Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 229

My take from the exhibition game

First off, I was surprisingly impressed by Sean Haluska. This kid is gonna give us some quality minutes in the guard spot. I don't care if he's Adams bro or not, welcome aboard. Brackins is.... well everything he was hyped up to be. If his knee stays healthy he is gonna be a beast on the blocks. He had a couple nice blocks and showed some impressive quickness inside. Rahshon is as nimble as ever had a couple of good tip ins and seems to be the floor leader when he's out there. I was also impressed with both Brister and Garrett. Marcus is better than I thought and had a couple of great assists. Diante, to me anyway, seems to dribble a little strange. He seems to stand straight up while he dribbles, but he is really quick so gets away with it. I guess it has worked for him in the past, so hopefully that continues. He is very shifty and can change direction instantaneously. Boozer has a sweet stroke and drained a couple of contested threes. Petersen will be a good guy to put in to not make mistakes... he is very smart with the ball and controls the tempo well. I really wasn't impressed with Thompson or Cory Johnson at all. Both of them seemed pretty timid. I was expecting them to throw their size around. Hopefully that is something that gets changed with play time. And last Vette. Is it just me or did this kid lose like 20lbs since high school? Someone behind me said he has been super home sick and been traveling back to Waverly a lot. He's got some moves and looked ok, but I think he lost some strength. Hopefully things work out. Also, i really hope Lucca will be able to play at 6'5" 220 he made some of our guards look like weaklings. I think he has the perfect body for the B12 and could really give us some needed strength.

Last edited by cyfan964; 11-01-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 42

Re: My take from the exhibition game

Boozer is gonna be a HUGE part of this teams success. He is going to be the shooter to come off the bench for us this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 795
    Given: 526

Sean Haluska can really shoot well and is therefore very valuable. Wesley can drive the lane and therefore is very valuable. This is an improvement over last year.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-01-2007 at 11:03 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 358

We gotta get the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE going after he hits threes.

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hopefully, AT was pressing a bit and was out of rhythm. If not, it doesn't look so good. I was hoping to have some depth in the paint, allowing WJ to play on the perimeter like Mac wants him to. Brackins and Jiri will be more than adaquate but not sure who the next guy in is. All in all, a nice start.

Recruit
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

I was really impressed with all the guards on the defensive end. I know that was not a Big 12 team they were playing but overall did a really good job. I know the coach was tinkering with the line ups but there were a lot of different combinations out there. I think that will be a positive as the season goes on.

I don't know if anything was said on the post game show but on the last time out Clark looked like his left leg was really bothering him, when he was getting off the bench. Hope it is nothing to serious.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    First off, I was surprisingly impressed by Sean Haluska. This kid is gonna give us some quality minutes in the guard spot. I don't care if he's Adams bro or not, welcome aboard. Brackins is.... well everything he was hyped up to be. If his knee stays healthy he is gonna be a beast on the blocks. He had a couple nice blocks and showed some impressive quickness inside. Rahshon is as nimble as ever had a couple of good tip ins and seems to be the floor leader when he's out there. I was also impressed with both Brister and Garrett. Marcus is better than I thought and had a couple of great assists. Diante, to me anyway, seems to dribble a little strange. He seems to stand straight up while he dribbles, but he is really quick so gets away with it. I guess it has worked for him in the past, so hopefully that continues. He is very shifty and can change direction instantaneously. Boozer has a sweet stroke and drained a couple of contested threes. Petersen will be a good guy to put in to not make mistakes... he is very smart with the ball and controls the tempo well. I really wasn't impressed with Thompson or Cory Johnson at all. Both of them seemed pretty timid. I was expecting them to throw their size around. Hopefully that is something that gets changed with play time. And last Vette. Is it just me or did this kid lose like 20lbs since high school? Someone behind me said he has been super home sick and been traveling back to Waverly a lot. He's got some moves and looked ok, but I think he lost some strength. Hopefully things work out. Also, i really hope Lucca will be able to play at 6'5" 220 he made some of our guards look like weaklings. I think he has the perfect body for the B12 and could really give us some needed strength.
    I would add that Brister lacked on offense, but played well defensively. Garrett lacked on defense, but had good quick moves and handled the ball well. Alex Thompson looked out of place and didn't play that well tonight. Hopefully he improves because he has the body we can use in the big12. Hubalek will add a lot to this team. I was worried about the team being able to produce from 3-point range, but they definitely held their own. We have some good shooters, and we will need them because I think teams will be guarding us pretty heavy inside since we will be playing a bigger team than most.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Looking at the stats... Haluska had 5 steals? and a +4 steal to turnover ratio? Only one other guy on the team had a positive ratio (Cameron).

That's a pretty nice stat to lead in.

And I suppose we won't be seeing nearly as many double doubles from Wes with him at the 2 huh?

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

-Wesley Johnson... what a stud.
    -Craig Brackins... see above, has potential to be even better. Needs to finish easy shots. What a wingspan to swat at the ball!
    -Rahshon Clark... much improved. Looks like the Rahshon of old. If he is a consistent offensive contributor that is going to help a lot. Defensively is very aggressive.
    -Petersen... didn't notice him (which is mostly good, i.e., didn't make mistakes). Controlled the offense well. Small size but plays smart.
    -Garrett... scrappy player. He needs some experience before he will be consistent IMO. Missed some easy shots. Has lots of potential, however.
    -Brister... has got skillzzz. Needs to be more consistent. Handles the ball pretty well and made some nice passes... as well as some bad ones.
    -Boozer... is going to be pretty good. He's got a nice shot. Made some nice three's.
    -Haluska... very impressed. Very quick and good hands. Very good shooter. Hustles!!
    -Thompson... not very impressive. Hands aren't that good. Got pushed around a little. Needs to be more aggressive and work on handling the ball. Shooting around the basket needs to improve. His improvement will be key in our success this year.
    C. Johnson... is a copy of last year. A little more trim and fit. Needs to use his size more and be more aggressive around the basket. Still a good hustler.
    Vette... will get better, but probably not much this year. He needs practice. Handwork must improve and needs to get aggressive! Potential is there and will be key for the future.
    Lucca... we need you!!! I hate the NCAA, hope to see you on the floor soon!
    Jiri... we need you!!!!!!! You are the biggest key to us being consistent on offense as well as defense. We need your aggressiveness and inside presence. Get better soon.
    Brock... has not changed. Missed two open threes in the game. May be solid in practice, but not in the game. Will not see many minutes this year.
    Lee... small quick player. If he develops a nice shot, he will be a nice asset for the future.
    Currie... needs to improve his shooting. Good hustle. Will not see many minutes this year.

Did I miss anyone?

Overall, with our starters we will be a very talented team this year except for the PG position, but I don't think PG will be a downfall to this team. We are going to be very good defensively. The key to success this season will be offensive consistency, as well as the development of our freshmen. FREE LUCCA! We will miss having him on the floor. Our back-ups aren't that special, but that's why they are back-ups. Hopefully they will continue to improve.

Imagine.... we could have:

Haluska/Petersen
    Wesley Johnson/Lucca Staiger/Boozer
    Rahshon Clark
    Craig Brackins
    Jiri Hubalek

Yeowza! I like that line-up a LOT. We are going to need a back-up big man to step up and be consistent, however.

I am excited to see how we do against EA Sports.

Last edited by cstrunk; 11-02-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 273

What's this? Haluska getting some love here?

He did have a good game, hustled just like he did in the Cap. City league.

Alex looked like a guy with a ton of rust on him, having not played a meaningful game for a year and a half.

Brackins...yeah...he's gonna be a good one. I like Vette, but still contend he'd be best served with a redshirt this year.

Good guard play tonight I thought, but it was against Dubuque.

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 215

I was very impressed with Peterson. He can handle the ball pretty well.

Brackins played some nice D. Would be nice to see him get A LOT of touches inside.

Alex T looked lost out there. Not a lot of energy.

Rahshon played very well. I would really like to see him average double figure points this year to take a lil heat off of Wesley.

Diante played well. Had a few nice drives to the basket. His long are nice to have when on D with the 5 second rule.

I wont put everyone to sleep with all my thoughts, these were just a few that stood out.

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 273

Good point on Clark...he showed up and looked like a senior ready to go out on a high note this year. Shot well from outside...hope to see that all year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 795
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cy View Post
    I was really impressed with all the guards on the defensive end. I know that was not a Big 12 team they were playing but overall did a really good job. I know the coach was tinkering with the line ups but there were a lot of different combinations out there. I think that will be a positive as the season goes on.

I don't know if anything was said on the post game show but on the last time out Clark looked like his left leg was really bothering him, when he was getting off the bench. Hope it is nothing to serious.
    His leg has been bothering him for six weeks now.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

What I saw tonight...

Wesley Johnson looked 10x better than he did last year. The offseason ball helped his confidence, shot, and ball handling off the charts. I like where he has gone, and where he is going to be here in 4-5 weeks. Rahson Clark looked like him usual self, he was skying for rebounds, hustling his a** off and playing tough defense. He even hit a couple good shots which is a good sign for a senior player. Craig Brackins is going to be great, he has great post moves although it was tough to get him the ball early cause they were playing zone defense and sagging/double teaming our post people. He had a sweet block and I think he did well around the rim with moves, ball handling, etc. his ability to finish will come along the more he is coached. Bryan Peterson handled the ball well, I like the kid cause he is sure handed at hte point, yet he isn't a big scorer, but is a very good defender. In my opinion I would rather see Marcus Brister in there at point. I seen Brister create I think two 5-second calls, and had a couple good steals, he made some good passes after driving to the post and wing man, which right away reminded me of stinson or blalock, loved it. Haluska had an excellent game, he played defense really strong and has really improved since last friday! If he and our players improve like that over the season, look for an exciting year. Garrett had a couple good plays, as previously mentioned he stands up when he dribbles, but I think he would be one that could create has he has height to which could possibly create mismatches. Charles Boozer looked excellent today, he played exceptional defense and shot the ball well, he seemed to pick up his game since last friday and has really listened to the coaches and looked like he was having fun out there! Alex Thompson I think didn't look that well out there, he got plenty of looks down low and wasn't able to capitialize on them, I think this is the lack of post coaching the last couple years at Iowa, but over the next few months you are going to see him become more confident and possibly be a big force. Cory Johnson looked alright out there, he hustled like has done since he got here, missed a couple shots from the top of the key, but I think he needs to work on his post game also.

Overall, our perimeter game is going to be surprisingly well, we have excellent depth at every position, and at every position with all the depth, they can all shoot the ball. Our post game was sluggish early and I think that was because they were playing zone and sagging on our posts and even double teaming from the back side. We rebounded well, althought we only out-rebounded them by 7 which is misleading as we got our butts out-rebounded in the last 5 minutes prolly 15-5. We are going to be an excellent defending team, we were always in their face, and it was a great team effort on defense with 2-3 5 second calls a couple steals, couple blocks, and excellent box outs with our top 8-10 players. No matter what time was in the game, each person played their butts off for a starting spot. What I liked at the end was with 3-4 minutes left, McDermott was still tweaking with the lineup minus the obvious starters trying to see who plays the best with what other supporting staff he has, and he was still coaching his a** off. I love that in a coach. Many coaches get up that much and they just sit on the bench and call the subs in and out. McD was up and yelling at the team, and working on their offensive sets.

Sorry it is so long but I think it was a great game and right now I'd say they are b-. Post game needs work(offense and defense). Other than that I would give them b+/a-. Our effort and defense was A as you could expect with McD, and our depth would prolly be a b+

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    Charles Boozer looked excellent today, he played exceptional defense
    Sorry scottie but I couldn't disagree more with this comment about Booze's defense. He played very lazy defense and was out of position. On 3 separate occasions Coach Mac pulled him aside for one on one coaching directly following a play where he either committed a foul or gave up an easy bucket for being out of position. Coach Mac was not pleased, but seemed to be coaching him in an encouraging manner rather than chewing him out. I'm not trying to come down on him because I thought overall he looked good out there, has a very nice outside shot, and seems to have great potential. However, he did not play good defense tonight. I'm sure he'll learn with time.

Also, Brister had a few good plays and did play good defense. But, clearly Peterson was best at running the offense and definitely pushed the tempo. The big scoring drought to end the first half was when Brister came into the game (probably nerves,) and he didn't push the tempo enough. I'd say we will see Peterson, DG, and Brister in that order for every game at least until the Big XII season and maybe the first couple conf. games. The good news is we have options which we sorely needed last year.

Last edited by ArathornClone; 11-02-2007 at 12:48 AM.