Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 608

Pre Two-a-Days Offensive Line Grade

I did this series pre-Spring, then don’t believe that I posted a review following the Spring Game. Still, going into Summer camp I think this is a good place to set up for the onslaught of information leading to starting lineups for the first game. Theoretically, at least, I’ll do a summation then, heading into the season.

Offensive Line
    Again I’ll start off with the big bruisers up front, because they not only make the offense go, the offense makes things easier for the defense. So everything revolves around this position—or stalls, as Dan McCarney found out.
    Knowns
    Brayden Burris, Carter Bykowski and Kyle Lichtenberg are a nice trio of tackles, all of whom could get at least a sniff from the NFL when their Cyclone careers are over. Tom Farniok looks like a future star about to happen. The guards both have experience, as Ethan Tuftee and Jacob Gannon both got starts in last season.

Questions
    Based on CPR’s words over the spring, I’m not counting on Shaban Dika playing at all this season—I think the plan of the moment is to let him rehab all year, then be able to petition for a sixth year. Thus experienced depth at the moment is Lichtenberg and reserve center Sam Tautolo, period. Bob Graham and Ben Loth have been around long enough now that they should be expected to work into the playing rotation. Otherwise, they are going to be lapped by guys like redshirt Oni Omoile—whom I am convinced has star potential. Oh, last question—is Tuftee really as good an athlete as AA said he was???

Mystery Meat
    Redshirts Brock Dagel and Jamison Lalk were high school tight ends who are the only other returning scholarship tackles. Given that two of the guys ahead of them are seniors, they need to be prepared for ’13—though hopefully not the same way that Bykowski, Lichtenberg and Gannon were. Because of a rash of injuries. Duaron Williams might help, but could spend the season continuing to rehab—as Quinton Pompey did a year ago. Fellow freshman Jacob Dunning is as green at tackle as Dagel and Lalk. Dan Burton could be another Farniok—but that’s down the line somewhere.
    tentative grade: 7.0 +/- 1.5
    *Injuries dragged this grade down a year ago. More could muddle the numbers again.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Re: Pre Two-a-Days Offensive Line Grade

I was talking with my buddy the other day about the O-Line and he went on a tangent that Iowa State was the only D-1A school to offer all the guys in our two-deep. He said Rhoads is looking for a certain kind of lineman and I guess I don't follow this position or recruiting enough to know if this is accurate or not. I hope this group performs well but it will be tough in this league

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 30

Just out of curiosity, (because I know nothing of o line play) what makes you an expert on the offensive line? Did you play college Oline? Do you attend practice?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    I was talking with my buddy the other day about the O-Line and he went on a tangent that Iowa State was the only D-1A school to offer all the guys in our two-deep. He said Rhoads is looking for a certain kind of lineman and I guess I don't follow this position or recruiting enough to know if this is accurate or not. I hope this group performs well but it will be tough in this league
    We do but so does OkSt/Oregon/WVU/a lot of spread teams. It's not like we go completely away from the typical spread lineman.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Looks like our qbs better be able to run....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Our O-Line continues to underwhelm. I fully expect that to be the case again this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 991
    Given: 2,100

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Rhoads has deffinitely stated that he is looking for a certain type of lineman. He said specifically that he wants a line like Oklahoma States. A spread OL that is filled with guys with decent size, but also the quickness to get to the next level. He's been bringing in guys every year that fit that mold and we've seen a few of them playing already after a year or two in the system. That's very encouraging. I really like how he has developed some local guys into players that can be solid contributors and also landed some out of state players that look to be able to develop into real difference makers (Omoile and Williiams).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Our O-Line continues to underwhelm. I fully expect that to be the case again this year.
    I think it might be a challenge at first to replace KO and HH, but I think this group has the potential to be a really solid O-Line once they have a chance to gel.

We had pretty decent depth last year and it was tested by injuries to starters. That means that everyone who will be playing this year has had PT. That's a positive.

Neither of our tackles will be as monstrous as KO in they run game but I think their athleticism will make them assets in pass protection.

I think our guards will be solid. Tuftee has a lot of experience and Gannon looked pretty decent when he was forced into action last year. Another offseason to get stronger could do wonders for him.

Farniok will be in year two of his four year starting career. All accounts are that he has worked a lot on getting bigger and stronger.

All in all I think the group is developing according to plan.

Last edited by cyhiphopp; 07-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

Well we need our line to be damn good if we expect to win 6+ games. Unfortunately, our recruiting hasn't shown overwhelming signs of future stars.

Yes, we are Iowa state and cannot expect multiple 3 star players to sign with us, but at some point we either need to win more games or out recruit the rest of the conference. Chicken or the egg type deal. Unfortunately again, we finished 8th in the standings and 10th in recruiting. The bright side? It's still a huge step ahead of where we were from '06-'07-'08.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 94

Woe is me crap once again on recruiting... jesus... it's getting kind of old here guys

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,514
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFB View Post
    Woe is me crap once again on recruiting... jesus... it's getting kind of old here guys
    It definitely is. I'd like to see an upgrade in fan talent around here. The current crop are a buncha whiny babies.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I think it might be a challenge at first to replace KO and HH, but I think this group has the potential to be a really solid O-Line once they have a chance to gel.

We had pretty decent depth last year and it was tested by injuries to starters. That means that everyone who will be playing this year has had PT. That's a positive.

Neither of our tackles will be as monstrous as KO in they run game but I think their athleticism will make them assets in pass protection.

I think our guards will be solid. Tuftee has a lot of experience and Gannon looked pretty decent when he was forced into action last year. Another offseason to get stronger could do wonders for him.

Farniok will be in year two of his four year starting career. All accounts are that he has worked a lot on getting bigger and stronger.

All in all I think the group is developing according to plan.

I think this is spot on, are we going to have any bulldozer's like KO probably not. But I think this group is exactly where CPR and crew want them, if not ahead of the curve. It sucks that Dika can't stay healthy. I think this group as a whole will quietly surprise this year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFB View Post
    The "I expect better" crowd is even more annoying with their empty posturing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Well we need our line to be damn good if we expect to win 6+ games. Unfortunately, our recruiting hasn't shown overwhelming signs of future stars.

Yes, we are Iowa state and cannot expect multiple 3 star players to sign with us, but at some point we either need to win more games or out recruit the rest of the conference. Chicken or the egg type deal. Unfortunately again, we finished 8th in the standings and 10th in recruiting. The bright side? It's still a huge step ahead of where we were from '06-'07-'08.
    As far as OL is considered, we have been getting a pretty good number of 3 stars. Lichtenberg, Dika, Graham, Loth, Omoile, Burton, and Big Dog Williams (who probably would have been a 4 star pre-injury).
    The 2 star players we've brought in have been local kids who never get a lot of recruiting hype or development guys like Dagel and Lalk who are converted TEs and will take a few years to grow into their positions. Once they do though, they will have plus athleticism for their position.
    Gannon was a 2 star and has passed some of the 3 stars. Farniok was a 2 star with almost no attention at all and he will likely be a 4 year starter and getting better every year.

I think the staff is bringing in the right mix of solid 3 star talent and developmental guys. I think it's a very good strategy because we aren't going to be able to bring in a bunch of OL recruits that are going to start as true freshman like UT and OU can. We have to grow and develop our linemen and take the occasional big talent like Omoile and D Williams and turn them into studs.

It takes longer to develop guys for 2+ years before they really contribute, but in the end they will play very well.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Side note the staff has done an awesome job with Tom, dude is much bigger than last year