SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

Pre Two a Days Cornerbacks

Cornerbacks
    Knowns
    Jeremy Reeves is an undersized, but still solid senior. Jansen Watson has been a speedy special teams star. JC transfer Clifford Stokes “has an eye for the ball”. Matt Thomas is short but has good speed. Ken Lynn is extremely athletic. Sam Richardson looks like a deluxe version of Reeves.

Questions
    With the extra reps, can Watson turn all of that speed into coverage skills? Just how soon do these guys gel into a solid unit? Note that a strong pass rush would help the process a great deal.

Mystery Meat
    Lynn and Richardson’s speed and athleticism are intriguing, but this slot falls to the two freshmen, Damein Lawry and Charlie Rogers. Is the one a burner—and is the other truly a corner?

tentative grade:7.5-8.5
    *You can’t teach height—but there is more athleticism at this position than in a very long time.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

Re: Pre Two a Days Cornerbacks

This spot concerns me. We will see a couple of pass heavy offenses early on (Tulsa, Iowa). Outside of Reeves, this group doesn't have much in game CB experience. The athletes are definitely there, and they may take their lumps early but i think given the time, they can hold their own.

Like stated, with Defensive-Line pressure, it could make these guys jobs a whole lot easier.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackWePack5 View Post
    This spot concerns me. We will see a couple of pass heavy offenses early on (Tulsa, Iowa). Outside of Reeves, this group doesn't have much in game CB experience. The athletes are definitely there, and they may take their lumps early but i think given the time, they can hold their own.

Like stated, with Defensive-Line pressure, it could make these guys jobs a whole lot easier.
    in terms of "pass heavy" offenses, i would be more worried about nearly any big 12 opponent before i would even think of iowa. i haven't looked at the stats but weren't they a balanced, but run first team?

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    in terms of "pass heavy" offenses, i would be more worried about nearly any big 12 opponent before i would even think of iowa. i haven't looked at the stats but weren't they a balanced, but run first team?
    Under Ken O'Keefe, they definitely were. Use the run to set up the pass, then hit a few big plays with play-action pass.

Under Greg Davis, who knows? At UNC and the early days of UT, Davis used a pretty balanced attack. He may have been spoiled with Vince Young and Colt McCoy, because Texas SUCKED at running the ball the last few years he was there. No idea what he has planned for Iowa.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Walk On
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

I played 3 holes with new DB coach Troy Douglas at the Gridiron tourney at Albaughs course in Ankeny. He said Ken Lynn really doesn't like Ames and would rather be back in Texas, and may not even like playing football at this point in his life. Said he's very talented if he could just take the pessimistic attitude down a bit. Said Matt Thomas needs to make more plays on the ball, but is solid. He does like Reeves and Watson. Said Charles Rogers is going to be VERY good.

Last edited by SamsB; 07-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.