Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48

Fostering a child

So I had a really weird experience tonight. My girlfriend and I were heading home from a friends tonight and seen a child running out the front door with the mother chasing after her. The lady signals me to help, so I tell gf to stop immediately. I jump out of the car and stop the girl from running away. I find out that the lady chasing her was the foster parent. The girl is yelling the whole time that she hates living there and doesnt want to go back. I ended up walking her home but am really just torn on what to do. I did call the police and they said they were sending out a couple squad cars to check it out. My question is or opinion is do you guys think I should leave it be? The thing that really has me contemplating is these 2 girls that are missing. I am only looking for serious recommendations as this is honestly a serious situation. Thanks in advance.

KFitzy87

Re: Fostering a child

Do you have any more info on how exactly the girl was saying she "hated" living there? Did it appear she was just throwing a temper tantrum or did she honestly seem like she needed to live somewhere else....

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    So I had a really weird experience tonight. My girlfriend and I were heading home from a friends tonight and seen a child running out the front door with the mother chasing after her. The lady signals me to help, so I tell gf to stop immediately. I jump out of the car and stop the girl from running away. I find out that the lady chasing her was the foster parent. The girl is yelling the whole time that she hates living there and doesnt want to go back. I ended up walking her home but am really just torn on what to do. I did call the police and they said they were sending out a couple squad cars to check it out. My question is or opinion is do you guys think I should leave it be? The thing that really has me contemplating is these 2 girls that are missing. I am only looking for serious recommendations as this is honestly a serious situation. Thanks in advance.
    Probably just a girl angry at her parents, however you did the right thing in calling the cops. I don't think there is much else you would be able to do.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

Leave what be? You called the police. What are you imagining is happening? MANY children in foster homes "hate" being there--at least some of the time, simply because it isn't their parents' house. Such protests can also be a manipulative form of behavior. If there is an issue of abuse, the police will take care of it. You did your job.

BTW--I hope this is something that you saw happening, not "seen". I'm serious. I'm tired of rampant bad grammar that comes solely from ignorance.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,866
    Given: 882

Re:Fostering a child

Yeah, you did about all you could do. Foster parenting a child would have to be tough (but rewarding). Who knows what kind of situation that child came from, and kids can be rough enough on you, even when you're their real parent.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 55

have you considered that these people might actually be doing absolutely nothing wrong and this is just a distraught child who's completely emotionally unstable after being taken away from their birth parents?

IMO you are completely out of line if you try to involve yourself. you already called the cops. what more do you honestly think you're gonna do?

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Good job. Let dhs or the pd take it from there.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by stevefrench View Post
    have you considered that these people might actually be doing absolutely nothing wrong and this is just a distraught child who's completely emotionally unstable after being taken away from their birth parents?IMO you are completely out of line if you try to involve yourself. you already called the cops. what more do you honestly think you're gonna do?
    Im not trying to involve myself in there situation but just very hard when put in that position. The only part that had me really uptight ia the fact not knowing what is going on. I just didnt want to be that person to let it go and then read something in the paper a couple days later. I do agree with what most of you have to say by letting it go. Wasnt trying to be out of line, was just really bothered by what I had been apart of at that time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 61

I'm a licensed foster parent. Anything you want to know?

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 5

Re:Fostering a child

Thank you for caring. Good to see some people will stop to help. You did everything right in my book.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 61

You didn't describe anything that would constitute witnessing abuse. Your account doesn't have the child claiming to be abused (directly). You don't say how you found out they were a foster family (so there's a chance you were lied to). I'm presuming you called the police on the possibility that there was abuse based on the child's behavior (which isn't conclusive but could be suspicious).

Calling the police seems reasonable. Had you witnessed something worse, or if you just had some bad gut feeling, I suppose you could have stayed until the police arrived.

I'm going to bed now. I'll try to remember to check this thread tomorrow sometime.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    You didn't describe anything that would constitute witnessing abuse. Your account doesn't have the child claiming to be abused (directly). You don't say how you found out they were a foster family (so there's a chance you were lied to). I'm presuming you called the police on the possibility that there was abuse based on the child's behavior (which isn't conclusive but could be suspicious).Calling the police seems reasonable. Had you witnessed something worse, or if you just had some bad gut feeling, I suppose you could have stayed until the police arrived.I'm going to bed now. I'll try to remember to check this thread tomorrow sometime.
    When I caught the girl, the mother said she was the foster parent that. That she.was trying to run away.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    I'm a licensed foster parent. Anything you want to know?
    I guess im not as concerned since I know the police were heading to the house. Im more concerned about what is going on there. I know it may not be my bussiness but my concern is for the girl. Im not saying the girl got abused but just curious why she would try to run away if something wasnt ok. I do realize that the girl may be very emotional or upset with the whole situation in general. Im not being judgemental towards the parents just never had a situation like this occur to me.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Foster parenting is hard. Kind of like being a police officer. Everyone remembers the dick officer and not the one that let you go with a warning, or the one that looked the other way when you were doing donuts in your home town. If you really want to take this seriously, then go through the arduous process to become a foster parent and help many children. You really cannot do more. Obviously this event has effected you and you want to do something, more power to you.

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,296
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 69

i would think you did the right thing, the police should check it out and take action if neccessary. From people that i know that have fostered children is that the a lot of the kids come out of really bad situations and are messed up, no matter what environment you put them in, they will act out.

Although i would assume that there are bad foster parents out there and you did the right thing. Not much else you can do, unless you want to become a foster parent yourself.