Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Football - First Time Attendees

As I've noted in previous posts, we have 4 season tickets. We do this in order to take 2 of our friends to each game...it's more fun to tailgate in a group and we try to get others hooked on ISU football. So far we've had I think 4 or 6 people buy season tickets as a result of it.

Last night we took yet another pair of friends that had never been to an ISU game. Well...he had but not for many years. She had never attended a college football game.

I think we enjoyed their experience more than they did. These two were completely amazed...first just by getting into Ames. Shocked by how many people were there tailgating already...the festivities, etc.

They loved the pre-game inside the stadium - from the 30 minute warning to the entrance through the inflatable helmet. We had not even kicked off yet and they were completely jacked up. A pair that does not consider themselves football fans mind you.

And then....the game.

Consider this...you don't follow ISU all that much...nor football really. You're at Jack Trice Stadium under the lights on a beautiful Iowa evening. The place is near-full of excited ISU fans. Everyone is getting acquainted with their neighbors...talking about how the game may go, etc.

The game gets underway and you know what happens from there. I swear...I was watching their reaction to the game about as much as I was the actual game.

Then...overtime. Whoa...talk about something they were completely stoked to see! She said "I'm so happy I get to watch an overtime!". Now...I wanted to slap her...for obvious reasons relating to our OT history.

But...that gets to my point...

They had no negative history with ISU. They had no ill-will toward D-Mac, his play calling or any of the staff/players. They just wanted to see the game and take part in the experience. They got into the game just as much as the die-hards...and...in some cases....even more. As some of the "die-hards" quickly gave up on their Cyclone football team.

We loved it and I think I'd almost rather attend a football game with "virgins" than the fans very close to the program....well...not always...yet I think ya get what I'm after.

They were just so thrilled to be there...and see ISU pull it out in the end...no matter how much they won by. Like a pair of kids inside a candy store for the first time.

I was jealous to say the least.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303
    Just glad Shaggy diod not have to make a 48 yard field goal in overtime to tie it up. Basically, the game was great. It may turn out to be the best actual played game of the year. Never know.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.