Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

The Newsroom

Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston...

Highly recommend this show. Last night's episode was awesome.

Anyone else watching?

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The Newsroom

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post

Anyone else watching?
    After watching the clip that 'went viral' it didn't look like it was for me. Without getting too political, I didn't appreciate the blatant pandering to the 40 and above crowd. Calling my generation the very worst generation so far is a stretch. And then to blame the problems of today on the 25 and below crowd made me laugh.

That whole speech was a giant flag meant to get the attention of older generations and then captivate them with a feel good wrap up. Blah, not edgy or new at all. /end rant.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,010
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 79

Anyone else watching?
    It really is a well-written series. I thoroughly enjoy it, but I find myself rewinding it over-and-over just to catch some of the dialouge. The pace is so fast yet so monotone that its easy to miss some great lines.

Excerpt when the panel is asked if USA is still the greatest country in the world, Jeff Daniels responds:

"It’s not the greatest country in the world, professor. That’s my answer.

"Cheryn, the NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn’t cost money. It costs votes. It costs air time and column inches. You know why people don’t like liberals? Cuz they lose. If liberals are so smart why do they lose so goddamn always? And with a straight face, you’re going to tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia! Belgium! has freedom. So, 207 sovereign states in the world and 180 of them have freedom.

"And yeah, you, sorority girl. Just in case you ever wander into a voting booth one day, there’s some things you should know and one of them is: there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we are the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 179th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, 4th in exports. We lead the world in only 3 categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, a defense spending - where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.

"Now, none of this is the fault of a 20 year old college student, but you nonetheless are without a doubt a member of the worst - period - generation - period - ever - period. So when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Yosemite?

"It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We struck laws - we passed down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty not poor people. We sacrificed. We cared about our neighbors. We put our money were our mouths were and we never beat our chests. We built great big things and made ungodly technological advances and explored the universe, cured disease. And we cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy.

"We reached for the stars. Acted like men. We aspired to intelligence - we didn’t belittle it, it didn’t make us feel inferior. We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and, we didn’t scare so easy.

"We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed by great men - men who were revered.

"First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Enough?"

Last edited by TXCyclones; 07-16-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    After watching the clip that 'went viral' it didn't look like it was for me. Without getting too political, I didn't appreciate the blatant pandering to the 40 and above crowd. Calling my generation the very worst generation so far is a stretch. And then to blame the problems of today on the 25 and below crowd made me laugh.

That whole speech was a giant flag meant to get the attention of older generations and then captivate them with a feel good wrap up. Blah, not edgy or new at all. /end rant.
    The show doesn't center around that speech but more about biased news media and trying to stop it which is a really good message. There are many ways that our generation is the worst to be honest but that was the attention getter not the substance of the show. I didn't take it as blaming this generation for the world problems so much as they are a product of the worlds problems.

I am not a news junkie or a drama junkie, but this show had me hooked from the start. Great writing and format (each episode centers around a major news event) and a really good cast.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    The show doesn't center around that speech but more about biased news media and trying to stop it which is a really good message. There are many ways that our generation is the worst to be honest but that was the attention getter not the substance of the show. I didn't take it as blaming this generation for the world problems so much as they are a product of the worlds problems.

I am not a news junkie or a drama junkie, but this show had me hooked from the start. Great writing and format (each episode centers around a major news event) and a really good cast.
    I realize it is a drama, but that clip was literally a biased dramatization about exactly what the show is supposed to be stopping (or in drama pointing a finger at reality and saying this should stop).

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You should really watch an episode rather than just a clip. The show is about media and providing the truth rather than a biased version meant to entertain, get ratings, and/or push a political or economic agenda.

Never mind your generation. If you watch TMZ, real houswives, jersey shore, bachelor, etc., and like it, you probably won't like this show. (I don't care if you watch for entertainment reasons, it's depressing and ridiculous that people need to watch this staged crap to 1) be entertained and 2) feel better about their own lives...)

I'm 31, and my brother is 29. Both of us love this show, but we of course both loved West Wing and Studio 60 as well. Snappy, smart dialogue and amazing monlogues are Aaron Sorkin traits.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

I realize it is a drama, but that clip was literally a biased dramatization about exactly what the show is supposed to be stopping (or in drama pointing a finger at reality and saying this should stop).
    There was some opinion to it, but a lot of facts about where we stand in the world right now that should be seem pretty disturbing.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 44

This show is great. Smart and funny. HBO is almost always good TV.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    There was some opinion to it, but a lot of facts about where we stand in the world right now that should be seem pretty disturbing.
    That is it, I love the facts. That needs to be said. It should be shouted out a bull horn at local news stations. Then it took a turn for the ****** when he started a love afair with his own generation.

The show is meant for forward thinking, moderate income, college educated crowd or higher. It sounds like it is trying to fight the fox news and every other sensationalized news media outlet that panders to the greatest audience. A show that does this and openly paints the past with a rose colored brush is asinine to me. Ignoring the failures of yesterday while blaming the kids of tomorrow for today's problems is infuriating.

I am sure it is well written, and I am sure the actors are great(it is HBO and it should be) but I cannot swallow that pill.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    This show is great. Smart and funny. HBO is almost always good TV.
    Agree with the almost always... Hung was exceptionally bad in my opinion. Mostly due to poor acting and casting.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The show is meant for forward thinking, moderate income, college educated crowd or higher. It sounds like it is trying to fight the fox news and every other sensationalized news media outlet that panders to the greatest audience. A show that does this and openly paints the past with a rose colored brush is asinine to me. Ignoring the failures of yesterday while blaming the kids of tomorrow for today's problems is infuriating.
    You're stuck on one line in the opening monologue. The point wasn't that his generation was amazing and that the new generation is terrible. The point was that everyone is walking around thinking the US is the greatest country in the world with absolutely nothing to back that up. At one point, the US was the leader, and now we're an also-ran.

And to say they are ignoring the failures of yesterday is also way off. The show specifically looks at major headlines from the past and displays the failures of the media. Also, at no point does it go into another tirade about blaming this generation...

The entire premise of the show is how the american people are no longer "informed" and thus making really poor decisions regarding the future of the country. In some cases it is political, (seriously, look at the candidates that have been running for office), in others it has to do with how much control corporate america has, and in others the show just references the idiocy in "entertainment" television.

There are very smart people out there that have learned how to sway the general populace in whichever direction they choose by applying funds and misinformation as required. The fact that you can go on television and mis-state facts over and over to sway public opinion is breathtaking. People get caught up in whatever cause they are in and will believe whatever they hear on the news, no matter the source.

The Newsroom examines all of that in the first four episodes, while only dissing the current generation once in the first five minutes of the first episode... Again, I encourage you to watch more than the clip that you've seen before you form your opinion. I promise, if nothing else, you'll learn a few things. (which is more than I can say for those that watch 'reality' television...)

Last edited by BKLYNCyclone; 07-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 44

That is it, I love the facts. That needs to be said. It should be shouted out a bull horn at local news stations. Then it took a turn for the ****** when he started a love afair with his own generation.

I am sure it is well written, and I am sure the actors are great(it is HBO and it should be) but I cannot swallow that pill.
    Well, it is certainly not as asinine as judging and formulating a strong opinion about a show you have never actually watched, based on one clip.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Well, it is certainly not as asinine as judging and formulating a strong opinion about a show you have never actually watched, based on one clip.
    You are right, me forming an opinion off of a clip that went viral along with multiple reviews makes me asinine. Who knew.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You are right, me forming an opinion off of a clip that went viral along with multiple reviews makes me asinine. Who knew.
    Not asinine, just happily uninformed... You're probably right, you won't like this show.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,010
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 79

You're stuck on one line in the opening monologue. The point wasn't that his generation was amazing and that the new generation is terrible. The point was that everyone is walking around thinking the US is the greatest country in the world with absolutely nothing to back that up. At one point, the US was the leader, and now we're an also-ran.

And to say they are ignoring the failures of yesterday is also way off. The show specifically looks at major headlines from the past and displays the failures of the media. Also, at no point does it go into another tirade about blaming this generation...

The entire premise of the show is how the american people are no longer "informed" and thus making really poor decisions regarding the future of the country. In some cases it is political, (seriously, look at the candidates that have been running for office), in others it has to do with how much control corporate america has, and in others the show just references the idiocy in "entertainment" television.

There are very smart people out there that have learned how to sway the general populace in whichever direction they choose by applying funds and misinformation as required. The fact that you can go on television and mis-state facts over and over to sway public opinion is breathtaking. People get caught up in whatever cause they are in and will believe whatever they hear on the news, no matter the source.

The Newsroom examines all of that in the first four episodes, while only dissing the current generation once in the first five minutes of the first episode... Again, I encourage you to watch more than the clip that you've seen before you form your opinion. I promise, if nothing else, you'll learn a few things. (which is more than I can say for those that watch 'reality' television...)

Nicely stated. It takes interesting news at a point in time and points out how we, as Americans, form deep opinions based off of a sound bite without delving for further explanation or facts, and then jump from sound bite to sound bite while forgetting past instances. In one scene it shows two people being interviewed stating emphatically how their organization is fighting big business while being completely oblivious to the fact that 90% of their own organizations funding comes directly from big business.

It really shows just how manipulated we are as a populace on a daily basis.

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.