Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 36,730, Level: 59
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Points
    36,730
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 21

    NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Here ya go... don't know if this has been posted yet.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/op...tate.html?_r=1



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 12,525, Level: 33
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    leroycyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    866
    Points
    12,525
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 3

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Here ya go... don't know if this has been posted yet.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/op...tate.html?_r=1
    Yes, read this early in the morning.

    This is theatrical comedy, produced and directed by the NCAA.

    1. Miami's booster.
    2. Ohio State football under Jim Tressel?
    3. UNC football team under Butch Davis.
    4. USC football and Reggie Bush under Pete Carroll
    5. Oregon, right now
    6. Arkansas football coach and his Harley

    And the NCAA cites CalTech for lack of institutional control.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 959,983, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    66,610
    Points
    959,983
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,318
    Given: 8,230

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    How dare CalTech allow student-athletes to use the same system as regular students in trying out their classes? That takes a lot of nerve.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 66,842, Level: 80
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,208
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,289
    Points
    66,842
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,024
    Given: 2,447

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    You can't even make this stuff up. Reminds me of the CJ Bruton fiasco.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 33,233, Level: 56
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyclone1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,770
    Points
    33,233
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 79

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Don't forget about the Jiri Hubalek suspension.
    Getting a 1985 mini-van....from his adopted and/or foreign exchange family(not sure which one it is)....who once had ISU tickets back in the 80's.....



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 69,946, Level: 82
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,504
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    6,101
    Points
    69,946
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 608
    Given: 296

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    This will be another in a long line of NCAA failures to punish a school that is completely out of control, while beating up on some little low revenue school just so they can show that they are enforcing the rules. In the past few years we have seen USC, OU, ND, Auburn, etc getting a hand slap or nothing at all for things the NCAA would slap the death penalty on ISU for. It is all about money and anyone that doesn't see it needs to take off their school colored glasses and look at the real history. The SEC seems to flaunts cheating, knowing that the NCAA will do nothing to the golden child....

    It is really, really sad.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 6,602, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    trailer down by the river
    Posts
    498
    Points
    6,602
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by leroycyclone View Post
    Yes, read this early in the morning.

    This is theatrical comedy, produced and directed by the NCAA.

    1. Miami's booster.
    2. Ohio State football under Jim Tressel?
    3. UNC football team under Butch Davis.
    4. USC football and Reggie Bush under Pete Carroll
    5. Oregon, right now
    6. Arkansas football coach and his Harley
    And the NCAA cites CalTech for lack of institutional control.
    Did'nt Iowa State get the "death penalty" in football for buying a recruit a McDonalds hamburger ? Those days were kind of hazy for me . TYIA for info..



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 164,779, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,606
    Points
    164,779
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 15

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    We'll...teach...you...to...consider...what...course...best...prepares...you...fo r...your...future...outside...of...sports....

    In a Montgomery Burns voice, of course.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 95,438, Level: 96
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,612
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    3,241
    Points
    95,438
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 421

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Off the top of my head, here's a solution to the whole Penn State situation:

    1. Death Penalty. How long? As long as it takes.

    2. All current players & recruits will be given one extra year of elgibility (in addition to keeping their redshirt year if they haven't used it yet) and also given waivers to play right away at another Division 1 school. If they want to stay at Penn State to finish their degrees, PSU will fund their college completely until they graduate.

    3. All schools taking PSU refugees into their programs will be allowed to have these former Nittany Lions as surplus scholarship or walk-on players on their roster. If you take in 4 of these one-time PSU transfer players, your scholarship limit goes up by 4, and you can dress 4 additional players on gameday.

    4. I was going to say "force PSU to fund the college scholarships for these former players", but I don't think we need to go that far....yet. If Penn State students, faculty/administrators & alumni continue to be whiny little beeyotches about their punishment, drop that on them at a later date and then ask "Are you done whining, or do we have to go to Step #5?"


    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 543,132, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,420
    Points
    543,132
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,840
    Given: 2,859

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Off the top of my head, here's a solution to the whole Penn State situation:

    1. Death Penalty. How long? As long as it takes.

    2. All current players & recruits will be given one extra year of elgibility (in addition to keeping their redshirt year if they haven't used it yet) and also given waivers to play right away at another Division 1 school. If they want to stay at Penn State to finish their degrees, PSU will fund their college completely until they graduate.

    3. All schools taking PSU refugees into their programs will be allowed to have these former Nittany Lions as surplus scholarship or walk-on players on their roster. If you take in 4 of these one-time PSU transfer players, your scholarship limit goes up by 4, and you can dress 4 additional players on gameday.

    4. I was going to say "force PSU to fund the college scholarships for these former players", but I don't think we need to go that far....yet. If Penn State students, faculty/administrators & alumni continue to be whiny little beeyotches about their punishment, drop that on them at a later date and then ask "Are you done whining, or do we have to go to Step #5?"
    I'd be careful with this one. You're just giving name brand schools an added recruiting advantage.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 95,438, Level: 96
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,612
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    3,241
    Points
    95,438
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 421

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I'd be careful with this one. You're just giving name brand schools an added recruiting advantage.
    I don't care. The advantage for the "haves" over the "have nots" is a secondary effect of this punishment. The main focus is to grab Penn State by the nose and kick them in the cojones repeatedly. Besides, even if some other school grabs a prime player from PSU and uses that player as the last piece they needed to build a BCS championship team? That still makes the big-picture story "Penn State has no chance at the BCS title because Penn State has no football team right now".

    It's a one year exemption that can only be used by approximately 85 players. Spread those players out over 100+ D1 programs, and it will more than likely be a blip that doesn't even show up on the radar.


    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 543,132, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,420
    Points
    543,132
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,840
    Given: 2,859

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    I don't care. The advantage for the "haves" over the "have nots" is a secondary effect of this punishment. The main focus is to grab Penn State by the nose and kick them in the cojones repeatedly. Besides, even if some other school grabs a prime player from PSU and uses that player as the last piece they needed to build a BCS championship team? That still makes the big-picture story "Penn State has no chance at the BCS title because Penn State has no football team right now".

    It's a one year exemption that can only be used by approximately 85 players. Spread those players out over 100+ D1 programs, and it will more than likely be a blip that doesn't even show up on the radar.
    You can punish Penn St without giving all the name brand schools the added advantage that they don't need.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 76,116, Level: 85
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,818
    Points
    76,116
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 431

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Here ya go... don't know if this has been posted yet.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/op...tate.html?_r=1
    I'm in no way trying to make anything to do with this scandal acceptable. I just have to ask...are there NCAA rules that were violated that could lead to any type of penalties against PSU? I have no idea...



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 35,102, Level: 57
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,688
    Points
    35,102
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    The problem with Penn State is that their fans want to debate whether Paterno deserves a statue, the family wants to have their own investigation, the administration is trying to walk a line between legal and public scrutiny while retaining the legacy of Joe Paterno, no legacy = less money. They need to take drastic and swift action and clean up their own house no mattery how much money it costs them in the short run, forget the notion that JoePa did great things for them - in fact he created the institutional control issue and allowed unspeakable crimes to continue and they all went along with it. Public outcry will not go away, they may as well strip any connection to Paterno, clean house on anyone that knew anything about this and ask for a hiatus to get the time to clean it up. But they won't do any of that - and that is why Penn State deserves the death penalty.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 57,240, Level: 74
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,310
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    uro cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,499
    Points
    57,240
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 244

    Re: NY Times article on NCAA and Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I'm in no way trying to make anything to do with this scandal acceptable. I just have to ask...are there NCAA rules that were violated that could lead to any type of penalties against PSU? I have no idea...
    Although they have an very thick rule book, I don't believe there is anything specifically against aiding and abetting a child molester. They would probably use the "lack of institutional control," which they can use as a catch all for anything else.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM