Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 270

Re: Blythe Article

*opens can of worms*

I would like to see an article wrote featuring the best receiver on our team...

Marquis Hamilton.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

While he hasn't finished as strong as he started I don't think that's entirely his fault and he does own the majority of ISU's receiving records.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I could be wrong about this but my perception is that he is/can be a great receiver its just I don't think our particular offense fits the way he plays. I think is way of play is more for the long ball and can beat the defense down the field but our O-line and quarterback style of play is unable to support the long ball being thrown. He has great hands and can make insane catches in desperate times.

I think he is weaker on shorter routes and gets beat there more often but then again I don't really have any evidence supporting that assumption other than thats just what I think. It could seems that way do to the way our offense is set up. Although he does do a great job on his 10 yards and catch the ball on the sideline play.

I think for our style of play Hamilton just fits better and for our team is the best wide receiver on the team. Put both players on a different team I think you could see something completely different.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 270

I'm not sure you'd see much different if these guys were elsewhere.

I like Todd, a lot. It's no secret I've worshiped him. I also believe I have a much better understanding of that position (and the game) than I did even a year ago.

I do know our system and hindrances the last 2 years have not helped Todd. Last year we couldn't block anyone and therefore had zero time to toss the ball down the field. This year is better, but still far from '04 and '05. The competition being better does have something to do with that though, in '06 and '07.

However, we shouldn't have to go down the field in order to get the ball to our #1 receiver. But, we do. Other than going down field for a deep pass and/or a jump ball, what does Blythe do for us on the field?

Is he a good blocker? Tough across the middle? Great hands? Yards after the catch?

I think Hamilton fits those things much better and he has the ability to go down the field as well. Plus, he can catch the Blythe fade pass.

Too often Todd will try to one-hand a pass that could have been caught if he put both hands up. He doesn't block very well at all. Yes, I've seen him improve, but it's still lacking. He's not a guy you can depend on across the middle of the field. And he certainly isn't going to get YAC unless he's in open space.

Again, I like Todd a lot and I do think with better coaching he could have gotten better from his freshman year, instead of plateauing. But the facts still remain, he's not the best receiver we have on this football team. I said this a few weeks ago, more subtle. No more pulling punches.

Hamilton was a big reason we had success on offense against OU. If anything, we aught to be worshiping him.