Chuck Harmison, Gesell, Greg Stokes, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 187

Chuck Harmison, Gesell, Greg Stokes, etc.

Got to spend some time last night with some high school buddies, including Chuck Harmison. We watched the championship game of the Iowa City Summer League. Saw former Iowa player Greg Stokes on the sidelines, still looking pretty fit. Some observations:

Gesell: excellent shooter with good range, good court awareness to make the right pass, well-built for a freshman. Had a very quick PG guarding him last night who gave him problems. Gesell was not able to penetrate on the guy, nor did he get good shots off against him. He did much better on both accounts when guarded by two other players. Led the league with over 8 assists/gm. I think we will have the advantage with Lucious.

Basabe: very athletic/long. Some good post moves but no handle. Need to put a body on him or he will eat up offensive rebounds.

Aaron White: tall, good shot/handle, fairly quick. Lost his intensity in the second half. Leading scorer/rebounder of the league.

Chuck Harmison: still very tall and looking fit. Golfs a lot when not on his duties as GM of the Aussie NBA. Loves Australia and only returns to Iowa to visit family on a yearly basis. Working on learning surfing. Unsure of Royce White's future in the NBA due to unique skill set, but hasn't seen him play.

Overall, I think we have more talent than Iowa this year and should win a game which is likely to be close due to their home court advantage. Nothing Earth shattering last night.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,103
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 209

Re: Chuck Harmison, Gesell, Greg Stokes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post

Chuck Harmison: still very tall and looking fit. Golfs a lot when not on his duties as GM of the Aussie NBA. Loves Australia and only returns to Iowa to visit family on a yearly basis. Working on learning surfing. Unsure of Royce White's future in the NBA due to unique skill set, but hasn't seen him play.
    Thank for the update, especially about Harmison. For those who were not around in the mid-70's, before Fred, before Harrison Barnes, there was another Ames High stud - Chuck Harmison, who stayed to play for home team and recruited by Lynn Nance (correct?). Had a good Big 8 career playing forward/center. Glad he's doing well Down Under.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Rookie
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

Got to spend some time last night with some high school buddies, including Chuck Harmison. We watched the championship game of the Iowa City Summer League. Saw former Iowa player Greg Stokes on the sidelines, still looking pretty fit. Some observations:

Gesell: excellent shooter with good range, good court awareness to make the right pass, well-built for a freshman. Had a very quick PG guarding him last night who gave him problems. Gesell was not able to penetrate on the guy, nor did he get good shots off against him. He did much better on both accounts when guarded by two other players. Led the league with over 8 assists/gm. I think we will have the advantage with Lucious.

Basabe: very athletic/long. Some good post moves but no handle. Need to put a body on him or he will eat up offensive rebounds.

Aaron White: tall, good shot/handle, fairly quick. Lost his intensity in the second half. Leading scorer/rebounder of the league.

Overall, I think we have more talent than Iowa this year and should win a game which is likely to be close due to their home court advantage. Nothing Earth shattering last night.

I saw the game on local TV. The other guard was actually stealing the show. Not sure of the name but he plays for Iowa and looked quick. Played well that night.

Gesell made some nice plays, but I thought he looked out of control at times. He also forced some shots. I think he may struggle against a quick point guard who plays defense. Eventually, if he can shoot, I think he will be a good player for Iowa. He will definitely give great effort.

White grabbed some trash baskets like he did last season. tip backs etc.

Basabe looks like he gained some bad weight to me. He looked a little pudgy.

I saw about what I expected to see. They will improve a little, but I'm not sure where Iowa's points are going to come from when they NEED a basket. White is a trash guy and basabe is not consistent enough. They lost their go to guy from last season.

It will be interesting.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

I have heard Woodbury is not that good. Also heard Gessell is better than expected.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The player that was guarding Gesell was Anthony Clemmons, an incoming PG from Michigan. I believe he scored 30 points that night, but he was recruited more for his defensive abilities. As others have alluded to, he is exceptionally quick and is a hellacious on-ball defender. If he can develop a nice offensive game he will become the steal of the 2012 class for Iowa.

Rookie
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by wsrgohawks View Post
    The player that was guarding Gesell was Anthony Clemmons, an incoming PG from Michigan. I believe he scored 30 points that night, but he was recruited more for his defensive abilities. As others have alluded to, he is exceptionally quick and is a hellacious on-ball defender. If he can develop a nice offensive game he will become the steal of the 2012 class for Iowa.
    He looked really good that night. I didn't realize he is just going to be a freshman. He and Gesell could be a nice one/two punch for the Hawks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Iowa expectations need to be tempered. I don't think they are an NCAA team and no one should expect that. NIT again? Yes. But they have another year or two to go till they are NCAA bound.

Also...The Big 10 is going to be loaded next year.

Last edited by Clones21; 07-27-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 93

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I have heard Woodbury is not that good. Also heard Gessell is better than expected.
    this ^^^ was my opinion.

I've only seen one HS all star game that they both played in so my opinion is completely from that game obviously it is not a lot to go on...

Woodbury appeared rather slow, uncoordinated and skinny, to be expected for a 17 year old 7 footer. He maybe another Withey type, talks a couple of years to develop before he is a real threat.
    Gissell looked quick and took control of the team, though his shot looked flat and he had a number of turnovers. Seemed streaky, he'd have 3 good minutes then 3 bad. He'll contribute and I guess start this year for Iowa but there'll be growing pains.
    (Side note, the most impressive player at the game was easily Dekker, going to Wisky, complete game.)

I fully expect us to beat Iowa again next year, they are improving talent wise but Lucious should be better than Gissell and I'd be suprised in Woodbury even gets a bunch of minutes, especially if we start to run. If not, Percy will be able to post him up and get him into foul trouble.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    White is a trash guy
    I think we have a nickname brewing here.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Chuck is still very tall? Go figure. :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 21

Chuck was our paperboy at our first apartment in Ames before he made his basketball name at Ames High. I think he was in junior high or maybe a freshman at the time. I just remember how tall he was even then.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,188
    Given: 1,041

Re:Chuck Harmison, Gesell, Greg Stokes, etc.

The only real question is which one of them gets Babbed?

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493

Yeah, I think....

Lucious > Gesell
    Clyburn > White

And after that... it's at best a wash for Iowa, but probably still an edge to ISU with guys like Ejim, Babb, McGee, Booker, Gibson, etc.

I like our chances to win again this year. If it were in Ames, I think it would be no contest, but it will be tougher in IC.

Rookie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Chuck is still very tall? Go figure. :)
    Yes, I saw him too, he hasn't lost an inch!

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

I think Iowa will be much improved this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the big dance. The ISU-Iowa series will once again become a tough battle between two good teams in the years to come.