Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 333

Boat accessory help

I got a boat this weekend from my cousin. 1980 15' outboard runabout with a 40 HP Mercury. Stuck it in the water yesterday and enjoyed a couple hours on Saylorville.

It has a deep cycle battery for the trolling motor and a marine battery for starting the Mercury. What I'm wondering is what to buy to charge them, and where to buy them? I'm looking at the onboard ones so that I can plug it in while I'm home, but if I'm fishing/trolling all day and need to charge the battery up, it's taken care of.

Any recommendations or what to stay away from? Any other advice for a new boat owner?

Prospect
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Boat accessory help

Motors that small usually don't have an alternator to charge the cranking battery. The trolling battery will need to be charged. I have a 3 bank Minn Kota on-board charger for my three batteries, 2 trolling and the starter. Minn Kota is the leader of the pack when it comes to on-board chargers and they will cost more than the others too. Cabelas, Bass Pro carry their own "brand" of chargers and some people say those work just fine also. Like most things it personal preference. If you're using your boat a lot and working your batteries hard I would spend the money and get Minn Kota otherwise the other chargers might serve your better. Another thing to look at is the amps/channel. They start at 5 and go up to 15 amps. More amps = faster charging time. Tournament guys will have the 15 amps for quick turnaround. I have 10 amps/channel on mine and after a hard days fishing my batteries will be charged overnight. Basically it all comes down to how much you want to spend. This is a link to Cabela's page for on-board chargers: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-All+Products Here is a link for Minn Kota: http://store.minnkotamotors.com/cate...board_chargers

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RobertsFranklin; 07-23-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Add text

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 123

Re: Boat accessory help

Congratulations on getting your boat! They are a lot of fun if you are willing to do the necessary work and maintenance to keep them in good working order.

I do not know a lot about small outboard motors. Some outboards will charge their battery and others will not. Some outboards will not run with a weak/dead battery. I have towed a couple guys, with outboards, off of the Missouri river because of dead batteries. The battery drained while the motor was running and died on them.

Suggest you go talk to one of the of the more reputable dealers with a good service department and ask them about how your setup works. The ones who help you now will be the ones you go too when you have problems down the road.

Some people keep a spare battery with them in case their battery goes dead while out fishing. Others just keep a battery booster with them to jump start the battery if dead. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy!

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 333

Re:Boat accessory help

Good advice guys. My eight year-old and I just took it out tonight for a run out on big creek. I think we'll get some good use out of this. I think I would like to get one of those onboard chargers.