Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 94

Cheap cell phone plans

So I'm looking to downgrade from a smartphone on Sprint to a standard phone, basically looking for the cheapest plan I can find. So far, it looks like I can get 1000 min/1000 texts per month on StraightTalk for $30/month. Cricket has unlimited min/texts for $35 per month. Anyone know of anything cheaper? I really doubt that there's anything out there that would beat those 2 prices, but you never know. I figure if anyone would know, CF would be the place to find out.

Also, does anyone have service through StraightTalk or Cricket currently? If so, how is the coverage, and are the phones any good? Just looking for something that gets a decent signal and allows me to easily text, don't need any more than that. Thanks in advance.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

Re: Cheap cell phone plans

Pretty sure cricket is pretty much the cheapest you'll find. My ex-gf had it and the coverage was kind of spotty outside of decent size cities. We went to school in Chicago and she lived in St. Louis and once she left Chicago for the drive to St. Louis she was off the grid for 3 hours. Not the worst thing in the world though

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,281
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    Pretty sure cricket is pretty much the cheapest you'll find. My ex-gf had it and the coverage was kind of spotty outside of decent size cities. We went to school in Chicago and she lived in St. Louis and once she left Chicago for the drive to St. Louis she was off the grid for 3 hours. Not the worst thing in the world though
    Guy at Cricket told me that they have their own network, but when you are outside of that, they basically use Sprint's network. So I can't imagine the coverage is any worse than what I currently get on Sprint, which isn't great, and is a far cry from Verizon, but oh well.

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

Oh i should preface this was 2 years ago now. Should have been the first thing I said.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 143

If you honestly don't use it that much go with a prepaid...

Virgin mobile has unlimited talk and text for $40... or 1500min and 1500txt for $30. Uses Sprint's Network too.

They also have a $35 month unlimited texting and web data with 300min for $35 a month

My teams: (as of 6/15/14)
    Cleveland Browns: 4-12 - .250
    Cleveland Indians: 34-35 - .493
    Cleveland Cavs: 33-49 - .402
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 3-9 - .250
    Iowa State Cyclones (BB): 28-8 - .778

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 474

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    If you honestly don't use it that much go with a prepaid...

Virgin mobile has unlimited talk and text for $40... or 1500min and 1500txt for $30. Uses Sprint's Network too.

They also have a $35 month unlimited texting and web data with 300min for $35 a month
    This is what I'm jumping on once my current contract with Verizon is up. The service might not be quite as good, but the cost is less than half of what Verizon charges.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

boost mobile is the one to get. $55 unlimited everything and it shrinks to $40 a month after a year and a half.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I was curious about peoples experience with prepaid. In 9 months in Europe, I spent a total of 120 euro on cell phone use. I had a smartphone and used apps like voxer walkie talkie for most text messaging, skype for international calls (all of this on 250 mb/week), incoming calls were free, and i only used outgoing calls when it was necessary.

Does something similar exist in the US? I can't believe I spend almost $1500 per year on calling plans.

I'm tired of Verizon. I bought an iPhone 4 before I left, just before they switched from unlimited internet to the gb plans; I thought it would be nice to have unlimited when I returned. Knowing it was a 2-year contract and almost half wouldn't even be used to potential, there is no other reason to do this. The salesperson told me that I could just switch my plan to a family members name and keep the unlimited internet. Well, as soon as I switched the plan, the unlimited internet automatically switched to the 2 gb/month. When this plan expires they are losing me.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 474

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    The salesperson told me that I could just switch my plan to a family members name and keep the unlimited internet. Well, as soon as I switched the plan, the unlimited internet automatically switched to the 2 gb/month. When this plan expires they are losing me.
    Verizon is notorious for that. No matter what a salesperson tells you, if there is any change to your account at all, anything, you lose anything that you might have been grandfathered in on. And they will under no circumstances just undo the change and put you back on your old rate. It's pretty terrible in my opinion.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Verizon is notorious for that. No matter what a salesperson tells you, if there is any change to your account at all, anything, you lose anything that you might have been grandfathered in on. And they will under no circumstances just undo the change and put you back on your old rate. It's pretty terrible in my opinion.
    I get everything in writing. When discussing plan changes with any utilities, I always use email. If you have a written proposal, you have some leverage and can more effectively get the BBB involved. Perhaps I've been fortunate, but when I've had the promises in writing, I've either gotten what was promised, or the company walked away from the contract with no penalties.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy