists tend to have liberal philosophies.

    The conclusions:

    On select issues from corporate power and trade to Social Security and Medicare to health care and taxes, journalists are actually more conservative than the general public.

    Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation.

    The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

    Journalists report that "business-oriented news outlets" and "major daily newspapers" provide the highest quality coverage of economic policy issues, while "broadcast network TV news" and "cable news services" provide the worst.

    I'm have no idea whether the research of FAIR is considered to have a right or left slant.

    Link:
    Examining the "Liberal Media" Claim



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post

    I'm have no idea whether the research of FAIR is considered to have a right or left slant.

    Link:
    Examining the "Liberal Media" Claim
    I have a feeling Johnny might tell you.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Harvard media bias study

    They may have an agenda to promote:

    Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR) is a group that criticizes the fairness and accuracy of the news media from a left-leaning standpoint. It produces press releases and reports that document and criticize conservative media bias and censorship.
    FAIR was founded in 1986. In some respects, it provides a counterbalance to Accuracy in Media, an older, right-leaning media watch group.

    Link:
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fairness_%26_Accuracy_In_Reporting


    Last edited by alaskaguy; 11-03-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM