Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 7

Door County, WI

Going up to Door County the last weekend of August. I plan on going to a lot of the state parks/beaches, taking the ferry to Washington Island, and doing some boat and brewery tours. I was wondering if any cyclones has been up there recently and had any suggestions of place to see/visit and stay overnight. I know they don't have any chain hotels up there so it is all going to be the bed and breakfast type stuff. Been on the Door County website a lot but there is so much to do and it is quite a large area. Trying to narrow my options down.

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Door County, WI

Quote Originally Posted by packattack425 View Post
    Going up to Door County the last weekend of August. I plan on going to a lot of the state parks/beaches, taking the ferry to Washington Island, and doing some boat and brewery tours. I was wondering if any cyclones has been up there recently and had any suggestions of place to see/visit and stay overnight. I know they don't have any chain hotels up there so it is all going to be the bed and breakfast type stuff. Been on the Door County website a lot but there is so much to do and it is quite a large area. Trying to narrow my options down.
    It is a great place to visit, we go up every fall for a weekend in October. I can't really give you a lot of information on places to stay, we stay in a condo rented by my in-laws. We have stayed in Sister Bay a couple of times, one I believe was the Yacht Club at Sister Bay and the Scandanavian (sp?) Lodge. Yacht Club was pricey but nice. There are a lot of beautiful parks there and small beaches that are fun to visit. I always eat/drink at Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor - great place if you like micro-brewed beer. Bistro 42 in Carlsville has great wood fired pizzas. Coopers Corner and White Gull Inn are great as well. As far as places to visit, any of the orchards are good, if you golf, Peninsula State Park has a beautiful golf course, there are boat rentals out of Ephraim we have done before, and several fishing charters to choose from. The western part of the peninsula is full of shops, etc. the eastern part is more sparse, not as many shops, but also less traffic. I can give you other options as well if you'd like. We are mostly used to the trips in the fall, but have been there a couple of times in the summer as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Rent a house/cabin up there. That is what we do. Doorcountyrentals.com or something like that. Bailey's harbor is probably the best place to stay location wise if going a lot of places. The harbor there also has sailboat rides & boat tours. The drive in south of there is kind of fun. The ice cream shop on the bay at eagle harbor is a treat. Beware the restaurants are all expensive that is why we rent a place with a kitchen. The swedish restaurant in Baileys is also a fave. I like eat breakfast there. The marine history museims are cool too. Beware lots of affluent snobby tourists from Chicago/Milwaukee in on weekends abd in general it is like the Hamptons of the midwest.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My wife grew up in Sturgeon Bay in Door County until college. We went back there twice for spring break during our ISU days. I don't know a whole lot about it because we mainly just went up to visit her friends. The Bridgeport is a really nice place to stay. She worked there in high school. I can ask her some things to do/see and get back to you.

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 275

Fish Boils are good , golf is good , I fished in Green Bay and caught big smallmouth

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

Don't go in the summertime. It's too hot and the rooms are high. But if you go in the fall you'll have a ball, there's so much to see and do.