Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 149

Big 12 Schedule Delayed

Looks like there is multiple things holding up the release of the Big 12 Times and TV schedule, including the Longhorns fighting to get 3 games on their network again. Can't say I'm surprised with the LHN battle. I just hope that our game against them doesn't end up on there, like our basketball game this past year was on the LHN. If that is the case, we could potentially have no way to watch it, unless they allow a local Iowa network to play a feed.

I don't care what anyone says in support of Texas. No matter what, they look out for nobody but numero uno, and they are just doing the same old crap they've always done. The only difference is that whenever they concede on something, they like to make us feel like we are getting a favor from them and that they should be praised for it like the wonderful giving people they are.

TV talks delay release of Big 12 football start times Sports The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Big 12 Schedule Delayed

My prediction is that the LHN gets their non-conference Wyoming and New Mexico games on there. The question is which conference game they are trying to get. The most realistic options I'd say are either Baylor, TCU, or ISU. From a strategical standpoint, you'd think they would really want either the Baylor or TCU game on there, just like they wanted the Texas Tech game on there last year. They are having a hard enough time getting carriers in Texas to pick up their network, much less the U.S.. With that being said, both of those games would have a bigger local demand to watch in Texas than the ISU game. Other less likely options in my mind would be the OU game (never going to happen) or the West Virginia game (most likely will be aired on ESPN or ABC).

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

If it's our game pony up a donation so JP can buy a feed for Cyclones.tv. We had the option to buy the basketball game and we chose not to.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    If it's our game pony up a donation so JP can buy a feed for Cyclones.tv. We had the option to buy the basketball game and we chose not to.
    My gripe is over the debate the schools had prior to expansion on whether conference games should be allowed to be played on 3rd tier networks. Texas said they get up to 3 games while others in the conference said they didn't. We still don't know the exact details. I personally think 3rd tier networks can have all the non-conference games they want, but conference games should be left to the 1st and 2nd tier contracts. Things get funny there with the LHN though as ESPN has the 1st tier rights and own the LHN, so they are going to try to swing things in their favor.

At least we are better off now with this same argument being had within the new television contract than in the old one. In the old one, our paycheck depended on where the game was shown to some extent (unequal revenue sharing). At least now, we get paid the same no matter what network we are shown on, as 1st and 2nd tier revenue is split equally.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Also, with conference games, I think we shouldn't have to pay to be on TV, but rather get paid to be on TV.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Here is a good article on the likely holdup...probably the Longhorn network and if Fox allows their Tier 1 picks to put on the Tier 3 network to count against the Team appearance limit for Tier 1 or not.

Matt's College Sports Media Blog: What's the holdup in the Big 12/ESPN/FOX contract?

As far as which conference game they're trying to get put on the LHN, you said its probably either TCU, ISU, or Baylor. TCU is penciled in as Texas' national TV Thanksgiving game, so there is no way that is going on LHN. That means either ISU or Baylor will be on LHN if either of the schools agree to it. Although I think LHN will push for Baylor, I would guess Baylor might turn them down, even for a big fat check. I figure ISU will probably make the appearance on LHN this year in return for a couple of million.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

I would bet they prefer the Baylor game on the LHN, and I personally couldn't care less if our game ends up there. Someone will set up a feed online, and I'll hook my computer up to my TV.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 446

It's been said once and I will say it again...it's not Texas causing these problems of scheduling games on LHN, it's ESPN! Texas doesn't own or run the network, ESPN does and pays them $11 million per year. Texas gets the same money from ESPN regardless if they schedule 1 game or 12 game on the LHN. ESPN is doing this because they are trying to make as much money as they can off the Longhorn network. So they are trying to schedule more games on it.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 150

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    Looks like there is multiple things holding up the release of the Big 12 Times and TV schedule, including the Longhorns fighting to get 3 games on their network again. Can't say I'm surprised with the LHN battle. I just hope that our game against them doesn't end up on there, like our basketball game this past year was on the LHN. If that is the case, we could potentially have no way to watch it, unless they allow a local Iowa network to play a feed.

I don't care what anyone says in support of Texas. No matter what, they look out for nobody but numero uno, and they are just doing the same old crap they've always done. The only difference is that whenever they concede on something, they like to make us feel like we are getting a favor from them and that they should be praised for it like the wonderful giving people they are.
    Where in that article does it say that UT is fighting to get three games on LHN? The only mention of LHN is in the paragraph below, it's just speculation by the writer...

Texasí desire to show as many as three games on Longhorn Network (operated by ESPN), which athletic director DeLoss Dodds expressed in May, is another possible snag in current negotiations. Longhorn Network was able to broadcast two Texas home football games last season.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Where in that article does it say that UT is fighting to get three games on LHN? The only mention of LHN is in the paragraph below, it's just speculation by the writer...
    Been mentioned in a number of places that is the mutual desire of both parties to show 3 games...the 2 non-conf games are pretty locked in, but a B12 team has to mutually agree to appear in a conference contest (assumedly for a little $ in return)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    Also, with conference games, I think we shouldn't have to pay to be on TV, but rather get paid to be on TV.
    When Texas buys out the game from Fox/ESPN, we do get paid.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    It's been said once and I will say it again...it's not Texas causing these problems of scheduling games on LHN, it's ESPN! Texas doesn't own or run the network, ESPN does and pays them $11 million per year. Texas gets the same money from ESPN regardless if they schedule 1 game or 12 game on the LHN. ESPN is doing this because they are trying to make as much money as they can off the Longhorn network. So they are trying to schedule more games on it.
    Wasn't this debunked the last time this argument went on? Texas has a major say with what is on LHN.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    Been mentioned in a number of places that is the mutual desire of both parties to show 3 games...the 2 non-conf games are pretty locked in, but a B12 team has to mutually agree to appear in a conference contest (assumedly for a little $ in return)
    I agree. It isn't all ESPN wanting this to succeed. It is in both parties interest for the LHN to succeed, and it isn't all monetarily. In fact, I've heard Dodds talk himself about wanting to show 3 games on there. The bickering match over the 1 vs. 3 games was always specifically between him and the other conference members in interviews (I remember his cocky arrogant tone with it too when he made comments), while all the ESPN stuff was always also there but behind closed doors. While Texas does get paid no matter what, you think Dodds likes the griping from his fanbase about the floundering network that nobody carries and that his own fans can never watch? Absolutely not. He said it himself that he wants a successful LHN to be his legacy he leaves (Again, another interview I watched a while ago). Therefore, I don't buy it for a second that it is 100% ESPN in this.

Last edited by Triggermv; 07-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Remember, both schools have to agree to the LHN. If the other school says no, then that's it. There's no reason Texas shouldn't have the ability to make as much money as they can so long as both parties consent. Texas is not the enemy, they are the scapegoat.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I would bet they prefer the Baylor game on the LHN, and I personally couldn't care less if our game ends up there. Someone will set up a feed online, and I'll hook my computer up to my TV.
    Not going to say I wouldn't do the same thing, but we would be in the minority and most fans would be stuck with only the radio option. This ultimately isn't good for ISU exposure in its own state, much less nationally.