Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

This could be a great year (long)

Myself and others have had this year (2012 season) circled as the breakout year since Knott and Klein were starters. We will be a senior dominated team with several talented underclassmen.

Defense has 7 senior starters. Offense has 5.

I will start with the coaching staff. I think Paul Rhoads will come into his own in year 4. Don't forget, he was a rookie head coach when he first got here. I keep hearing about how Rhoads keeps talking about how we're a blue collar team, "Protect the ball" and play great defense. I for one have been a little upset how these characteristics haven't been overly apparent (last year). We turned the ball over 35 times last season, most in the Big 12. We were also near the bottom of the league in penalties.
    I think we see a much cleaner football team this fall. Our quarterbacks both have had 1 full year now (or more) to practice with the team, mesh with the RB's and WR and get further understanding of the simplified offensive playbook.
    Courtney Messingham takes over the QB duties. He has proven he can take the TE's and WR and make them a much better group. I am confident he can do the same with the QB's. Also, he now has the reins on the play calling as well.

Offense.
    A lot of Jantz' mistakes last year came from being an immature QB. Forcing the ball down the field when the play wasn't there. In a Cyclone Fanatic interview, Messingham said Jantz has been doing a much better job with his decision making. This is why I think Jantz will win the QB job this fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Barnett came in and play a significant amount. Sorry to bring this up, but I look at Jantz like a ricky stanzi from Jr year to Sr year. Stanzi couldn't go even one game without throwing a pick or two, or 6. Then his senior year he settled down and protected the ball very well. (At least until the wheels came off of their season).
    At RB, we received great news when our best offensive player was given the green light to play this fall. Hopefully he can come back to full strength and speed and be the shontrelle we saw at the beginning of last year. If not, im confident James White can handle the load again as he will be spelled by Woody, Rob Standard and electrifying freshman DeVondrick Nealy.
    WR and TE should be solid. Im pleasantly surprised to see Quenton Bundrage listed as the preseason starter. We have a deep unit that has experience. Excited to see what Coach Sturdy has these guys playing like.
    Offensive line, I won't get into too much detail, I think they have been discussed on here enough. The penalties will hopefully be less.

Defensively

We finally have pass rushers! (I think). David Irving and Roosevelt Maggit are two guys who I think can get to the QB. We really missed having Maggit as a starter last year. People forget how big of an impact he could have made. DI has been said to lack run stopping ability, so hopefully this is where Willie Scott and our two Senior DT's can lead the way. Jake McD could be all conference this year, and will hopefully come into his own for his Sr. season.

Depth at LB. Returning Big 12 Defensive POY and potential All-Americans. Say what you will, but a 6 man rotation of K &K, George, Broomfield, Morgan, and Miller will be our deepest since... well, a long time. George has been herald as most improved player on the team and the 2 seniors will likely be at their best (If healthy for once!)

Depth at DB. Rhoads has raved about the depth at DB. Former DB coach Bob Eliot said Reeves was the best cover corner in the conference. Add in potential All-big 12 Safety Jacques Washington, and we should have a very solid group. Defensive back has never been a concern of mine because our head coach is one of the best DB coaches in all of college football.

Wild Card: Special Teams.
    Will we see Jarvis West take a punt or kickoff back for a touchdown?
    Our kicker could be a weakness, but who knows.
    Will Kirby Van Der Kamp be near the top of the conference in Net Punting again?

Schedule
    Finally aligns Home/Away much better than the past two years. It will make for some really big home games and some winnable road games. Others have mentioned, they don't feel there is a game on the schedule we can't compete in. OU struggles on the road, OSU is down quite a bit and breaking in a new QB. Two new comers into the conference might be in for a conference-culture shock. I really wished we could have played TCU later in the season, but it is what it is. Iowa will be down a little, and thankfully we play them early in the year and give them their first true test under their virtually new coaching staff.

I think we see a much more fundamentally sound football team in 2012. One that is senior dominated, and finally groomed into the coaching staff. I predict less turnovers, fewer penalties, more ball control offense and a smarter football team this year with a potential for 8 or 9 wins.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Re: This could be a great year (long)

i'll have some of whatever you're smokin. 8-9 wins?

although the schedule lines up "better" than before it is still daunting nonetheless. we will likely face 6 ranked teams plus iowa on the road. and even though it is kansas, we have them on the road and late in the season, and we didn't exactly manhandle them last season. would have much rather played them early on before they got into the swing of things with the new coach.

one thing that does really concern me is our run defense. i watched osu game last night out of boredom, and at that point in the season we were ranked 104th in RD (not sure where we finished). we have two potential AA's at LB and a CB who is now with the bucs and we ranked 104th in rush defense. that has to improve if we want to sniff a bowl game this year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 98

QB play is key to win in college football. Problem is there isnt a star QB on this team. Either you have it or you dont, while these two looked outstanding at times, there were other times when they were flat out bad.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 728

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    i'll have some of whatever you're smokin. 8-9 wins?

although the schedule lines up "better" than before it is still daunting nonetheless. we will likely face 6 ranked teams plus iowa on the road. and even though it is kansas, we have them on the road and late in the season, and we didn't exactly manhandle them last season. would have much rather played them early on before they got into the swing of things with the new coach.

one thing that does really concern me is our run defense. i watched osu game last night out of boredom, and at that point in the season we were ranked 104th in RD (not sure where we finished). we have two potential AA's at LB and a CB who is now with the bucs and we ranked 104th in rush defense. that has to improve if we want to sniff a bowl game this year.
    I agree with you and I hope we can plug the middle better. We had the perfect scheme to stop RGIII and did a pretty good job of it but we forgot about Terrence Gannaway (SP?) I think this year with the depth we will be more physical on D up front, losing Leonard will hurt alot. The problem we have is that when we take something away we give something up because our guys across the board can't go man on man consistently with opposing offenses (the gap is closing). Thats why sometimes when playing OU it looks like they have 20 guys on defense because their guys beat our guys consistently (2002 game still haunts me). It would be nice to get a dominant D-tackle (easier said than done) that can create havoc with the middle of the opposing offenses and not let them get going. It all starts up front, a good D-line will make everyone look better.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

I really feel that this is our most favorable schedule in several years. Having a down Iowa really helps, and we got most of our Big 12 toss ups at home.

I feel that 7 regular season wins is very doable for this squad.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I also really feel that this is our most favorable schedule in several years. Having a down Iowa really helps, and we got most of our Big 12 toss ups at home.

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    QB play is key to win in college football. Problem is there isnt a star QB on this team. Either you have it or you dont, while these two looked outstanding at times, there were other times when they were flat out bad.
    So you are saying after watching a redshirt freshman play his first season of Big 12 play, he has no potential? He had a couple down games but did you forget what he did against Texas Tech and OSU?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    So you are saying after watching a redshirt freshman play his first season of Big 12 play, he has no potential? He had a couple down games but did you forget what he did against Texas Tech and OSU?

He has potential to be an an average QB, just like every QB at ISU has been for the last 10 years.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Seven wins is what I'm thinking. I'd settle for 6 wins, but eventually I'm going to get sick of just winning 6 games a year.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

Kansas state was predicted near the bottom of the big 12 last year too. And no one called collin Klein an elite qb before about week 5 at best.. if ever.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Kansas state was predicted near the bottom of the big 12 last year too. And no one called collin Klein an elite qb before about week 5 at best.. if ever.
    And Kstate won a ton of very close games...I can see Iowa State winning 7 this year but they too will have to win the close games

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    At RB, we received great news when our best offensive player was given the green light to play this fall. Hopefully he can come back to full strength and speed and be the shontrelle we saw at the beginning of last year. If not, im confident James White can handle the load again as he will be spelled by Woody, Rob Standard and electrifying freshman DeVondrick Nealy.
    Shontrelle Johnson was given the green light? Awesome news!!!

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

I agree that this is our best chance to win more than 7 games since CPR has been here (and for a while before that too). IMO, it all depends on significantly improved QB play. If we get then, we can win 8.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 222

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I really feel that this is our most favorable schedule in several years. Having a down Iowa really helps, and we got most of our Big 12 toss ups at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    I also really feel that this is our most favorable schedule in several years. Having a down Iowa really helps, and we got most of our Big 12 toss ups at home.

We got an echo in the room?

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    I agree that this is our best chance to win more than 7 games since CPR has been here (and for a while before that too). IMO, it all depends on significantly improved QB play. If we get then, we can win 8.
    Agree with this, and, looking into the future, its also the reason I hope Barnett is ISU's guy this coming season.