Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 64,960, Level: 79
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,490
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Heath, TX
    Posts
    3,156
    Points
    64,960
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 199

    Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Many of you may have already seen this. I hadn't and didn't see a listing in any of the forums that I searched. Southwest's website shows that beginning September 30th they will be flying into and out of Des Moines. DSM just became a less expensive destination for fall football!


    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 30,349, Level: 53
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    jbindm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,182
    Points
    30,349
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 560
    Given: 302

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by TXCyclones View Post
    Many of you may have already seen this. I hadn't and didn't see a listing in any of the forums that I searched. Southwest's website shows that beginning September 30th they will be flying into and out of Des Moines. DSM just became a less expensive destination for fall football!
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...coming-dm.html



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,405, Level: 68
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,883
    Points
    49,405
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Flying out doesn't seem to be affected. I did some price comparisons just this morning for a one way ticket to Pittsburgh. My wife is driving out and I'm going out after her and we'll drive back. It's still cheaper to fly United than SWA. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. I'm going to wait to see if anyhting changes before I book them though.



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 56,459, Level: 73
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Goothrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,208
    Points
    56,459
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 32

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    More options is nice. As it stands I can only take American/American Eagle to get back home(which I'm doing in 3 weeks).


    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

    Check out my ratings site!

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,959, Level: 20
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    227
    Points
    4,959
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 5

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    More options is always nice.

    People still have the mindset that Southwest is some low cost airline. They are not. They just have a different way of operating which is always good. People still believe they are cheap from a few years ago when they could keep their prices low because they hedged fuel well. That's not the case anymore.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 18,882, Level: 41
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    785
    Points
    18,882
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
    More options is always nice.

    People still have the mindset that Southwest is some low cost airline. They are not. They just have a different way of operating which is always good. People still believe they are cheap from a few years ago when they could keep their prices low because they hedged fuel well. That's not the case anymore.
    last week offered Chicago for $69, not low cost?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 92,066, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,515
    Points
    92,066
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
    More options is always nice.

    People still have the mindset that Southwest is some low cost airline. They are not. They just have a different way of operating which is always good. People still believe they are cheap from a few years ago when they could keep their prices low because they hedged fuel well. That's not the case anymore.
    History seems to suggest the "Southwest Effect" is for real. Granted, they have lost their fuel priced advantaged.

    There is a reason it is rumored that Frountier and Allegiant might pull out of DSM eventually. If the cheaper priced market is taken over by Southwest, there won't be anything left for them to pick up in DSM. If Southwest wasn't going to bring in lower fares, they would be no reason for the discount airlines to leave....assuming that is what eventually occurs.


    CCG

  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,959, Level: 20
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    227
    Points
    4,959
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 5

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by terryk View Post
    last week offered Chicago for $69, not low cost?
    Maybe a sale?

    People still have this idea that Southwest will be the low cost option all the time every time if they are in your market. They are not.

    That's all I'm saying.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 113,206, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,408
    Points
    113,206
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 594
    Given: 498

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Even if SWA is about the same price as other airlines, I'd go with SWA. No change fees and no baggage fees FTW! Also, SWA is known to bring many nonstops to medium size markets but only if their service gets used. So as well as no change fees and no baggage fees, fly southwest because if their service gets used adequately, we could see nonstops to Florida, California, Nashville, Dallas, and more!


    "The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,959, Level: 20
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    227
    Points
    4,959
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 5

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    History seems to suggest the "Southwest Effect" is for real. Granted, they have lost their fuel priced advantaged.

    There is a reason it is rumored that Frountier and Allegiant might pull out of DSM eventually. If the cheaper priced market is taken over by Southwest, there won't be anything left for them to pick up in DSM.
    That's not a "Southwest Effect" anymore without the fuel advantage. It's an increased competition effect. Southwest has been for 10-20 years the real only nationwide airline that has not been flying to as many cities as the legacy carriers were. They are starting to branch out more and we will see how that works for them.

    Sure that might happen if Southwest starts flying direct or non-stop to the west from Des Moines. You increase seats by 20% to Denver or 100% to Las Vegas with a Southwest flight that way, you better see a like increase in demand or someones probably going to start losing money.



  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,959, Level: 20
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    227
    Points
    4,959
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 5

    Re: Southwest Airlines >Des Moines Sept 30

    Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Even if SWA is about the same price as other airlines, I'd go with SWA. No change fees and no baggage fees FTW! Also, SWA is known to bring many nonstops to medium size markets but only if their service gets used. So as well as no change fees and no baggage fees, fly southwest because if their service gets used adequately, we could see nonstops to Florida, California, Nashville, Dallas, and more!
    Absolutely. I'm flying SWA from San Diego to Las Vegas in a couple weeks. It's a $25 savings with the bags and that's a deal maker on such a short flight.

    I would bet we are not going to see non-stop flights from DSM to California....ever or Florida... almost ever. Not from Southwest the way they work. Direct flights sure. But they will stop in Nashville or Denver first most likely.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM