Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

Skin Cancer

Wife just had a spot biopsied this week and sure enough...Basal Cell Carcinoma. Thankfully, that is the "best" skin cancer to have and resolving it is fairly easy. Gotta wait 4 weeks before they can get her back in to finish it off though which is kind of annoying.

She's only 37 so paranoid now about every little blemish on her body.

Anyone else here had to deal with this?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Re: Skin Cancer

My parents have had similar cases... I hear it's actually fairly common - graft it outta there and keep up with the follow up visits and youll be fine

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah...I've had several moles removed throughout my lifetime, but they've all been benign so far. One of those things I guess. I feel bad for her and keep trying to tell her it isn't a big deal...very common and easy to resolve, but all she hears is "you have cancer". I think if they could get her in earlier to take care of it then it would be better. 4 weeks of her worrying about it is probably going to wear on me.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

My dad had it - it was very easy to treat, but it's scary. I've done radiation for a different type of cancer, but you just plug through it. She'll do great, I'm sure they got a pretty good margin and can tell her if it spread.

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Yeah...I've had several moles removed throughout my lifetime, but they've all been benign so far. One of those things I guess. I feel bad for her and keep trying to tell her it isn't a big deal...very common and easy to resolve, but all she hears is "you have cancer". I think if they could get her in earlier to take care of it then it would be better. 4 weeks of her worrying about it is probably going to wear on me.
    there's no real easy way to hear that, but after a bit of discussion with your care provider she'll come to terms. just give it some time

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pretty small spot...just makes you wonder about all the other spots on your body all of a sudden. This just started with an itchy spot that would bleed a little and then "heal". After a few months, I told her to get it checked out. Pretty shocked it was actually something.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 152

My gf got a new mole on her foot and one on the inside of her lip. The foot got checked out this week and haven't heard back, the lip requires a different doctor.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 192

Yes, easy to treat. But, it can get rough if left untreated or ignored. Just have to keep up with it. My family has a fairly extensive history with skin cancer. I've been clear so far (only 20 right now), but I am always on the lookout...paranoid to some extent.

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I'm super paranoid about skin cancer. Best of luck! You are right - basal cell carcinomas are easy to treat if caught early. Always be vigilant - skin cancer rates will only continue to rise with our generation.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 125

Cancer of any kind is scary, best of luck!

I personally combat skin cancer by never leaving my parent's basement.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Wife just had a spot biopsied this week and sure enough...Basal Cell Carcinoma. Thankfully, that is the "best" skin cancer to have and resolving it is fairly easy. Gotta wait 4 weeks before they can get her back in to finish it off though which is kind of annoying.

I grew up on a golf course and in a swimming pool (Echo Valley CC then DMCC) and did the blistering burn every summer for too many years. Went to my normal derm when I was 25-ish and we started taking moles off. We'd take 2 off a year and each one would test as (at the time) a dysplastic nevus. Basically pre-cancer. After moving and changing doctors and doing the same routine, my derm quit cutting them out saying we know exactly what they will be - dysplastic nevi. For him, unless and until we started seeing changes in any of them, we would leave them all in place.

Several years ago - age 44-ish - I had a sore open on my forehead that grew quickly. Went in, biopsy, and its basal. Cut it out but then on the other side of my forehead - about a month later - had the same thing. Another basal... cut it out. Then I asked about the crusty thing on my ear. Squamous. Used some anti-cancer cream that made my face peel and bleed but it went away.

Long story short - NO big deal with the basal and squamous. For me its paying the price of my childhood but I am pretty rigorous about both sunscreen and my annual full body (sack included) skin cancer check with my derm. As far as cancers go, you'll never see a telethon or road race or even a wristband for basal or squamous cancer.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Yes. About four years ago had a spot on my face come back Basal Cell. Went back in about three weeks to have it removed. He used local anesthetic and took a about a 1/4" by 1" strip. I have a slight scar that I tell people I got when a hawkeye cut me one day. Dr.'s a Iowa grad.
    Not to worry, I got his tires on the way out of the parking lot.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    I grew up on a golf course and in a swimming pool (Echo Valley CC then DMCC) and did the blistering burn every summer for too many years. Went to my normal derm when I was 25-ish and we started taking moles off. We'd take 2 off a year and each one would test as (at the time) a dysplastic nevus. Basically pre-cancer. After moving and changing doctors and doing the same routine, my derm quit cutting them out saying we know exactly what they will be - dysplastic nevi. For him, unless and until we started seeing changes in any of them, we would leave them all in place.

Several years ago - age 44-ish - I had a sore open on my forehead that grew quickly. Went in, biopsy, and its basal. Cut it out but then on the other side of my forehead - about a month later - had the same thing. Another basal... cut it out. Then I asked about the crusty thing on my ear. Squamous. Used some anti-cancer cream that made my face peel and bleed but it went away.

Long story short - NO big deal with the basal and squamous. For me its paying the price of my childhood but I am pretty rigorous about both sunscreen and my annual full body (sack included) skin cancer check with my derm. As far as cancers go, you'll never see a telethon or road race or even a wristband for basal or squamous cancer.

As mentioned, I've had a ton of moles (I think about 2 dozen) removed during my lifetime. Every one checked out ok until this last year and one came back atypical. Had to go back in and they cut wider margins and supposedly it was ok. Said it was mild to moderate dysplastic so nothing too major, but the think healed as a keloid in the middle of my back and now I have this really nasty looking scar. I actually go in for my annual screening in a couple weeks. Derm hasn't seen it since last year. I'm sure she'll love the keloid scarring.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

Not skin cancer, but breast cancer gallops through my wife's family. Plus there's the abnormal amount of scar tissue that my wife has in her uterus, putting her at greater risk for ovarian and uterine cancer. So there's those things we hope and pray to never find on my wife's body.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I just mentioned this a few days ago in the surgery thread. I had surgery to get melanoma cut of of my stomach in early April. I was very lucky. Was stage 2 before I even went in. Grew out instead of deep, or I would be screwed. Very paranoid of the sun now. Every morning when she gets out of the shower just slather sunscreen all over her :). That's what I do.

BTW, 4 weeks sounds like a long time. I found out on a Monday and was in the operating room on Friday. If you feel like it should be earlier I would let them know and see what they can do for you. But trust them, because they deal with deal and treat it everyday. Hers may be very early.

Last edited by ISUcy08; 07-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    2009 Insight Bowl Champions!