Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 211
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 26,048, Level: 49
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,856
    Points
    26,048
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 78

    North Grand Mall

    Having visited Ames many times as a child (mostly for football games) along with living here the past 5 years (undergrad and graduate school) it is hard not to notice the decline of the mall. So now with redevelopment finally occuring at NG Mall, TJ Maxx and Kohls are both being added to the area just south of the mall and it appears they are completely going to redo the parking, landscaping, signage, add more retail, etc for areas from the old Sears building and to the south. Does anyone know of any other businesses that are looking to come to the mall with the new retail and restaurant space that will be built or if the north part of the property is also going to be redeveloped as well? What else would people like to see go in there?



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 222,923, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    10,641
    Points
    222,923
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 762
    Given: 2,017

    Re: North Grand Mall

    I would use the term "mall" loosely....



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 673,013, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    27,343
    Points
    673,013
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,853
    Given: 539

    Re: North Grand Mall

    I think the ratio of open businesses to empty stores is getting pretty close to 1:1 at this point.




    Eyes closed, head first, can't lose.

  4. #4
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 637,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,201
    Points
    637,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,908
    Given: 360

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Frankly, it's embarrassing, as is the entire North Grand shopping area. I try not to ever go there if I can help it. Ames completely missed the boat when they railed against the new mall development a few years ago. I hope those opponents are proud of what they fought so hard to retain.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 913,676, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,180
    Points
    913,676
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,713

    Re: North Grand Mall

    It'll be vacant until the CF Store opens up there.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 444,919, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,288
    Points
    444,919
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 96

    Re: North Grand Mall

    At this point it's a lost cause. I'm still going to go down to Jordan Creek more than I step foot in North Grand Mall and my girlfriend lives less than a mile away from it.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 26,048, Level: 49
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,856
    Points
    26,048
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 78

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Frankly, it's embarrassing, as is the entire North Grand shopping area. I try not to ever go there if I can help it. Ames completely missed the boat when they railed against the new mall development a few years ago. I hope those opponents are proud of what they fought so hard to retain.
    In its current capacity it is definitely embarrassing, although I can imagine it would only be worse if that huge mall would have been built out by the interstate. Anyway hopefully the redevelopment and adding kohl's will start things on an upward trend for that area, I see they renovated the old walmart up there as well now.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 673,013, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    27,343
    Points
    673,013
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,853
    Given: 539

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    In its current capacity it is definitely embarrassing, although I can imagine it would only be worse if that huge mall would have been built out by the interstate. Anyway hopefully the redevelopment and adding kohl's will start things on an upward trend for that area, I see they renovated the old walmart up there as well now.
    If they had a nice big mall they could have just torn NGM down for all it mattered.




    Eyes closed, head first, can't lose.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 85,799, Level: 91
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,651
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    FarminCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Right Over There
    Posts
    3,103
    Points
    85,799
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 639
    Given: 152

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    Having visited Ames many times as a child (mostly for football games) along with living here the past 5 years (undergrad and graduate school) it is hard not to notice the decline of the mall. So now with redevelopment finally occuring at NG Mall, TJ Maxx and Kohls are both being added to the area just south of the mall and it appears they are completely going to redo the parking, landscaping, signage, add more retail, etc for areas from the old Sears building and to the south. Does anyone know of any other businesses that are looking to come to the mall with the new retail and restaurant space that will be built or if the north part of the property is also going to be redeveloped as well? What else would people like to see go in there?
    The mall is struggling and is a victim of their own horrible decisions. They are very lucky that the town center didn't get approved that was to be built east of the interstate on 13th (still can't believe that got shot down).

    My wife and I have discussed multiple times we find it hard to believe that a town with a college the size of ISU doesn't have an Old Navy in it.

    The mall and the city of Ames have made terrible decisions in the past and have drove business away. It appears that they are both realizing that you need to grow to keep people from driving to Ankeny or DSM to go shopping.

    The additions still won't change anything for us. We live south of Ames and even though Ames is closer it is faster for us to get to the stores in Ankeny just due to the mall being in north Ames. The mall is still in a horrible location for a lot of people but with the growth in north Ames and that it is pretty easy to get to from campus it should end up working out for them. Hopefully they don't get stupid and decide to start kicking stores out again.

    When my wife and I moved to Ames 10 years ago and lived by the mall it was a decent small thriving mall. Amazing how far it has tumbled during that time. I hope someday it get's to a point where it would draw us back up there for clothes, etc. for the kids as I would rather spend money in Ames than Ankeny.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 138,085, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    6,368
    Points
    138,085
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 324

    Re: North Grand Mall

    to all the people complaining about "having to drive across town".... SMH....



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 28,295, Level: 51
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ManBearClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    825
    Points
    28,295
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 180

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Frankly, it's embarrassing, as is the entire North Grand shopping area.
    Why should it be any different then South Duff, Lincoln Way, Downtown or Campus Town.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 8,476, Level: 27
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    hiltonisheaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    384
    Points
    8,476
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 66

    Re:North Grand Mall

    NGM is a disgrace right now. They have a LONG ways to go to rebuild a respectable business that I would patronize. Just embarrassing right now. I hope they can turn it around but letting the place lie in ruin will not bring in more stores or shoppers.



  13. #13
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 528,261, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    18,805
    Points
    528,261
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 6,519

    Re: North Grand Mall

    I used to work int he mall office, probably... crap, 12 years ago, as an intern. Even then, leasing stores was a lot of work. They've got a big market down at Jordan Creek to compete with, and internet shopping is enormous these days.


    M 7/09

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4Cy View Post
    I got 99 problems but angie isn't one.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 26,048, Level: 49
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,856
    Points
    26,048
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 78

    Re: North Grand Mall

    I think people might be surprised at what stores might consider opening up there now that they're spending the money to redevelop it, its really not a bad location (considering the development and planned development in north ames and its proximity to the University). In all honesty its really not that surprising the property is in that bad of shape as I think it was originally developed back in the 70s (although I could be wrong)?


    Last edited by cyclone87; 07-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 26,048, Level: 49
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,856
    Points
    26,048
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 78

    Re: North Grand Mall

    Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    The mall is struggling and is a victim of their own horrible decisions. They are very lucky that the town center didn't get approved that was to be built east of the interstate on 13th (still can't believe that got shot down).

    My wife and I have discussed multiple times we find it hard to believe that a town with a college the size of ISU doesn't have an Old Navy in it.

    The mall and the city of Ames have made terrible decisions in the past and have drove business away. It appears that they are both realizing that you need to grow to keep people from driving to Ankeny or DSM to go shopping.

    The additions still won't change anything for us. We live south of Ames and even though Ames is closer it is faster for us to get to the stores in Ankeny just due to the mall being in north Ames. The mall is still in a horrible location for a lot of people but with the growth in north Ames and that it is pretty easy to get to from campus it should end up working out for them. Hopefully they don't get stupid and decide to start kicking stores out again.

    When my wife and I moved to Ames 10 years ago and lived by the mall it was a decent small thriving mall. Amazing how far it has tumbled during that time. I hope someday it get's to a point where it would draw us back up there for clothes, etc. for the kids as I would rather spend money in Ames than Ankeny.
    Yep, I remember it being a decent mall when I was a kid.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM