How dry/hot is it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 22,591, Level: 46
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    1,018
    Points
    22,591
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

    How dry/hot is it?

    I am kinda old and been around since 1959. I like stories of stuff you have never seen before because it is so dry or hot. My cucumbers gave some mature fruit last Friday thru Monday because of the cooler temps. I put a mister an 3 of my tomato plants today to experiment to see if the cooler temp will make them ripen, I have heard warm overnight temps don't allow for quick ripening of tomatoes, and it doesnt permit "cukes" to set fruit. The West Nishnabotna has been lower than it is now, but I went golfing the other day and my buddy bounced one off the side of an elevated green. We looked for his O.B. ball , I pulled the waisted high grass with my putter and the grass was dead 3/4 of the way up the plant. A little spark would set the whole creek bottom and ditch on fire. I have been told the 5,000 dairy by Kirkman Iowa will be chopping corn by the 5th of August, I can't confirm that rumor though.


    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 23,643, Level: 47
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 907
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cychhosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. Iowa
    Posts
    1,245
    Points
    23,643
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 105

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    This week, I dropped a log chain down in a crack, I went to the house to get another one. When I came back, I could still hear the first one rattling as it fell.


    All truisms are false. All of them.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 22,591, Level: 46
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    1,018
    Points
    22,591
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    This week, I dropped a log chain down in a crack, I went to the house to get another one. When I came back, I could still hear the first one rattling as it fell.
    When I was 7-8 years old my Dad told me to go down to the crib and get the log chain, I said do you want me to drag it all the way up here, my late father said " it will be a lot easier than pushing it."


    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 10,992, Level: 31
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clonedogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CR, IA
    Posts
    820
    Points
    10,992
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 34

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    How hot is it? So hot that I drink Tabasco sauce to cool off. ba-dum.

    Lame, I know but this is what I thought u were looking for till I opened the thread.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 143,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isulive2train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ciclón Nación
    Posts
    4,580
    Points
    143,274
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 340

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    cooking eggs and grilled cheese on my car hood now!



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 185,105, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    11,347
    Points
    185,105
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 320

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    I walked outside today and the sun punched me in the face. We are not friends anymore.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 424,051, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,800
    Points
    424,051
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 420

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Given that it hit 104 today, it is the hottest it has been in des moines in my lifetime.

    Iowa Environmental Mesonet



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    The USDA has opened up CRP acres for hay and grazing: USDA opens CRP acres for emergency drought relief - Iowa Farmer Today: Crop - USDA opens CRP acres for emergency drought relief: Crop You know that is not a good sign when that happens.


    Go Cubs Go!

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Second lowest amount of subsoil moisture recorded since 1895(first place). Which pretty much blows away the 1934-1936 "Dust Bowl".

    Thermometer melted 4 weeks ago....so WAG on the heat part is "hotter than the 8th lower level of hell"...



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    The USDA has opened up CRP acres for hay and grazing: USDA opens CRP acres for emergency drought relief - Iowa Farmer Today: Crop - USDA opens CRP acres for emergency drought relief: Crop You know that is not a good sign when that happens.

    ... especially when the punuishment if you did that on your own without government permission is worse than manslaughter and operating 100 crystal meth labs.
    ==================================================
    The U.S.D.A report is that Iowa's pasture, hay crop is 75% poor. And if you raise cattle you are 100% poor.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maplewurst View Post
    ... especially when the punuishment if you did that on your own without government permission is worse than manslaughter and operating 100 crystal meth labs.
    ==================================================
    The U.S.D.A report is that Iowa's pasture, hay crop is 75% poor. And if you raise cattle you are 100% poor.

    My parents had to move their cattle from their summer pasture back up to the pasture and lots near the house for the first time in 32 years there as the creeks were drying up so had to get them somewhere with good water even if it means sacraficing acres we save to graze in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if we buy some CRP bales although the quality of them usually is not very good since CRP ground is rarely mowed so a lot of weeds, dead wild grasses, etc. but when feed costs are going to be high this winter and most people short on hay you take what you can get. We got 1 cutting off our main hay field then no till planted some beans in early June and they look terrible right now without rain. Worried we may have to mow and bale them up too as they may not do enough to even be worth combining.


    Go Cubs Go!

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 50,361, Level: 69
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    cdnlngld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,087
    Points
    50,361
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 152

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Squaw creek at 13th and stange is dried up... the skunk is not far behind.



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    My parents had to move their cattle from their summer pasture back up to the pasture and lots near the house for the first time in 32 years there as the creeks were drying up so had to get them somewhere with good water even if it means sacraficing acres we save to graze in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if we buy some CRP bales although the quality of them usually is not very good since CRP ground is rarely mowed so a lot of weeds, dead wild grasses, etc. but when feed costs are going to be high this winter and most people short on hay you take what you can get. We got 1 cutting off our main hay field then no till planted some beans in early June and they look terrible right now without rain. Worried we may have to mow and bale them up too as they may not do enough to even be worth combining.

    Sincerely sorry to hear that CYTracked. I was born and raised on a farm and there were some years that we went through that I just could not believe my Dad never complained and grinned and beared it but were not as bad as this year ( which is infinately worse all the way to infinity than the kick in the ballbags from the 80's ISU football seasons). Reminds me of my Grandfather's farm experiences during the Depression and dust bowl years. He ended up shoveling corn 11 hours a day for 4 cents an hour to feed the family since he had no crop and the banks went bellyup with what money he had left.

    Keep your head up. Prayers are with you.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 22,591, Level: 46
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    1,018
    Points
    22,591
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnlngld View Post
    Squaw creek at 13th and stange is dried up... the skunk is not far behind.
    Is the pool full? A customer has lost his pasture in Nebraska for his cow/calf heard to the wildfire out there. He is in a tough spot.


    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How dry/hot is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    Is the pool full? A customer has lost his pasture in Nebraska for his cow/calf heard to the wildfire out there. He is in a tough spot.
    Heard some irrigated fields in Nebraska were cutting circles in half and letting half of it die so as to irrigate other half as wells are about to go dry.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM