Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Ranking the ISU team by position.

Just to change it up a bit, how would you rank the ISU team by position? I will split it up by Offense and Defense. Positions being on Offense: QB, RB, TE, WR, OL. And Defense: DL, LB, DB.

Offense:

1. Running Back-
    This is the obvious choice i believe. White, Johnson, and Woody give us a nice mix of quickness and power. And who knows, Standard and Nealy could end up bringing something special to the table.

2. Offensive Line- I believe this is an underrated group coming into the season. Having a center like Farniok is great for this O-Line to build around. There are good numbers here with solid players for depth who can step in at any point during the game. And according to my numbers the line could average around 6'5 300+...which a love to see. I would like to see some more mobility though with the plays we run.

3. Wide Receiver- I think this group has potential. Lenz and Horne are the 2 main names that return. I believe Gary will be out because of off the field issues, which hurts. I could see Quenton Bundrage as well as Tad Ecby stepping up and becoming go to guys as well. Jarvis West may be one of the most exciting players in the Big 12 with him game breaking quickness. Also, Jerome Tiller could bring another solid pass catcher to this group.

4. Tight End- Hammerschmidt and Howard return to lead a fairly inexperienced group. I expect them to be great blocking tight ends, and both have short pass catching ability. It's going to be really interesting when Ernst Brun becomes available, i believe he brings the big play ability from a tight end that we currently lack.

5. Quarterback- This group i have ranked last because of the uncertainties. It's rarely ever a good thing when you aren't for sure who your starting QB will be (us and Texas last year as examples). Both Jantz and Barnett have the potential to have this group ranked higher on my list, but until somebody rises up to the occasion, they will remain #5.

Defense:

1. Linebacker- Knott and Klein are one of the best linebacking combinations in the country. Those 2 will be all over the field and i would expect another 100+ tackle season from them both. I'm also intrigued by the athleticism Jeremiah George brings to the table. C.J. Morgan and Jevohn Miller only solidify this group even more.

2. Defensive Back - Jeremy Reeves, Durrell Givens, and Deon Broomfield all return after playing significant minutes in 2011. Big losses with Johnson and Benton from 2011, but i expect players like Jared Brackens to be ready to step in. Also, who do you guys see playing the other Corner spot with Reeves? That is the one position i don't really know who will fill.

3. Defensive Line- Mcdonough, Laing, Simon, and Maggitt (injured 2011) return with experience. If David Irving lives up to the hype, this group could be very very solid. This group gives us solid size as well to take on blocks to allow Klein and Knott to roam free, which is an underrated quality. Will any newcomers play? I expect Wyoming transfer Ben Durbin to see some minutes.

Special Teams...

Kirby Van Der Kamp is one of the best punters in the nation, so its no surprise that he is the tops of the special teams. Jarvis West, Aaron Horne, and Josh Lenz all are very dangerous from the kick and punt return game as well, they might one of the best if not the best in the Big 12.

Cole Netten may have quite a bit of pressure on him coming into the season, and he is one of the only major question marks on the team. Hopefully he can at least maintain where the kickers left off from last year...

As a whole: I believe the Defense is a little more solidified than the offense. Quite honestly i think if the QB situation is solved, then our offensive will put up some good numbers. Finding another L.J. type shut down corner would be nice as well, as sometimes is tough for 5'7 Jeremy Reeves.

I got bored in the office, so i figured i'd do something i don't usually do by giving my personal assessment of the team. Feel free to give your own rankings of the team, or to disagree with mine!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 189

Re: Ranking the ISU team by position.

I'd put WR ahead of OL easily

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WhatchaGonnaDo View Post
    Yeah that was a hard one for me, i could see how you would put them ahead. I think with Albert Gary i would have. I just like the O-Lines potential depth and experience they bring.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackWePack5 View Post
    Just to change it up a bit, how would you rank the ISU team by position? I will split it up by Offense and Defense. Positions being on Offense: QB, RB, TE, WR, OL. And Defense: DL, LB, DB.

Offense:

1. Running Back-
    This is the obvious choice i believe. White, Johnson, and Woody give us a nice mix of quickness and power. And who knows, Standard and Nealy could end up bringing something special to the table.

2. Offensive Line- I believe this is an underrated group coming into the season. Having a center like Farniok is great for this O-Line to build around. There are good numbers here with solid players for depth who can step in at any point during the game. And according to my numbers the line could average around 6'5 300+...which a love to see. I would like to see some more mobility though with the plays we run.

3. Wide Receiver- I think this group has potential. Lenz and Horne are the 2 main names that return. I believe Gary will be out because of off the field issues, which hurts. I could see Quenton Bundrage as well as Tad Ecby stepping up and becoming go to guys as well. Jarvis West may be one of the most exciting players in the Big 12 with him game breaking quickness. Also, Jerome Tiller could bring another solid pass catcher to this group.

4. Tight End- Hammerschmidt and Howard return to lead a fairly inexperienced group. I expect them to be great blocking tight ends, and both have short pass catching ability. It's going to be really interesting when Ernst Brun becomes available, i believe he brings the big play ability from a tight end that we currently lack.

5. Quarterback- This group i have ranked last because of the uncertainties. It's rarely ever a good thing when you aren't for sure who your starting QB will be (us and Texas last year as examples). Both Jantz and Barnett have the potential to have this group ranked higher on my list, but until somebody rises up to the occasion, they will remain #5.

Defense:

1. Linebacker- Knott and Klein are one of the best linebacking combinations in the country. Those 2 will be all over the field and i would expect another 100+ tackle season from them both. I'm also intrigued by the athleticism Jeremiah George brings to the table. C.J. Morgan and Jevohn Miller only solidify this group even more.

2. Defensive Back - Jeremy Reeves, Durrell Givens, and Deon Broomfield all return after playing significant minutes in 2011. Big losses with Johnson and Benton from 2011, but i expect players like Jared Brackens to be ready to step in. Also, who do you guys see playing the other Corner spot with Reeves? That is the one position i don't really know who will fill.

3. Defensive Line- Mcdonough, Laing, Simon, and Maggitt (injured 2011) return with experience. If David Irving lives up to the hype, this group could be very very solid. This group gives us solid size as well to take on blocks to allow Klein and Knott to roam free, which is an underrated quality. Will any newcomers play? I expect Wyoming transfer Ben Durbin to see some minutes.

Special Teams...

Kirby Van Der Kamp is one of the best punters in the nation, so its no surprise that he is the tops of the special teams. Jarvis West, Aaron Horne, and Josh Lenz all are very dangerous from the kick and punt return game as well, they might one of the best if not the best in the Big 12.

Cole Netten may have quite a bit of pressure on him coming into the season, and he is one of the only major question marks on the team. Hopefully he can at least maintain where the kickers left off from last year...

As a whole: I believe the Defense is a little more solidified than the offense. Quite honestly i think if the QB situation is solved, then our offensive will put up some good numbers. Finding another L.J. type shut down corner would be nice as well, as sometimes is tough for 5'7 Jeremy Reeves.

I got bored in the office, so i figured i'd do something i don't usually do by giving my personal assessment of the team. Feel free to give your own rankings of the team, or to disagree with mine!
    Didn't see anything about Jacques Washington...

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    Didn't see anything about Jacques Washington...
    Good catch, i figured i would leave somebody out. He definitely will play a vital role in the defensive backfield as well.

I'm definitely no expert. lol

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good catch, i figured i would leave somebody out. He definitely will play a vital role in the defensive backfield as well.

I'm definitely no expert. lol
    Great anaylsis though! I do think his presence changes your rating for DB.

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 190

This.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great anaylsis though! I do think his presence changes your rating for DB.
    It definitely makes them better with Washington thrown in there. There's just no way i can rank them above Klein and Knott lol.

Also, does anybody know who is in line to play CB opposite of Reeves? That has me really curious.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It definitely makes them better with Washington thrown in there. There's just no way i can rank them above Klein and Knott lol.

Also, does anybody know who is in line to play CB opposite of Reeves? That has me really curious.
    Well LB and DB are in a class of there own compared to DL

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well LB and DB are in a class of there own compared to DL
    I agree. I think David Irving has the potential to be a game breaker though. His length and athleticism is something ISU probably hasn't seen at DE for a long time.

I think the DL will end up having some good depth, its just a matter of who will change the game..

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well according to the depth chart, Jansen Watson (5'9 184) will be our starting Right Cornerback.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 12

Until our WRs can get open and catch passes, I'd rank them last. Jacques Wahington is the 3rd best player on the team.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,244
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Not sure why you're saying Gary won't play...as I understand he's completed his team punishment and the court's aren't impeding his play as long as he holds to the terms of his probation. Why do you think he will not play?

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 137

Really? Also, why would you easily put them ahead? I guess I don't see our WR's being a better unit than last year.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 284

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Really? Also, why would you easily put them ahead? I guess I don't see our WR's being a better unit than last year.
    I'd say that both units will be better--the OL only if because it's not so besieged by injuries.

As far as the WR's, well lets see how the losses are offset by the gains. The graduates were the Dariuses, right? Am I forgetting someone? Probably. Not feeling the greatest today.

So, break it down this way:

Darius Reynolds >/=/< Quenton Bundrage?
    Darius Darks >/=/< Justin Coleman?

I picked Colemen simply because in the Spring game, his skills seemed to match what Darks did for four years--run a pattern, and catch the ball underneath or in a seam. If you prefer, stick someone else, like Ecby or Daniels, here.

Then we have the question of whether Lenz, Gary, Young, West, Horne, etcetera, even Lenz, improve with experience. Given that, and likely better depth, I think that there is a decent chance that by the end of the season, we'll be calling this unit "improved".

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)